Wanted: Scamp 16 Layout 4. Sleeps 4 with bath. Eastern US/CAD. Yr2000 - Ontario - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2022, 06:59 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ontario
Scamp 16 Layout 4. Sleeps 4 with bath. Eastern US/CAD. Yr2000 - Ontario

Wanted Scamp 16 Layout 4. sleeping 4 with bathroom. Year 2000. Wanted for young family of 6. Dual resident currently in Ontario Canada, willing to drive down east coast for pickup.

View this ad at Fiberglass Classifieds - Scamp 16 Layout 4. Sleeps 4 with bath. Eastern US/CAD. Yr200...
Tony in a Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Family of six? Will your tow vehicle accommodate overflow sleeping? Will it still pull the trailer (and especially the hitch weight) with the extra passengers? Tow ratings assume two people and no cargo, and drop quickly as you add passengers and gear.

You can get away with some things while they’re small, but they have a way of growing. Fast.

Just some cautions from my own experiences shoehorning a family of four into a 13’er… You’ll figure it out. My only regret is not starting sooner.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:50 AM   #3

Ontario
Yes, I’d prefer a scamp 16 for its lighter weight(2500lbsish?). And would sleep two in the minivan as overflow. I have a 21 Sienna 3500lb towing capacity and 350lb tongue weight and I plan for a WDH to bring that up to 500lbs. Max payload is 1500lbs.

So 1000lbs for people and gear. People weigh 600lbs, and 400lbs left for gear reducing as the kids grow may have to shed 200lbs to keep under 8900 GCWR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Family of six? Will your tow vehicle accommodate overflow sleeping? Will it still pull the trailer (and especially the hitch weight) with the extra passengers? Tow ratings assume two people and no cargo, and drop quickly as you add passengers and gear.

You can get away with some things while they’re small, but they have a way of growing. Fast.

Just some cautions from my own experiences shoehorning a family of four into a 13’er… You’ll figure it out. My only regret is not starting sooner.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:38 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
In my opinion, with your vehicle and family, a 17’ Casita should not be on the table. I believe yours is the new Sienna with the 2.5L hybrid powertrain. I would not want to abuse a nice vehicle like that. A 16’ Scamp will be a stretch.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #5

Ontario
Agreed. Deleted casita from the mix and added note for minimal accessories.

I’m also renting some 13’ and 16’ scamps soon to test out what works for us.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
I wouldn’t worry overly about the accessories. In the current market you’ll have to take what’s available. Most accessories aren’t hard to remove if desired. For example, a standard roof vent fits in the same opening as the roof A/C. But you may find many of them are pretty nice to have. 2500# is doable. I’d go with a single LP tank to reduce weight on your hitch, but that’s not hard to convert.

Renting is a great idea. Have you located a place that rents them? There aren’t many that I know of, and others might be interested.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:02 PM   #7

Name: Cat
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Here is a 16' Scamp Layout 4, 2019

Hello. I have a 16' Scamp for sale, layout 4. I'm in Virginia. Are you still looking?
catdancing0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:00 PM   #8

Ontario
Bump. Still looking for a scamp 16’ layout 4 or 7.