For Sale: 2019 Happier Camper HC1 HC1 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Both sides are correct here. Some people are going to be leery of putting down a large deposit, but unless/until the manufacturer's backlog dwindles, he doesn't have to worry about it much.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
"ESCROW", there is a legal way for sales transactions involving sums of money being transferred, similar to real estate, the deposit/down payment is held by a third party and not released until title is transferred nor refunded unless contingencies have been fulfilled.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #23

Minnesota
Registry
An escrow system would be nice, but again, when the manufacturer has a healthy backlog under his present pricing and deposit scheme, he doesn't have much incentive to deal with the administration and expense of an escrow system.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Mikmay:
I don't find anything not factual in my post which simply quotes the HC website as to their required deposit, compares it to the reported $10k deposit that LS was requiring and reflects on buyers' natural wariness about the risk of a large deposit.

I have no interest in harming any company trying to launch a new FGRV product - quite the contrary. As a potential consumer of a new FGRV, my pointing out the potential risk and concern of a very large deposit seems to me to be helpful marketing data for a manufacturer, not information to be rejected as “harmful”. The reasons for a large deposit may make legitimate sense for the business. Customers however know nothing about the manufacturer’s cash flow and capitalization so the risk for significant loss is real and will be a consideration in the purchase decision. HC and others are of course free to require whatever they choose but in the end, the market will judge their strategies. I do hope that there is a niche for a quality and customizable FG and that HC finds the right strategy to succeed.
David reading back on your original post now I do not see it as being hurtful or with any malice and apologize for my reaction.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
I did not post to disparage the merits of this little trailer. I love it and love the concept. It was a strong contender for my purchase. After my initial shock over the bankruptcy, I immediately thought about the HC1. My $30k budget has now been reduced by $10k and the naked HC1 was my choice. I'm glad you've explained how your deposit is used. After speaking with your sales person, I wasn't able to get a good explanation. I'm still uncomfortable placing a large deposit down but, perhaps, I'll get over it...maybe not! I'll look forward to seeing your new introductions. I've been waiting forever for the new HCT and hope this is one of your future trailers.
Diane I in know way felt you had made any disparaging comments but after what you are going through you are more than entitled to it. Hope this all works out for you and others effected by the LS closure.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #26

Name: David
Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Diane I in know way felt you had made any disparaging comments but after what you are going through you are more than entitled to it. Hope this all works out for you and others effected by the LS closure.
Thanks, Mikmay for calming down and apologizing. Your earlier rants caused me to question if I could ever do business with you due to your volatility.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Mikmay,

You seem to be undermining your argument a bit. First by being defensive. And second, if you can sell all that you can make, and you do not need the deposit as operating capitol, and you realize that people are very leery of putting 50% down in the current climate, why won't you revisit your decision about the deposit? As suggested, a logical solution might be escrow accounts.

This is your chance to work with people that are looking at the HC as an alternative to their recent mistake. A chance for you to confirm that your company is different. An opportunity. But I hear no reassurances that the same problem won't happen with HC, other than you just saying it won't.

Snoozy's are a very practical design and were well made. They were able to sell all that they could make too, as well as having a long list of people waiting. Aside from the long wait and the very high deposit, they seemed just fine, and the owner never let on they weren't.

Looking at it as an uninformed outsider, there are similarities. You may be turning business away by requiring huge deposits you don't need. You're certainly not reassuring possible new customers as you try to build a stronger following and a stronger market share.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #28
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Mikmay,

You seem to be undermining your argument a bit. First by being defensive. And second, if you can sell all that you can make, and you do not need the deposit as operating capitol, and you realize that people are very leery of putting 50% down in the current climate, why won't you revisit your decision about the deposit? As suggested, a logical solution might be escrow accounts.

This is your chance to work with people that are looking at the HC as an alternative to their recent mistake. A chance for you to confirm that your company is different. An opportunity. But I hear no reassurances that the same problem won't happen with HC, other than you just saying it won't.

Snoozy's are a very practical design and were well made. They were able to sell all that they could make too, as well as having a long list of people waiting. Aside from the long wait and the very high deposit, they seemed just fine, and the owner never let on they weren't.

Looking at it as an uninformed outsider, there are similarities. You may be turning business away by requiring huge deposits you don't need. You're certainly not reassuring possible new customers as you try to build a stronger following and a stronger market share.
As I have stated before the HC1 is a highly personalized built trailer more so than any other in this market, also around 25% of our sales are to commercial customers which are even more personalized. The analogy of using an escrow account would work well if all our trailers were cookie cutter just like some say when you buy a finished home, but I doubt you will find many builders who would build you a custom built home or an addition with out a substantial deposit.
Happier Camper is a young company in production for only 2 years and was built on not only our vision of building a great little trailer but also on others including our customers and our investors who have witnessed incredible growth from a single trailer garage with basic hand tools to a huge complex with room to house up to a100 trailers ,all the latest technology including Cnc ,vacuum formers,and more ,we have 4 showrooms in the Us 1 in Canada and one in Japan.even cafes and retail stores in some of them. I can assure you this was not done on deposits .
I don’t know what the circumstances were at LS but I doubt they were on the same trajectory as us and to try to compare us with them is just not fair.
As we grow we have new products that will be introduced ,some very soon and some of those will also be priced competitively with the availability to have a lower deposit but won’t be as customizable
Can we gaurentee we won’t have difficult times ahead ? No just like you or anyone else but trust me after our first couple years I believe we have already had them .
Old 03-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Mikmay,

I'm glad your company is so strong and I wish you great success.

But you still don't seem to address the concerns people have of putting a big deposit down. Simply your word that all is well and that the big deposit is needed because the trailers are custom, does nothing to reduce this concern. It's still a "trust us" argument. And one made in a way that doesn't seem friendly. Remember, the name of your product is "Happier".

Your custom home analogy does not really fly. Normally, banks are involved with custom homes. Progress payments are required that force the builder to keep up or be severely penalized. Building officials issue permits that address many of the surrounding issues and that expect a certain time frame for completion. Utilities will not be turned on until completion. None of those issues apply to trailers.

So again, I'm not saying you have a financial problem, but simply telling your customers "trust us", while expecting them to cough up a huge deposit before you will trust them, is one sided. And the idea that you can sell all you can make, but nobody would ever accept one that was already built, seems like a poor argument to support your case. All this with the backdrop of real concern about large deposits and the fact that Scamp doesn't do it, seems like you are missing an opportunity while simply digging in your heels with no real argument except "trust us". That is what Snoozy was saying too.

People have already said they went to Scamp and bought trailers after being burned by Snoozy. Shouldn't some of them have gone to you instead?

I'm sure you have a lot of credibility, but there is more to reassuring buyers than simply telling them "trust us" and "give us lots of money up front". While at the same time telling them you don't need the money and that you can sell all you can make. All while buyers are able to buy a Scamp without any of that concern. The logic just doesn't add up and it's a arrogant approach to selling.

Maybe a progress payment schedule would alleviate some fears where a token amount got someone on the production list. More was received when the trailer was started, etc.

Or maybe you just have so much business that you don't want any more, but I doubt the investors hold that position. Maybe the future looks so bright you have to wear shades and you're happy to spill off the excess to Scamp or turn away buyers.

Effective sales techniques charge people up to where they can't wait to spend their money. All psychological issues are addressed. Emotions rule. You may be standing in the way of your own success.

BTW, my friend has one of your trailers and loves it. There were a couple of issues that needed refinement, but she was confident you guys were fine tuning the design.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
May I also suggest that you (Mikmay) use spell check and a dictionary app. Read what you've written before posting. Potential customers might wonder about HC's attention to detail when communications contain errors.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
As long as the orders with deposits continue to roll in, this company has no reason to revisit their policy.

If the above situation changes, I am sure they will consider modifications. Until then, the policy is the policy. If someone doesn't like it, there are other companies making other trailers. I don't see the point of badgering Mikmay (even though I personally think the escrow approach is the way I would go if it were my company... but I'm just an armchair quarterback, as are most of you folks).
Old 03-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
May I also suggest that you (Mikmay) use spell check and a dictionary app. Read what you've written before posting. Potential customers might wonder about HC's attention to detail when communications contain errors.
Es Glen Ive herd it Frome ue befour tipeing on a smal fone kee pad withe larg fingers and knot haveing my pooper reeding glassses can sometims bee a problam.comunakative riteing has never bean my strong suit.
Not to worry though other than here I have nothing to do with communication with customers or any one else.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Es Glen Ive herd it Frome ue befour tipeing on a smal fone kee pad withe larg fingers and knot haveing my pooper reeding glassses can sometims bee a problam.comunakative riteing has never bean my strong suit.
Not to worry though other than here I have nothing to do with communication with customers or any one else.
Great post!
Old 03-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:

But, you are representing HC here.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #35

Pennsylvania
Registry
Escape Trailers build custom trailers for only $2500 cn deposit and have been doing so for years. If your product is good enough, being able to sell one quickly if the deposit is forfeited is not an issue. Most are sold within 48 hours. The name for it is called "GOODWILL" and eventually your escrow process can be eliminated, once you have established goodwill via producing a good product for a good price.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
While I might question why a product that is so stated to be so popular requires such a high deposit as "insurance" against walkaways, ultimately a manufacturer is free to require whatever deposit they can secure from a prospective buyer.

It would seem that under this sort of demand, the only substantial risks would be with those units which are so uniquely customized, perhaps for a commercial client, that they might need to be sold at a substantially reduced price.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wienermobile.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	128408

All in all, making such a significant deposit is not something I would be likely to do. But, there's plenty of individuals and companies that seem to do very well without my patronage. So, the last laugh is on me I guess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kardashians.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	128409

Old 03-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #37

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
It seems to me all the Happier Camper's designated spokesman's answers to reasonable financial concerns are at best evasive, or at least, sure don't hold water. There is such a thing us seniors have developed, because we are senior: it's called the smell test.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #38

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yeppers, that is the only thing that gets better with age, intuition.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #39

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
It seems to me all the Happier Camper's designated spokesman's answers to reasonable financial concerns are at best evasive, or at least, sure don't hold water. There is such a thing us seniors have developed, because we are senior: it's called the smell test.
I don't think he has been evasive, it is more that you and others don't like the answer, which is essentially "because I can".

And no, I wouldn't put that big a deposit down either, but as has been stated repeatedly, he is within his rights to ask for it, and apparently plenty of people are willing to do it. Only time will tell if they made the right choice.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:00 AM   #40

Name: A
Trailer: Escape
California
Gee, no wonder fiberglass manufacturers don't contribute on this board.

Everyone seems to know better how they should run their business.

It would be nice to make them feel welcome, instead of holding their feet to the coals demanding answers. I'd love to hear their valuable input on various trailer topics, not attack them for spelling errors.

Welcome Mike!
Closed Thread