Wanted: Millie in Alabama - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #1

Name: Millie
Trailer: Currently shopping
Alabama
Millie in Alabama

I m looking for my a light weight fiberglass trailer to tow with my suv. I like escape big foot prefer dry bath. Thank you

View this ad at Fiberglass Classifieds - Millie in Alabama
Millie in Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Millie in Alabama

The smallest molded fiberglass trailer with a dry bath is the 21’ BIgfoot. It’s neither small nor lightweight, and typically requires a full-size traditional SUV or pickup to tow.

What sort of SUV are we talking about and what’s it rated to tow? SUV covers a lot of ground.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #3

Alabama
It’s a small Mercedes 359 glk I think it can tow 3500-4000 but need to check.
Thank you
Old 03-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Don't think you have enough tow vehicle for the larger Bigfoot. Almost all molded FG trailers have wet baths. Most are narrower than traditional trailers, and shorter in length too. So space is at a big premium. Bigfoot is somewhat unique, wider than the competition, and heavier too.

Molded FG trailers are a compromise for sure. More durable than other RVs, hold their value well, and more expensive too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:15 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Millie in Alabama

A 3500# tow rating is really only good for a 16’er or smaller. 5000# gets you into the 17-19’ class. Over 20’ you’re generally looking at a truck or full-size SUV. Those are rough generalizations, of course; some brands are lighter than others of the same size. Bigfoots, due to their all-season construction, are heavier than most.

See the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World for data on what different makes and models really weigh with options and gear. Post #297 links to a handy spreadsheet. Pay attention to tongue weights as well as total trailer weights. Your vehicle has limits for both, which you can verify in your owner’s manual.

Speaking of which... definitely read the towing section of your owner’s manual carefully before you go any further. It’s no fun to fall in love with a trailer you can’t tow or worse, buy a trailer and find you have to purchase a new tow vehicle, too.

In your size and weight range you’re definitely looking at a wet bath. Takes a large chamois and a little adjustment, but most people find it’s an acceptable compromise to preserve more space in a small trailer for other things. And it stays cleaner!

Best wishes in your trailer search!
Old 03-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #6

Alabama
Thank you so much for this help. I may have to get a truck or larger suv. So excited at the idea. All new to me.
Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #7

Alabama
Thank you. I’ve go lots to learn! But excited to get rolling.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Millie in Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie in Alabama View Post
Thank you so much for this help. I may have to get a truck or larger suv. So excited at the idea. All new to me.
Thanks again.
If that’s a possibility, then you have lots of choices. I’d recommend deciding first what trailer best suits your needs and then choose an appropriate vehicle. That a good place to be.

You might consider looking for a nearby fiberglass trailer rally to visit this spring. There you can see many trailers of different makes and sizes and talk to owners. Some even have scheduled open house times. Event hosts can advise you about making a day visit or perhaps camping with the group in a tent or car.

See the rally section of the forum for information. There should be a link to a map of all scheduled events this year.

And of course follow up on any classified ads that appear promising!
Old 03-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #9

Name: Lise
Trailer: 1972 Cloud
Arizona
Hi there. I have a beautiful 13 footer. It's a 1972 CLOUD. 1,700 lbs. dry weight. It is listed in the classified Trailer for sale section. It is in Prescott, AZ.
Wilma1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #10

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I've got several Fiberglas Campers, some renovated, some in progress of renovation and some that are waiting to be renovated. I see your in Orange Beach, I'm located in Ardmore on the Alabama/Tennessee stateline. If your interested I can email you some pictures if you send me your email address. This site has got to where it's just about impossible to post pictures since they changed it so I don't visit this site much anymore. Here's a link on one I have for sale now it has.. Brand New Frame, Brand New Axle w/elect. brakes, All windows have been removed new wood installed new butal taped and sealed. All windows have had new rubber seals and gaskets, New Flooring, and New Tires and Rims...

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ion-76216.html
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #11

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Kentucky
Our Lil' Snoozy is the perfect weight for you. It is a wet bath, however. Take a look in the classified section under eatondeb (user) listed in Bowling Green, KY and let us know what you think. We are moving to Orange Beach in two weeks and don't have anywhere to store it. Thanks.
eatondeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Randy does awesome work!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
Are you still in the market for a trailer? I just posted my 2003 Casita 17SD.
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #14

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Millie, I see you’re getting lots of offers from folks who have wet bath units. Stick with what you want and don’t settle especially if you have the option to upgrade your tow vehicle. I’m partial to Bigfoot because of the space and build quality. Make sure you check out both floor plans (front vs. rear bed).

Happy looking
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:58 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Tow vehicle can be a balancing act if you drive it for generally daily use. Gas mileage hit, insurance, and initial cost of the larger vehicle for the limited use it will see towing can be a limiting factor. There are a few vehicles with 3500# tow rating that you might find hit the sweet spot.

Pay attention to hitch weight. The percentage of weight on the hitch needs to be around 8 to 10 percent of trailer weight. A few vehicles are rated to tow more weight than they can take 10% of on the hitch. E.G a tow rating of 2500 pounds that can only take 200 pounds hitch weight can only safely tow 2000 pounds. Trailer with too little weight forward is unstable.

Also hitch weight counts against gross vehicle weight capacity. 250 pounds on the hitch comes out of the amount of passenger or inside the vehicle luggage weight your manual says the vehicle can handle. Can matter more to folks who may have bikes or gear in a roof rack. Larger families. Really large dogs. Etc. Some of the larger interior capacity vehicles are not really higher weight vehicles. Some mini vans I looked at were in that category.

Height also matters. One can usually get a hitch configured to handle a lot of height difference between trailer and tow vehicle but not having to have a drop hitch or riser hitch of 4 or 5 inches needed to keep trailer level can make things easier.

Wet or dry bath the important part comes down to is it enough room to do what you need to do. Stand in the darn thing see if you have room to shower or use the toilet. Once saw a dry bath with an itty bitty tub. So cute, and both my size 13.5 EEE feet would fit in it... almost, if positioned just right. Square stall or wet baths I have know were a better fit.

It is good advice to get what you need in a camper, then balance that with a good match in a tow vehicle. No point in hauling around a camper you don't like. And if you really wanted X feature and didn't get it you will notice it a lot. Smart folks don't let it bother them but you will notice and miss feature X.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote