Wanted: Looking for icebox for 13 foot scamp - Washington - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2022, 08:12 AM   #1

Name: Josh
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Looking for icebox for 13 foot scamp - Washington

The frame around the icebox non electric broke over the weekend. Apparently scamp no longer sells iceboxes. If anyone has one in decent shape that they're willing to part with let me know. I live in washinton state and willing to pay for shipping. Thanks, Josh

View this ad at Fiberglass Classifieds - Looking for icebox for 13 foot scamp - Washington
blix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Our Scamp has an icebox, but I've found it pretty useless for cold storage. It's too small, and ice melts too fast. We use it for dry storage and bought a cooler for cold storage.

If you've used yours and it works for you, that's fine, and I suspect you'll find a used take-out sooner or later.

As an alternative, consider a chest-type cooler on a slide-out tray. It may take some searching to find one to fit that space efficiently. Our Coleman requires ice every 4-5 days (versus 2-3 for the factory icebox). The newer rotomolded coolers (Yeti and similar) perform even better at some sacrifice of weight and storage capacity.

Eventually I'd like to swap our icebox for a 12V compressor fridge, and at that point it will be available, but not yet.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Ice box ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Our Scamp has an icebox, but I've found it pretty useless for cold storage. It's too small, and ice melts too fast. We use it for dry storage and bought a cooler for cold storage.

If you've used yours and it works for you, that's fine, and I suspect you'll find a used take-out sooner or later.

As an alternative, consider a chest-type cooler on a slide-out tray. It may take some searching to find one to fit that space efficiently. Our Coleman requires ice every 4-5 days (versus 2-3 for the factory icebox). The newer rotomolded coolers (Yeti and similar) perform even better at some sacrifice of weight and storage capacity.

Eventually I'd like to swap our icebox for a 12V compressor fridge, and at that point it will be available, but not yet.
-----------------------

I certainly agree that a good ice chest is way more efficient. You can pack more insulation around the icebox but it will never be as good. And if you have an ice chest you can carry it with you in your tow vehicle as you leave your trailer at your site to go exploring. Block ice is more efficient but I still never get the 5 day as advertised on some. Also, some people make little slip-on 'covers' for their ice chests, made out of the silver foil insulation ,, especially if the chest is stored outside, hopefully in the shade. But think about it : if it is 80 or 90 degrees outside, a Scamp can be MUCH hotter inside if it sits in the sun. It is a wonder the icebox works at all ! And in hot weather , I often put a large wet towel over the ice chest in my camper shell. Seems to help a bit. David iFresno & Sonora,CA
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:40 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
But think about it : if it is 80 or 90 degrees outside, a Scamp can be MUCH hotter inside if it sits in the sun.
I've found the Scamp does not heat up as much as you'd think in hot weather. We often travel across the desert in the summer to get to the beaches of SoCal, and even when it's over 110 degrees ambient, it does not get that hot inside the trailer. When we overheated the transmission in our first tow vehicle and had to wait (without A/C) for 30 minutes on an interstate pull-out for it to cool down, we took refuge in the trailer. With a bit of ventilation, it was tolerable.

Because of that, we usually carry our ice chest in the trailer. The tow vehicle is air conditioned when we're moving, but when we stop it heats up really fast. The trailer is more stable, temperature-wise.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote