Wanted: Wanted: 13 foot camper such as Scamp, UHaul ct13, Armadillo... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > NEW Fiberglass RV Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Trade
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #1

Name: Sue
Trailer: In the market
Connecticut
Wanted: 13 foot camper such as Scamp, UHaul ct13, Armadillo...

Hi I'm searching for a used small camper similar to Scamp or Boler, 13 feet max length, interior height of at least 5 feet and preferably weighing less than 1,500 pounds. I don't need a bathroom, shower or even much of a kitchen as long as it can sleep 2. The camper needs to be in good condition. I'm in Connecticut and willing to travel throughout New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware. Thank you!

View this ad at Fiberglass Classifieds - Wanted: 13 foot camper such as Scamp, UHaul ct13, Armadillo...
SueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:53 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We had a Uhaul, lot to learn about them before you buy. We just did a vintage rally in Vermont, friends there said they were going to sell their Shasta but not sure if it was going to be right away. They are in central Mass I think. But there's two different trailers, one fiberglass, the other vintage stick built (wood framed). Weight of camper and what your tow vehicle is may determine what you can get. How much repair work you can do is another factor.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #3

Connecticut
Thank you for your post. Did you have problems with the UHaul CT13?
Old 09-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Uhauls had a lot of issues, some unique to them. With any old camper it depends if previous owners have made repairs and upgrades, ignored problems, or worse case have butchered them up. Uhauls have many parts unique to them and no longer available. Over the several years that we had ours we spent a lot of time on repairs and had it in good shape when we sold it. There is some good info in the document center here and there is a good Facebook group that has a lot of good info in their files section, including a list of common problems.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Click on the manufacturers tab on the upper right of your screen then choose the manufacturer of your choice. Each brand has strengths and weaknesses. Your careful inspection will be key to your happiness.

I looked at a couple of Trilliums that were really bad. Took all of two minutes to spot major issues. Sellers had no problem selling to someone else…
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:06 AM   #6

Connecticut
That's good advice, thank you! I read somewhere that it's an option to hire an expert or someone knowledgeable in RVs who's local to the RV to check it out first.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:59 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Do not consider all of the 13 footers to be interchangeable. They are not. Each had its unique design “flaws” if you will. Layout is very similar.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Do you have a budget range, because the models you have listed cover a lot of ground?

I’m a fan of Scamps, and they’re the most common. It will take some doing to keep one under 1500#, though. Keep it simple and pack light, maybe. Sometime around 2000 they changed to a more robust frame, a tad heavier, but worth it. Starting 2007, they gained about 3” of interior headroom, again a little heavier, but nice if you’re tall. Avoid 2018-2020 with the black door hinges.

With any Scamp, check the wood subfloor very carefully for any sign of water damage. The other big Scamp vulnerability is failure of the wood inside the door. A big gap at the bottom of the door is a tell-tale sign.

Regardless of brand you’ll want electric trailer brakes. Most smaller tow-rated vehicles require them, but many 13’ers do not have them. Adding brakes sometimes requires a whole new axle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #9

Connecticut
Thank you! I noticed with a couple of manufacturers (Casita for one) that the older 13 foot models weigh 200-300 pounds less than the more recent years. I also noticed that some companies that used to make standy teardrops (the curved body not the boxy bodies) discontinued the models after a few years. Maybe less profitable or more design problems?

Pricewise, I'd like to stay under 10K but willing to spend more if the camper is in good shape and ready to camp in. Sigh.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scratch Armadillo. They sell for around $30K new, and they’ve only been around a few years.

With your budget and with Scamp, I’m thinking early-to-mid-2000’s would be about right, maybe late-2000’s if you’re lucky and willing to travel. I think that gets you the stronger frame. Not sure, but I think the new frame has a 2” coupler, while the older frame had 1-7/8”.

Pretty much all small vintage egg trailers are subject to frame failures. Once you get beyond a couple of decades (depending on climate) it becomes something else to check carefully. In fact, beyond two decades, prices have far less to do with age and more to do with condition. Beware of cosmetic rehabs that overlook the floor and frame.

Hear your sigh! They say inflation isn’t that bad overall, but it’s definitely uneven, and small molded fiberglass trailers have been hard hit.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:32 AM   #11

Name: Larry
Trailer: trillium4500
New York
Registry
have a 13 foot trillium going up for sale just restored 1200 lbs
lables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Hello-
I’m in Wisconsin-but I’d like a reason to travel out east. I’m building a ‘72 Scamp 13’ right now and will build to your liking if that interests you. Your price point is close to where I was aiming for-but if you have a set design in mind-this could work out. Feel free to message me if you are interested.
-John
jparello is offline   Reply With Quote