Water Tank Hookups? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 06:43 AM   #1

Name: Angela
Trailer: In the market- vintage
Indiana
Water Tank Hookups?

Hey guys! I could use some help. I am trying to figure out the purpose of these three hook-ups to our water tank. I’m assuming this tank Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8984.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	119813is original to our Burro, but can’t be sure. We bought it, as is, with only the one hose hooked up to it. I’m thinking that one is for water intake, one is for the water to be pumped to the sink, but what it the third? A type of burper, perhaps??
MommaFos5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:35 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Water tanks usually have three connections.

A fill at the top.

An exit to the water pump near the bottom (generally self priming) which could be at the top if there is a tube inside the tank so that the pickup is near the bottom. An extremely awkward way of plumbing.

An overflow, also at the top and often routed to the vicinity of the fill door.

The inlet is usually much larger diameter than the overflow.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Overflow/vent as Steve said. It will usually pipe back to the fill, which has a vent outlet.

https://smile.amazon.com/JR-Products...s=Rv+fill+vent
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaFos5 View Post
Hey guys! I could use some help. I am trying to figure out the purpose of these three hook-ups to our water tank. I’m assuming this tank Attachment 119813is original to our Burro, but can’t be sure. We bought it, as is, with only the one hose hooked up to it. I’m thinking that one is for water intake, one is for the water to be pumped to the sink, but what it the third? A type of burper, perhaps??
That tank will lie with the openings on the side. The largest opening is closest to the top. The largest opening is where you attach the fill hose. The other small opening towards the top is where you attach the vent hose. The water won't pump out unless there is a vent, air has to be able to enter to replace the water you pump out, (otherwise the container would have to be able to collapse to squeeze the water out of it). The lowest opening is where you hook up your pump to take water to the faucet.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Our Scamp 5er vents out the bottom of our trailer, but we bought a fill port for our Surfside project trailer that has a vent built in, so where the vent line goes depends on your setup. But, yea, the air needs a way to escape as you fill the tank.

I cut off a piece of a Scotch Brite copper coated scrubbing pad and stuffed it into the exposed end of the vent tube under the trailer to prevent vermin from climbing up there and blocking the vent.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
There may also a tank drain port. Or, the outlet to the pump may have a drain cock in line.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:13 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I am learning here. So the vent tube or pipe. What keeps insects from crawling up it? Is there a screen? Thank you.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:36 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I am learning here. So the vent tube or pipe. What keeps insects from crawling up it? Is there a screen? Thank you.
Tom, all the RVs I've had had the tank vent hole next to the filler inlet behind the tank fill door. Never had any problem with insects...that I know of. If the vent tube was run through the floor and open ended, a bit of screen over the end would fix it. IDK, maybe in the scope of things, that may be a 1 out 100 to worry about .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
In the case of my Scamp 5er, nothing. That's why I pushed a piece of ScotchBrite copper scrubber mesh up the tube. It won't keep the tinyest in the bugs from invading my fresh water tank, but it will keep things like mud daubers and other bigger buggies out. That said, I may have done this out an abundance of caution. I haven't heard anyone on FIberglassRV complain about bugs in their fresh water system.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #10

Registry
If you're refurbishing/upgrading your trailer, there are plenty of fill ports on the market that block the fresh water vent tube when closed. That's what we've installed on our SurfSide project trailer.