Wanted: 3 way fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 04:59 PM   #1

Name: Hannah
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
3 way fridge

Looking for a 3 way fridge for my 1973 Boler. max height 25inches, max depth 19 inches, max with 19 inches

View this ad at Fiberglass Classifieds - 3 way fridge
hannahzaharik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I recommend an RM211. Lots of them out there.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #3

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahzaharik View Post
Looking for a 3 way fridge for my 1973 Boler. max height 25inches, max depth 19 inches, max with 19 inches

View this ad at Fiberglass Classifieds - 3 way fridge
3 way is not worth it. The 12V sucks your battery down in no time at all. Even while driving it will not keep up with the depletion on the battery. We found out the hard way when we accidentallly hit the 12V button and drove all morning with one on 12V. At lunch it was over 45 degrees in the fridge and everything was getting warm. Our trailer battery was dead. Put fridge on porpane and by evening the fridge was cold and the battery recharged. So if you can get just a propane/120V get it. We never use the 12V except to go from a campground to the gas station if only on 12V for a few minutes so we don't have to turn off the fridge before getting to the pumps. Then we fuel up and pull out to the edge and put the fridge on propane. Never fuel up with any appliance on propane. Make sure all are turned off. A spark can cause an explosion of gas fumes. So a sparker on the fridge could cause a fire if there are gas fumes present.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:05 PM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
fridge alternative

we replaced with 75$ walmart dorm fridge
we use 110; in campgrounds and jackery powerpack on road
good solution for us
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:42 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
3 way is not worth it. The 12V sucks your battery down in no time at all. Even while driving it will not keep up with the depletion on the battery. We found out the hard way when we accidentallly hit the 12V button and drove all morning with one on 12V. At lunch it was over 45 degrees in the fridge and everything was getting warm. Our trailer battery was dead. Put fridge on porpane and by evening the fridge was cold and the battery recharged. So if you can get just a propane/120V get it. We never use the 12V except to go from a campground to the gas station if only on 12V for a few minutes so we don't have to turn off the fridge before getting to the pumps. Then we fuel up and pull out to the edge and put the fridge on propane. Never fuel up with any appliance on propane. Make sure all are turned off. A spark can cause an explosion of gas fumes. So a sparker on the fridge could cause a fire if there are gas fumes present.
One, most of the smallest (Boler-size) RV absorption fridges are 3-way, so you get DC function whether you can use it or not. Two, while I agree many tow vehicles are not capable of running a fridge on DC while towing, it’s not a given, and in some cases it can be remedied with heavier wiring. Our other RV- a Class B- runs the fridge fine on DC and recharges the batteries while driving. It’s harder with towed RVs due to smaller alternators and longer wire runs, but not impossible.

If not, then yes, towing with the fridge on propane is possible. In addition to refueling, it also has to be turned off for some longer tunnels and bridges.

For shorter trips, just pre-freeze some food or drinks and toss them in the fridge while you drive. As long as the fridge is pre-cooled and you don’t open the door, that should give you several hours with the fridge off.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:52 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I agree with Jon. 3 way, (12VDC, 120VAC, Propane) is just what is commonly available. You don't have to use the 12VDC option.
I would never install a dorm fridge, unless you know that you will always camp where there is power, like in a camp ground. However, if you think you may, one day, camp in more remote locations, where no power is provided. There are only two practical refrigerator options. One is an absorption fridge, like a three way, that can use propane. The other is a 12VDC compressor fridge and solar power. Typically both of these options can take advantage of an external 120VAC source.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You don't have to be in remote locations to camp without power, either. Many nice public campgrounds don't have hookups, and even when when hookups are available, the unimproved sites are often cheaper and more natural, less like a trailer park.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahzaharik View Post
Here is what I am planning on putting inside my boler 13 footer:
https://www.novakool.com/r3000-1
The cutout is 24.5" high by 19.25" wide by 16.5" deep. It only uses 2.5 amps when running so it is very efficient. I have solar for charging my battery so this should be no problem for me, not sure what you planned on doing.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote