Wanted: Family needs escape pod! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > NEW Fiberglass RV Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Trade
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2019, 07:56 PM   #1

Name: Abby
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Family needs escape pod!

Looking for any brand 14 16 fiberglass trailer. Willing to travel to Idaho, Oregon, and/ or Washington State. Can t afford hotels when traveling with my 4 kids and need something light enough to pull with mini van. Willing to take on small project. Prefer below 5000

Need to show kids that there is so much more to see than our little town!

Cheers

View this ad at Fiberglass Classifieds - Family needs escape pod!
Flower Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:05 AM   #2

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
https://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/d/b...945944147.html
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I'm not aware of any 16 that can sleep 2 adults and 4 kids, unless you can double up your kids in small bunk beds, and you get a non-deluxe model without bath or toilet, but with a bunk bed
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
RVs are all about the experiences. Savings versus hotels? Not so much if you total up everything: original price, depreciation, gas, maintenance, storage, etc. The good news is molded FG trailers depreciate very slowly. the bad news they are small and pricey compared to other trailers.

The one type of family camping that is definitely cheaper than hotels is a tent. Tents are very affordable, don't take a big tow rig to pull, don't affect fuel economy, no licensing or tag fees (WA State, home of high tag fees), etc. I tent camped for years. It was very cost effective.

Room for six? Not in the 14 to 16 foot range of molded trailers.

Hybrid trailers, not my thing for sure, but they have a lot of sleeping room for the size.

Just noticed your budget, not happening, at least in the molded FG market. I was on a tight budget for years, and made just as many memories camping with a tent as I have with an RV.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
WA State: IF your molded fiberglass trailer is under 2,000 lbs (certified), you can buy a permanent license tab for it. About $200. Peanut squeaked by at 1997 lbs. "dry."

Our Dodge Grand Caravan had a fascinating option: a tent that attached to the back of the van with the tail door up. It came in several sizes including a 3-room one...very spacious for a tent! One room didn't include a floor, so it was good for dining and pets. Of course, it was tenting, and we've been there, done that. Paul said he never wanted to tent-camp again now that he's retired.

Peanut is a 16' Amerigo (more square and hence, a bit more roomy inside than more rounded eggs) but even with all the original beds intact and only one parent, I can't quite see how five people would ever have fit. Especially since kids grow. Unless you're all very thin and love playing "sardines." With two parents--even more crushed.

I agree with Thrifty Bill, consider a tent. There are so many styles now, and some are easy to set up and take down (once you master the tricks). You could even get a couple of tents and have a little tent village. Be aware campgrounds may have limits on how many tents you can put up on one site.

Boondocking, though, I think you can set up whatever you like. Ask at a local library if they can get you a copy of Free and Cheap Parks, camp sites, military areas, etc. Once you start looking, there are lots of options. National Parks in WA are cheaper but have few facilities and seldom power. Some wonderful places, though.

It's great you want to give your kids this experience! Happy hunting for your set-up, and happy trails when you've found it.

BEST

"K"
Old 08-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I agree with Thrifty Bill in that tent camping is much cheaper and easier to get into. It is also a lot of fun for kids and will probably fit into your van and allow you to use the roof of the van for toys and still carry a bike rack or small trailer behind. I am assuming that you are planning mainly 3-season camping? Winter camping is more difficult and better for the seasoned camper. I suggest buying your equipment from a proper camping supply store, not Wally's . My Family bought French camping equipment, I believe Cabanon which used light water-proof Egyptian cotton and had a double tent for rainy days inside. We camped for many years on islands in the St. Lawrence and later on islands on lake Champlain in VT. lots of fond memories for me. Remember you are trying to make fond memories with the kids and kids like adventure, especially when done with you, they don't need you to bring a miniature house. Good luck
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
$5000, beds for 5 or 6, and towable by a minivan- with everyone on board- to me means a smaller (8’ box) tent trailer. Two on each end and one or two on the dinette. Your budget should get you a clean used unit 4-8 years old. I’ve seen a few recently on Craigslist in my area. I grew up traveling all over North America with six of us and a tent trailer. Great memories!

If you're really set on a hard-sided unit, with your budget and tow rating you’re realistically looking at 13’ molded trailers that sleep up to 4, maybe 5 if they're little. In that price range it’ll be older and may have some issues.

A Scamp 16' layout 7 (rear and side dinettes, front bunks, no bath) is a family-friendly layout but very rare, and you'll have to stretch your budget significantly. I'd expect $8-10K for a decent used one. It sleeps 5, maybe 6 if they're small. It will also stretch the towing capacity of most minivans with your whole crew on board (tow ratings are based on one or two people and no gear). Which begs the question...

What is your van rated to tow?

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #8

Mid Left Coast
another option, depending on how sturdy your minivan is, and how small these kids are, would be a Tepui style rooftop tent for the kids to sleep in, and a 16' or 17' trailer w/ shower and toilet and kitchen and queen bed for the parental units. There's no way the 6 of you could sit at the inside dinette, so you'd be bringing along a folding table and chairs to eat outside most of the time.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #9

Washington
My mom owns a 16’ Casita that fits us fine. I have 2 little kids and 2 big kids. We will be fall and winter road tripping and so I Idon’t want to set up tents. I do love tent camping but need the comfort.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #10

Washington
Thank you for so much insight.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #11

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower Mommy View Post
My mom owns a 16’ Casita that fits us fine. I have 2 little kids and 2 big kids. We will be fall and winter road tripping and so I Idon’t want to set up tents. I do love tent camping but need the comfort.
how do the 5/6 of you sleep in a Casita 16? heck, my wife and I barely fit, admittedly we're 60-something and plus sized.

the dinette in a Casita 16 'spirit deluxe' is barely 24" wide, albeit 6' long when made as a bed.

does this Casita have bunks rather than a bath?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
$5,000 Casita 16 is going to be very hard to find and likely need a lot of work. Maybe you can buy your mom's?

I haven't seen any $5,000 Casita 16s, typically that's the price range of the older Scamp 13s. You will have to have a standard version on the Casita to allow for a front bunk.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #13

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
$5,000 Casita 16 is going to be very hard to find and likely need a lot of work. Maybe you can buy your mom's?
Oh, I’ve begged!! Mom isn’t budging. I don’t mind having a project. I have a handy man. I see them in these posts for $5000 but on the east coast.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #14

Washington
Yes, bunks ... they did add a toilet because it didn’t have one.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #15

Mid Left Coast
its not just handiwork, its all the appliances will likely be shot at that price point, and those cost money to replace or repair. Replacing a water damaged floor on a casita is a major job, a rusted frame, ditto. axles, brakes, lighting all could be shot.

a well maintained 16 deluxe with everything working, fresh tires, brakes, battery, etc consumables is likely to be north of $10K even with tired cosmetics, and a clean shiny well working one could easily be $13k
Old 08-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #16

Washington
John,
Stop!! Your crushing my dreams
Well, maybe it’s not in my future until I raise more money...
I have until fall!
Old 08-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #17

Name: Jan
Trailer: 21' Escape
California
Well, someone is selling a Trails West Campster for $500 on the forum ...
Old 08-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JansDream View Post
? I can’t find it ����
Old 08-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #19

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JansDream View Post
I see one for $5000, 1970, fully restored, but it only has a queen bed & a few shelves... no water, no electrics, no propane, so its not much more than a rolling bedroom for 2.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #20

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
John is on the mark with advice, being real means having to spend more like 10,000 or there a bouts. In terms of kids you don't say what ages they are will some sleep in a tent ? Any decent unit will cost. Maybe you should be looking at stick built trailers.

Fiberglass units tend to cost more and have a following people know what they have.

Even a project costs money do you have any ? or are you fishing. My 1991 Bigfoot cost me 8500.00 some 8 years ago in great condition I've never looked back. Its nice you want fiberglass but they do cost money.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote