For Sale: 1987 scamp 16Standard standard - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-31-2020, 06:59 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
1987 scamp 16Standard standard

SOLD 1987 Scamp 16 camper, Layout 4. We bought this last year from the 2nd owner in Southern Indiana, the first owner was from Arizona and we have the original purchase papers.. Last year when bought I I spent about 4 weeks of free time working on maintenance and repairs. The main areas of effort included replacing the front subfloor caused from a leak where the electrical connection caused wood rot and the fiberglass shell delaminated. To fix the area, 3/4 exterior rated plywood subfloor was used to replace the front particle/wafer board. The fiberglass bonds were done again with a thicker marine quality resin/fiber layer than done at the factory. The gas line as the time was cut and we never re plumbed the gas line from the front as we did not intend to use the gas appliances inside. I believe the appliances would be just fine if the connection was replaced . After the floor repair the front windshield seal was replaced, the rear window was removed and re sealed due to a minor leak. The front bench/bunk was then re installed.

Next The rear spare tire mount was removed and relocated to the tongue. The rear spare mounts to the body in the Scamps without the interior reinforcement is a horrible idea. Brand new wheels and tires were installed and have less than 5000miles on them. A new skylight/vent cover was also installed. The biggest thing is the fiberglass was cleaned and all rivets were removed so the button snap bases and all snap caps were replaced. Only the rivets that remain are the ones that hold the curtain rod brackets while all other rivets were upgraded with stainless machine screws/nuts.

After all this was done we took it to Wisconsin Dells, Mackinac Island, then a long trip to Branson, Mo to Tennessee and back in October. It worked flawlessly when pulling and when camping while connected to shore power. We used a very small electric heater in 28 degree overnight temps in Branson and were sleeping in our undies!! . The old A/C works beautifully and kept us comfortable in the Dells when it was 96 degrees outside.

The interior lighting all works as does the original Dometic refrigerator while on shore power. It also kept items cool on the road essentially as a cooler , which was awesome.

We never used any aspect of the plumbing system in the Scamp.

The front bunks as seen in the pictures have my own designed PVC child safety rails still in place they slide right over the bunk supports. The setup worked well to retain my 1 year old on the bottom bunk and 3 year old on top.

Many years ago the front a frame was reinforced which is a known issue on the 16 models. There s no signs that any damage ever occurred and the welded plates was likely done as a precaution.

There are some flaws in the gelcoat in the form of cracks which is common but they re not water leakage issues at all. There s also a scratch on the left side near the rear marker light, a crack at the very bottom of the shell behind the right wheel, and some stress marks around the shell over the front frame sections from where the shell settled before I fixed it. Again no water or environmental intrusions at these spots.

The hitch is 1 7/8 . All exterior running lights were replaced except the original rear tail units. I have spare tail lenses as well. Bonus

I have a clean title in my name and the plates are current.

We now have a 19 Scamp that needs the time and money now so this one needs a new loving family.. please only message me if you re a serious buyer. I m located about 30 mins south of Milwaukee and about an hour north of Chicago. I ll transport for an agreed upon price after payment is completed.

I WILL miss this trailer.. but we can t keep them all. I think I noted most everything someone may have questions about but I have more pictures available if needed. The trailer is located at my home in Union Grove, Wi which is about 30 mins south of Milwaukee and an hour north of Chicago easy accessed via freeway.

View this ad at Fiberglass Classifieds - 1987 scamp 16Standard standard

jparello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:09 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
1987 Scamp Layout4Standard standard

Just an FYI... The rear spare mount is reinforced in two ways. One, there is a large piece of plywood or OSB (depending on year) fiberglassed to the rear shell on the inside (it also reinforces the table mount). Two, the bolts are welded to a steel plate that distributes the load across the wood. As long as the tire is snugged up against the shell, it is a secure mounting system. Problems usually come when owners fail to reseal the bolt holes and rear window periodically and water gets into the wood.

I can see a lot of care and love in this trailer. Best wishes with your sale!

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:24 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Just an FYI... The rear spare mount is reinforced in two ways. One, there is a large piece of plywood or OSB (depending on year) fiberglassed to the rear shell on the inside (it also reinforces the table mount). Two, the bolts are welded to a steel plate that distributes the load across the wood. As long as the tire is snugged up against the shell, it is a secure mounting system. Problems usually come when owners fail to reseal the bolt holes and rear window periodically and water gets into the wood.

I can see a lot of care and love in this trailer. Best wishes with your sale!
Thank you much.. on your comments about the rear mount-the original mounting method in the older scalps did not involve any plate. It consisted of two bolts through the piece of particle board bonded into the rear panel that the dinette table brackets screw into. That was it. As you probably know, when the rear windows leak and cause that board to rot inevitably, the spare tire mount then loosens up and damages the shell. The rubber tire also discolors the fiberglass gelcoat and traps all sorts of trash behind it.. I had to deal with all of this-I just didnít have room to address it in the description-so thank you for bringing it up.

Iím hopeful we find this little egg a new home.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:04 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Didnít know that. Iíve seen 2-bolt mounting brackets with the steel plate. I wonder not when they started doing that.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:00 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Didnít know that. Iíve seen 2-bolt mounting brackets with the steel plate. I wonder not when they started doing that.

Yessir.. on this one it was just two bolts from inside-supporting with too much tension the outside spare. Once the wood rotted-the wheel/tire obviously loosened and was hanging a bit. Thankfully the bolts never pulled all the way through the glass.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #6

Wisconsin
Sold.