Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Modifications, Alterations and Updates (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   New ParkLiner battery box (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/new-parkliner-battery-box-62003.html)

deryk 11-04-2013 04:49 PM

New ParkLiner battery box

On the ParkLiner Facebook page is pics of the new battery box on the tongue...I'm on my droid so can't upload them.

If all goes according toplan 11/23 I will have mine installed!

frank_a 11-04-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 429649)
On the ParkLiner Facebook page is pics of the new battery box on the tongue...I'm on my droid so can't upload them.

Thanks Deryk, boy, what a nice looking set-up!

Just go to their web page (ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers -) and scroll down on the right side to click on their facebook page.

Frank

deryk 11-04-2013 05:58 PM

Looks much better then the pictures from a ParkLiner that was for sale here a few months back that the batteries were exposed.

Ken C 11-04-2013 06:01 PM

Agreed looks real nice, tire well update shown too. Thanks for the heads-up.

Tim Wood 11-04-2013 07:16 PM

That's a nice looking box, and I should have one in Feb.

Carol H 11-04-2013 08:13 PM

It does look better but two questions - do you really want all those screws right into the frame? Doesnt look real simple task to take off the battery cover - normally just a simple clip to get off...

Jim Bennett 11-04-2013 08:49 PM

Nice looking solution. Much better than your generic plastic box.

AmcGee 11-05-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol H (Post 429679)
It does look better but two questions - do you really want all those screws right into the frame? Doesnt look real simple task to take off the battery cover - normally just a simple clip to get off...

Clips can break bend rattle loose with for self tapping screws it will not come off unless owner wants it to

frank_a 11-05-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmcGee (Post 429727)
Clips can break bend rattle loose with for self tapping screws it will not come off unless owner wants it to

Personally I think it is a very elegant solution. Kudos to you guys!

Frank

Carol H 11-05-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmcGee (Post 429727)

Thats true but my concern was in regards to the practise of putting screws into an enclosed beam such as a trailer frame which is a major structural component. In my profession I was taught that such practises were to be avoid when possible as any opening into the beam could result in allowing moisture to enter the interior channel and result in the rusting of the beam from the inside out thus reducing its structural integrity. It was also my understanding that by putting holes in a structural frame you may also be impacting the structural integrity of the beam itself. In my industry this type of application the preferred way would have been to weld additional cross members to the underside of the tongue/frame to support the battery holder and the battery holder itself would have been bolted to that cross member. Similar to how a number of other trailer brands have their batteries mounted/secured to the tongue.

Its been 25 years since I took any formal training on that topic though so perhaps that is thought of as old school thinking these days.

My concern as a trailer owner with a battery cover that is more difficult to remove than what is traditionally found on trailers is that it may result in my not being as diligent in doing battery maintenance as I should be. Also would be a bit of a pain to have to deal with if I wished to connected my portable solar panels or trouble shoot a wiring issue with a multimeter.

I agree with the others it looks good and a much safer position for the storage of the batteries than the previously used location.... simple my observation of a possible future issue in regard to the means of attachment that those who may be considering doing this change on their own may want to consider and look into the topic a bit further.

frank_a 11-05-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol H (Post 429760)
Thats true but my concern was in regards to the practise of putting screws into an enclosed beam such as a trailer frame which is a major structural component. In my profession I was taught that such practises were to be avoid when possible as any opening into the beam could result in allowing moisture to enter the interior channel and result in the rusting of the beam from the inside out thus reducing its structural integrity. It was also my understanding that by putting holes in a structural frame you may also be impacting the structural integrity of the beam itself. In my industry this type of application the preferred way would have been to weld additional cross members to the underside of the tongue/frame to support the battery holder and the battery holder itself would have been bolted to that cross member. Similar to how a number of other trailer brands have their batteries mounted/secured to the tongue.

Its been 25 years since I took any formal training on that topic though so perhaps that is thought of as old school thinking these days.

My concern as a trailer owner with a battery cover that is more difficult to remove than what is traditionally found on trailers is that it may result in my not being as diligent in doing battery maintenance as I should be. Also would be a bit of a pain to have to deal with if I wished to connected my portable solar panels or trouble shoot a wiring issue with a multimeter.

I agree with the others it looks good and a much safer position for the storage of the batteries than the previously used location.... simple my observation of a possible future issue in regard to the means of attachment that those who may be considering doing this change on their own may want to consider and look into the topic a bit further.

It is not an enclosed beam Carol. It is wide open where the ends meet under the triangular tongue. It is my belief is is better to be open than closed, but of course, that is just my opinion based on decades of welding.

Frank

Carol H 11-05-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_a (Post 429772)
It is not an enclosed beam Carol. It is wide open where the ends meet under the triangular tongue. It is my belief is is better to be open than closed, but of course, that is just my opinion based on decades of welding.

Frank

If as you say the beam is open at one of the ends then thats great but only if the trailer is stowed or hitched up noise up to permit the moisture to drain out of the beam as it appears to me to be closed on the tongue end.

Frank my comments were as stated just my personal concern based on my person experience that I felt some may find it worth while to explore further. Obviously your life experiences and views may differ :rolleyes:

frank_a 11-05-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol H (Post 429779)
If as you say the beam is open at one of the ends then thats great but only if the trailer is stowed or hitched up noise up to permit the moisture to drain out of the beam as it appears to me to be closed on the tongue end.

Frank my comments were as stated just my personal concern based on my person experience that I felt some may find it worth while to explore further. Obviously your life experiences and views may differ :rolleyes:

Carol, at the back, the chassis tubing is welded to the rear bumper which is open on both ends. Now that we have this straightened out, let's have some fun! :D

Frank

cpaharley2008 11-05-2013 10:38 AM

It appears that it will just drop in the frame behind the propane and the battery weight should keep it there. The top may need another attachment method, but the bottom can just drop in without any screws.

carlkeigley 11-05-2013 10:40 AM

I really like the battery box. Nice looking.
And it looks like many won't even know it's
a battery box. Incognito?........LOL

frank_a 11-05-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlkeigley (Post 429783)
I really like the battery box. Nice looking.
And it looks like many won't even know it's
a battery box. Incognito?........LOL

I sure like it. It's a real elegant design solution to a problem. ParkLiners are exceptionally well designed in general! Of course, I'm biased...

Frank

Carol H 11-05-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (Post 429782)
It appears that it will just drop in the frame behind the propane and the battery weight should keep it there. The top may need another attachment method, but the bottom can just drop in without any screws.

Yup which is how many other trailer manufactures mount them when using a custom cover and no bottom on the box itself.

We are all here to learn and share our experiences. I like most others here are not wishing bad will on PL. Simple as others have stated time and time again hopeful that they will resolve their current issues and make a success of themselves.

In the industry I worked in where beams of this type were used as structural members it was considered best practises to avoid screwing anything more than necessary into them, to avoid degrading structural integrity, for more than one reason. Your experience may well be different. That's fine, we are all here to share and learn from one another. Due to the divergent opinions on this topic, it seems to me that again like all things read on the internet if anyone is considering such a modification they may wish to look further into, before committing themselves to it. Especially items that may impact personal safety.

Jared J 11-05-2013 06:24 PM

I wouldn't think twice about it. That's how our floors are held on. That size hole in that size steel is basically insignificant. Since it's on top, it's also in compression, so almost no chance of it breaking at the hole. The HAZ from welding a bracket on coulda be even worse, I don't have the fancy computer programs to play with it.

As an unrelated side note, that's why greasable u-joints have a right and wrong way of installing them, although almost nobody knows that.

frank_a 11-05-2013 06:31 PM

All I can say here is it was not my intention to get anyone angry with me. I prefer open tubing to closed tubing so it will breath. Personally I like chassis built out of channel, like my F-150. Holes are much less of a concern there, and so far, that chassis has been going 12 years, and I intend to keep it going at least 12 more. I love that truck!

All my best to all of you!

Frank

Birmingham1 11-05-2013 08:17 PM

I like the looks of the new battery box, but it seems to me they really didn't fix the core issue. The real issue is that there is something about the combination of the Optima batteries and the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 that can cause the batteries to overheat and vent. I am also not sure I like the idea that if the batteries do cook they would now do so next to the propane tanks. I have seen pictures of batteries that have exploded in enclosed RV compartments and they have blown off the door of the compartment (there is a youtube video in which a guy shows the aftermath and at first he thought vandals had pried off the door to steal the battery.) Of course, I don't like the idea of them exploding under my head either (or my feet)!

Maybe this is only an issue for anyone who has let their batteries full discharge, but I don't feel confident that has been fully proven either.

deryk 11-05-2013 09:06 PM

Aaron mentioned about them not using optimum anymore... mine are less then 2 years old and seem to drain down too quickly

Ice-breaker 11-05-2013 09:56 PM

Looks like a well thought out and visually pleasing solution. Good job PL.

BL Chiffons 11-05-2013 11:30 PM

Parkliner battery box

Again I am left scratching my head. Not being skilled, schooled nor trained in any of the areas of steel integrity, welding, battery venting I am left pondering what I feel to be valid points. So how'bout Those Eagles? ok sorry just my feeble attempt to bring some levity to the hot topic:-)
Our previous stick build camper had battery on tongue in basic black box that we had fastened with heavy rubber bungee straps. Totally had no idea that batteries can overheat and could explode. So much to think about and consider especially since we put a deposit down on a PL in Sept when we went down to meet with Cameron. Battery box aside... Really am pleased to see the new tire clearance that the new mould provides. Encouraging to see that PL really seems to be hearing the concerns and trying to correct problems or at least provide solutions. Again thank you everyone for sharing what you share. Betty Lou and Bev-2 sisters in del.

frank_a 11-06-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 429871)
Aaron mentioned about them not using optimum anymore... mine are less then 2 years old and seem to drain down too quickly

He did mention that Deryk, but did not respond to my question about what they switched to. I wonder if they will switch out my blue top Optimas when I visit in May? I also wonder if they'll enlarge my wheel openings like that pic they have on their web site where some dude can get 3 fingers in front of the tire. Gee! I emailed Cameron about that, but have not heard back.

Will have pics soon of my new battery maintainer set up, and a progression of pics on my 30 amp RV/marine inlet project.

Frank

frank_a 11-06-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BL Chiffons (Post 429894)
Again I am left scratching my head. Not being skilled, schooled nor trained in any of the areas of steel integrity, welding, battery venting I am left pondering what I feel to be valid points. So how'bout Those Eagles? ok sorry just my feeble attempt to bring some levity to the hot topic:-)
Our previous stick build camper had battery on tongue in basic black box that we had fastened with heavy rubber bungee straps. Totally had no idea that batteries can overheat and could explode. So much to think about and consider especially since we put a deposit down on a PL in Sept when we went down to meet with Cameron. Battery box aside... Really am pleased to see the new tire clearance that the new mould provides. Encouraging to see that PL really seems to be hearing the concerns and trying to correct problems or at least provide solutions. Again thank you everyone for sharing what you share. Betty Lou and Bev-2 sisters in del.

Eagles are somewhat erratic Betty Lou, but doing good right now!

Hey, our Sunline must have been a cousin to yours! We had a black battery box behind the propane tanks that had a relatively loose bungee cord one would wrap around and hook it to keep it on. I was always amazed we didn't lose the bungee cord and the top to the battery case!

Your new ParkLiner will NOT have Optima batteries Betty Lou, so no worries for you. You will also have great tire clearance. I'm envious already!

Frank

deryk 11-06-2013 08:54 AM

Somehow Frank, Im doubting they are going to modify our wheel well's...Im guessing that would be more then a 1 day job with epoxy curing and re-gel coating. Yeah I wish...cause lets face it in a short few years when our axle starts to sag a bit we are going to have the same problem that Brian and Thom and others are experiencing now.

frank_a 11-06-2013 08:57 AM

I wouldn't mind getting it fixed if they were willing Deryk. We'd stay someplace else while they did it. I was amazed at that pic on ParkLiner's Facebook page with the dude's 3 fingers of space between the tire and wheel well!

Frank

jwcolby54 11-06-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birmingham1 (Post 429865)
I like the looks of the new battery box, but it seems to me they really didn't fix the core issue. The real issue is that there is something about the combination of the Optima batteries and the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 that can cause the batteries to overheat and vent. I am also not sure I like the idea that if the batteries do cook they would now do so next to the propane tanks. I have seen pictures of batteries that have exploded in enclosed RV compartments and they have blown off the door of the compartment (there is a youtube video in which a guy shows the aftermath and at first he thought vandals had pried off the door to steal the battery.) Of course, I don't like the idea of them exploding under my head either (or my feet)!

Maybe this is only an issue for anyone who has let their batteries full discharge, but I don't feel confident that has been fully proven either.

At the risk of being told I am "beating a dead horse", even with the "smart dongle" the PD is not a smart charger, and without the smart dongle it is a really dumb charger. Not that others aren't as well, it just happens that the PD is the charger used here. You can't "fix" that issue with a battery box.

IIWM, I would disconnect the PD charge circuit entirely and get an aftermarket smart charger. In fact that is exactly what I have done, so I have already put my money where my mouth is.

When you consider how many thousands we have spent on our TTs, the cost of a smart charger is "in the mud" as we said when analyzing circuit noise.

deryk 11-06-2013 09:49 AM

John, how did you wire it in? I would consider adding one once I get my new batteries and battery box.

thanks

deryk

frank_a 11-06-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 429926)
John, how did you wire it in? I would consider adding one once I get my new batteries and battery box.

thanks

deryk

What "smart charger" are you guys talking about?!?

Frank

jwcolby54 11-06-2013 10:06 AM

It requires plugging into AC and I haven't "neatened up" my install yet. I had a stainless steel battery box hand built for my Scamp. NO electronics should be in the battery box simply because of the risk of hydrogen gas and explosion.

I simply placed the charger at the front wall under the bunk where the 7 pin cable comes through the wall and into a bundle of connections. I found the wires coming from the PD charger into this bundle and disconnected them. That left me with the wires going through the wall to the batteries, which I just tied into. I had a temperature sensor I also had to deal with so I fed that through the wall and into the battery box as well.

jwcolby54 11-06-2013 10:52 AM

Frank,
I have been accused of being a "disgruntled PD employee" and similar. I am not. I have discussed what things a charger should do in previous threads and don't want to start all that up all over again. I have no ax to grind, and no company to promote. Third party Smart chargers are common. The following site is one that sells them, but so does Amazon and others.

12 Volt Smart Battery Chargers | 12v Powersports Chargers
You should look for:

1) Multiple phases of charging
2) 14.8 V charge voltage for the bulk charge
3) if you are dealing with an AGM or gell battery make sure the charger allows you to specify the battery type
4) Remote voltage sense
5) Remote temperature sense
6) charge phase switching based on voltage and current curves, NOT a simple "timed" charger.

I will not recommend any specific charger. I will recommend checking the list above against any charger being considered and trying to get as many of those properties as you can in a budget you are willing to pay.
Trickle chargers are not sufficient for your main charger. The battery needs to be charged fairly quickly, and the charger should handle the bulk of your DC needs when plugged in as well as provide additional capacity for charging the battery. IOW if you are plugged in somewhere, and your battery has been discharged by dry camping, you do not want the charger struggling to just keep up with your usage at the RV park, you want to have enough to handle those needs as well as some left over to recharge the battery.

If they cannot be programmed to charge an AGM (sealed) battery and that's what you own, then they will cook your battery because they are trying to charge a "wet cell" which can be charged faster. The charger really does need to sense the voltage AND the current that is applied AT THE BATTERY in order to correctly (SMART) charge the battery. If it isn't doing that then it isn't smart charging, it is just hoping for the best.

We have seen the results of that strategy.

jwcolby54 11-06-2013 11:56 AM

BTW I should have added that AGM batteries need to charge at 14.4 volts, NOT 14.8V. 14.8 is for wet cell and the AGMs will charge too fast at 14.8V. Which reinforces why the charger needs to be able to differentiate between the two, usually by being told with a switch.

Jim Bennett 11-06-2013 02:31 PM

Rather than rehash here what has been said many times before on this forum about chargers, could we please keep this thread focused in line with the original post, and it is that on the topic of the new battery box that ParkLiner is now offering.

Any further posts off topic will be deleted, and if it becomes enough of a problem, this thread will unfortunately have to be closed.

carlkeigley 11-06-2013 02:43 PM

Anyone have the dimensions on this new battery box?

deryk 11-06-2013 05:38 PM

In 2.5 weeks when I get mine installed I will add the measurements and photos...I can't wait to get it done!

frank_a 11-06-2013 05:59 PM

Is it okay to ask about chargers here, or is that off topic and will get the thread closed? I know nothing about these Optima batteries, and for the life of me, can't figure out how to search these forums.

This is the charger I got: NAPA 85300A - NAPA AUTO PARTS

I just brought it upstairs to open and look at the instructions. Pics later, probably on my ParkLiner thread.

Thanks!

Frank

deryk 11-06-2013 06:15 PM

I don't know much about them but I'm getting a feeling that the pd4045 unit puts out too much voltage for the optima batteries.. I might be wrong but Thom switched toa charger that seems to be the right one for optimas

jwcolby54 11-06-2013 06:41 PM

I would suggest starting a thread specific to smart chargers and ask your questions there.

Jim Bennett 11-06-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwcolby54 (Post 429991)
I would suggest starting a thread specific to smart chargers and ask your questions there.

Agreed. If people do this it would be fine, but please everyone, use respect for the opinion of others, and do not make it personal. That is all we ask.

carlkeigley 11-06-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 429982)
In 2.5 weeks when I get mine installed I will add the measurements and photos...I can't wait to get it done!

Thanks Deryk. That will be appreciated.

Gretchen 11-11-2013 02:56 PM

Visit to ParkLiner

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 429649)

Dear Deryk, On a different subject. I have a idea perhaps you would pass along to ParkLiner when you are there. Since there are so many people waiting for their camper to be made (me included!) and since they are so busy making campers to have alot of time communicating with customers, if the owner would give us waiting a number, than just periodically post on their FaceBook page what number trailer they are working on. That way you could get a general idea of how much longer we have to wait to get one of those NIFTY campers!!

:D

deryk 11-11-2013 03:59 PM

Yeah Gretchen that would be a great idea!

Gretchen 11-11-2013 04:17 PM

tires

Thanks Deryk. I thought of one more thing. Would you please ask when you are there what size tires they are now using? I asked on FB, but you know how that goes. Thanks.:omy

frank_a 11-11-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 430662)
Thanks Deryk. I thought of one more thing. Would you please ask when you are there what size tires they are now using? I asked on FB, but you know how that goes. Thanks.:omy

For what it's worth Gretchen, I just looked at the tires on 006, our ParkLiner we've owned now 3 weeks and a day; they're ST205/75D14 HI-RUN L0229.

I like the idea of posting new trailer #s on ParkLiner's Facebook page. We know after-the-fact what # our trailers are. I would bet ParkLiner assigns the number internally early on, and that would be easy to do. Plus the rest of us would love following builds on their Facebook page.

Best of luck Gretchen!

Frank

Ken C 11-11-2013 05:26 PM

Gretchen, are you saying that you bought something that cost over ten thousand dollars and they will not answer your basic questions on what your purchase entails? I am asking because I am wondering how a person goes about getting warranty work done when you need it if they will not pick up the phone? Thanks in advance.

Gretchen 11-11-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken C (Post 430682)
Gretchen, are you saying that you bought something that cost over ten thousand dollars and they will not answer your basic questions on what your purchase entails? I am asking because I am wondering how a person goes about getting warranty work done when you need it if they will not pick up the phone? Thanks in advance.

Ken, We went to the factory last month and loved what we saw. Customer service rep was very good. I am commenting on the fact that many people have posted that they are not getting calls returned promptly as orders take a long time to fill. This is a small new company and I saw they are busier trying to fill orders than answer phones. If I lived near there, I would love to be a cust service rep, because I love the product and would be exciting to work with.

If your considering a ParkLiner, go visit for yourself and see what you think. Oh, and also, I have seen as many people posting that when they have had problems with their ParkLiner, the company has been very good to fix them. So, excellent product with needed cust service help, I can live with that. I have also been in a Casita, and the ParkLiner is so much better.

Gretchen 11-11-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_a (Post 430676)
For what it's worth Gretchen, I just looked at the tires on 006, our ParkLiner we've owned now 3 weeks and a day; they're ST205/75D14 HI-RUN L0229.

I like the idea of posting new trailer #s on ParkLiner's Facebook page. We know after-the-fact what # our trailers are. I would bet ParkLiner assigns the number internally early on, and that would be easy to do. Plus the rest of us would love following builds on their Facebook page.

Best of luck Gretchen!

Frank

Thanks Frank for looking at your tires. I had read about tires rubbing so they went to a smaller size tire. Looks like from their post, they have made the space bigger, but I am wondering if they also went back to the original tire size of the ones they are currently making. Sure am looking forward to camping in it!

Have you done any mod's on yours?
:rolleyes:

frank_a 11-12-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 430718)
Thanks Frank for looking at your tires. I had read about tires rubbing so they went to a smaller size tire. Looks like from their post, they have made the space bigger, but I am wondering if they also went back to the original tire size of the ones they are currently making. Sure am looking forward to camping in it!

Have you done any mod's on yours?
:rolleyes:

No problem Gretchen. It was funny you asked about tires, as I had just went out Sunday morning and checked what they were and wrote it down!

From what I understand, they have modified the lower mold the fiberglass comes out of so that the wheel wells are much larger. It was really the best way to deal with it, but of course must have taken some time to do. From what they're saying on their Facebook page, and the pictures they have there, they did a great job!

In regards to warranty, all I can say is that they have been great to me as a 2nd owner. Without going into a lot of detail, they "fixed" my fallen microwave shelf problem, and they've agreed to do a bunch of stuff, including battery upgrade to the tongue and installation of a Bargman switch when we visit the plant in mid-May 2014. I really had no expectation of being treated so well after buying a used ParkLiner.

Right now I've finished one upgrade and am in the middle of the next. I put a valved by-pass hose to my hot water heater to make it easier to winterize the trailer. I think current ParkLiners already have that.

Right now I am putting a 30 amp RV inlet in the side of the trailer. To do that I had to cut the existing 30 amp power cord, leaving enough inside to get to my new 30 amp plug. With the rest, I put a new end on the cut end so now I have a free standing 30 amp cable that will plug and screw onto my new 30 amp RV plug so that nothing is left open for critters to get in. My new plug will be mounted in the door that previously accessed the cable. I hope to finish it up next weekend, as it's too dark to work after I get home, get the mail, and take the puppy for a walk. You can check progress on these things in our thread "Frank & Gail's ParkLiner."

Take care and enjoy your day!

Frank

Carol H 11-12-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 430648)
Dear Deryk, On a different subject. I have a idea perhaps you would pass along to ParkLiner when you are there. Since there are so many people waiting for their camper to be made (me included!) and since they are so busy making campers to have alot of time communicating with customers, if the owner would give us waiting a number, than just periodically post on their FaceBook page what number trailer they are working on. That way you could get a general idea of how much longer we have to wait to get one of those NIFTY campers!!

:D

Ok perhaps they could follow Escapes lead and send the purchaser photos every couple of weeks of their trailer during the building process. That way PL owners could share the photos with all of us here as some of the Escape purchasers do so we all get to follow the build and dream about getting our own new trailers built.

Gretchen 11-12-2013 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply Frank. It sure is good to hear (again) how excellent ParkLiners service is, even after the sale, let alone that you bought a used one. Sure speaks well of them. It really looks like they are making a quality product that they take pride in and want to be enjoyed. I can't wait to get mine!

I saw someone wrap some pipe insulation around their power cord to keep out critters. I use mothballs too as anything with a nose would hate them. I sprinkle them under the camper, not in it. And around my house each winter too.

frank_a 11-12-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 430828)
Thanks for the reply Frank. It sure is good to hear (again) how excellent ParkLiners service is, even after the sale, let alone that you bought a used one. Sure speaks well of them. It really looks like they are making a quality product that they take pride in and want to be enjoyed. I can't wait to get mine!

I saw someone wrap some pipe insulation around their power cord to keep out critters. I use mothballs too as anything with a nose would hate them. I sprinkle them under the camper, not in it. And around my house each winter too.

This upgrade I'm doing could easily be done at manufacturing time. They would not need to buy the hatch the power cord goes through, nor would they need to cut out that big hole. All it takes is a 2-7/8 round hole for the plug body to go through. The body and new end for the cut cord cost me just a bit over $100. Being in the industry, I'm sure they could buy this stuff cheaper. When done, it will be very clean looking. I've did it on our last trailer too.

We use dryer sheets inside in the winter. That has worked well for other trailers we've had. You just need to change them out about once a month. Scented pine cones work too!

I bet you're excited about getting your new ParkLiner, and I don't blame you!

Frank

parklinercameron 11-13-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 430662)

Gretchen,

Cameron at ParkLiner here. We are using 205-75-14 tires. Also, I am waiting for a production order from Chandler to communicate to customers. Great idea!

- Cameron

elli 11-14-2013 09:24 AM

Cameron

Good idea posting information here but to get your message to your intended audience- this seems to be about tire size under a battery "thread" and an additional message to let people know Chandler may indeed be working on some kind of production schedule...which we will believe when we see it... we found your message somewhat randomly looking at battery info. However... if you really want people to get the info you are taking the time to contribute- check out the headings you are posting under or create a new thread in the appropriate area.

Carol H 11-14-2013 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=elli;431110. if you really want people to get the info you are taking the time to contribute- check out the headings you are posting under or create a new thread in the appropriate area.[/QUOTE]

Better still the manufacture should be posting the info on their own web page &/or Facebook page. Potential buyers or current owners of any trailer brand *should not* have to be searching this forum for their trailers specifications or the manufactures fix to current/past issues.

bookbinder52 11-14-2013 11:48 AM

while I agree with replying under the proper heading, it seems rather ludicrous that after the numerous complaints about the lack of communication from PL, folks want to nit pick . I intend to purchase a PL in the near future, that purchase will be driven by seeing a measurable leap in customer service, PL being on this forum (under ANY heading) is nice to see.

deryk 11-14-2013 12:22 PM

ParkLiner makes a great product...Im glad to see they are starting to show a presence here and are making the fixes that need to be done. I cant wait to head down there and see where my caravan was built, and get the new batterybox installed.

I look forward to many years of happy adventures!

frank_a 11-14-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 431154)
ParkLiner makes a great product...Im glad to see they are starting to show a presence here and are making the fixes that need to be done. I cant wait to head down there and see where my caravan was built, and get the new batterybox installed.

I'm in total agreement with you Deryk! We just figured out that we will venture down to be there May 12 next year for the same thing.

Frank

BL Chiffons 11-14-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 431154)

Hi Deryk, so glad to read that PL will be making things right for you. Check for PM... Want to run something by you not particularly related to this thread. I don't want the 'post police people' calling me on the carpet. Thanks! BL Chiffons

BL Chiffons 11-14-2013 10:33 PM

Parkliner Battery Box

Aaron from Parkliner. I too want to welcome you to this forum. So great to have you post and also very encouraging! Like others have shared we really want to see Parkliner do well. Great to see that PL now has a safer place to put the battery. The box looks really nice. We ( my sister and I) met with Cameron back in Sept. We did our options list and made deposit while we were there. Noticed that battery meter is not listed as an option. Would we be able to mail one down and have it installed prior to us picking PL up? It is my understanding that PL is using a different battery since we did our options list. What is the name, number of battery now being used?
Thank you Aaron. Again we want to personally and publicly thank you for your participation in this forum. Betty Lou and Bev (aka 2 sisters)

AmcGee 11-15-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BL Chiffons (Post 431264)
Aaron from Parkliner. I too want to welcome you to this forum. So great to have you post and also very encouraging! Like others have shared we really want to see Parkliner do well. Great to see that PL now has a safer place to put the battery. The box looks really nice. We ( my sister and I) met with Cameron back in Sept. We did our options list and made deposit while we were there. Noticed that battery meter is not listed as an option. Would we be able to mail one down and have it installed prior to us picking PL up? It is my understanding that PL is using a different battery since we did our options list. What is the name, number of battery now being used?
Thank you Aaron. Again we want to personally and publicly thank you for your participation in this forum. Betty Lou and Bev (aka 2 sisters)

We have been using Super Start Marine Deep Cycle batteries PN#24DCM and YES you are more than welcome to send us a batt meter if you would like for us to install it. Aaron

deryk 11-15-2013 09:31 AM

Well, its a 75ah battery, which is nice. Gives an extra 25ah more then the Optima...heh 8 more hours of running the furnace. Works for me. I cant wait till next week!

Hey Aaron, what would I need to add an on/off switch so that I could shut the power off from the battery to cut out the phantom drain?

thanks

cpaharley2008 11-15-2013 09:50 AM

I think a 7/16" wrench will disconnect the battery cable……….

AmcGee 11-15-2013 10:05 AM

You could get a batt kill switch like they use in race cars uses a big red key to turn batt power on and off to keep from having to take the top on and off the batt box

deryk 11-15-2013 11:04 AM

Yeah Aaron, thats more along the lines of what I was thinking. Jim's idea is too much work to unscrew the cover twice every weekend that I use it and or want to check the voltage. I am guessing these new batteries are lead acid?

thanks

AmcGee 11-15-2013 11:33 AM

Yes lead-acid. More user friendly

Jared J 11-16-2013 12:01 AM

I put a 50 amp marine waterproof circuit breaker that's rated for switch duty on mine. You would have to size yours to whatever the wire is.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/attachme...7b054f705b.jpg

deryk 11-16-2013 01:35 AM

Thanks Jared...now I have an idea!

Yeah would be nice to be able to completely shut it off when not being used...I might have a A/B/both/off switch somewhere but Its a waste since I dont use 1 battery for engine starting from one of my boats...

frank_a 11-23-2013 05:56 PM

Let us know how you make out Deryk. I think today was the big day isn't it?

Good luck!

Frank

deryk 11-24-2013 05:17 PM

I just got home from a 1039 mile round trip to ParkLiner!

Aaron and his crew took good care of me and my ParkLiner! I have a bunch of photo's to upload...will probably get them up tomorrow. I had a great time down there, got the full tour of the facilities, stayed in my ParkLiner on friday night on their loading dock, the guys worked on mine for about 9 hours on saturday ... more to come about it all

and very important to me, I brought my bathroom scale along and my tongue weight came in at 285lbs! So Im very happy!

Thanks for everything Aaron (including pointing out dragon vaporz)

Ken C 11-24-2013 05:38 PM

Im sure the Rav4 will thank you for that tongue weight. Glad you had a safe trip and thanks for keeping us updated. :thumb

carlkeigley 11-24-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 432584)
I just got home from a 1039 mile round trip to ParkLiner!

Aaron and his crew took good care of me and my ParkLiner! I have a bunch of photo's to upload...will probably get them up tomorrow. I had a great time down there, got the full tour of the facilities, stayed in my ParkLiner on friday night on their loading dock, the guys worked on mine for about 9 hours on saturday ... more to come about it all

and very important to me, I brought my bathroom scale along and my tongue weight came in at 285lbs! So Im very happy!

Thanks for everything Aaron (including pointing out dragon vaporz)

I'm glad it was a good trip and opportunity.
Look forward to the pics.

AmcGee 11-24-2013 08:44 PM

Thanks for the kind words Deryk we just wanted to do what was right and it was nice to meet you face to face. Now I really know who I'm talking with. Happy camping and let me know what you do about a case for your new toy

Aaron McGee

Spanke 11-25-2013 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 431411)
Thanks Jared...now I have an idea!

Yeah would be nice to be able to completely shut it off when not being used...I might have a A/B/both/off switch somewhere but Its a waste since I dont use 1 battery for engine starting from one of my boats...

Are you looking for one of these?

Attachment 66706

Search for battery kill switch.

Spanke

Carol H 11-25-2013 09:08 AM

Glad to hear it all worked out for you Deryk!

BL Chiffons 11-25-2013 07:43 PM

Parkliner battery box

Deryk, certainly found ourselves thinking about you as you and your Parkliner made the trek down to NC. So glad you had a safe trip. Look forward to seeing your pictures. So glad that you got to stay in your PL on the loading dock. We stayed in Danville when we were there in Sept. wonderful to hear that you had a positive experience. BL and Bev

frank_a 11-25-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BL Chiffons (Post 432732)
Deryk, certainly found ourselves thinking about you as you and your Parkliner made the trek down to NC. So glad you had a safe trip. Look forward to seeing your pictures. So glad that you got to stay in your PL on the loading dock. We stayed in Danville when we were there in Sept. wonderful to hear that you had a positive experience. BL and Bev

Hey girls! Would you mind telling me where you stayed in Danville? If you don't want to do it here, PM me. We may need a place near Gibsonville in May.

I am glad Deryk made the trek and other than getting work done on his ParkLiner, made it down and back okay! I'm looking forward to pics as well.

Frank

deryk 11-26-2013 07:50 AM

Thanks folks...going to be a delay...my laptop crashed sunday night. Figures Im ordering a new one in the next few days....but kind of caught up reloading...and working on projects at home.

BL Chiffons 11-26-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_a (Post 432733)
Hey girls! Would you mind telling me where you stayed in Danville? If you don't want to do it here, PM me. We may need a place near Gibsonville in May.

I am glad Deryk made the trek and other than getting work done on his ParkLiner, made it down and back okay! I'm looking forward to pics as well.

Frank

Frank, when we went down to PL in Sept we stayed at the Comfort Inn located 100 Tower Rd Danville,Va. It was great to hear Deryk was able to stay in his PL. We needed lodging that was pet friendly and budget friendly. Took us 45 mins from PL to Danville. Frank if you do happen to stay in Danville and are at all interested check out Millionaire's Row located in center of town. It really must have been during the height of textile industry.
Deryk, sorry to hear about your computer crashing. We look forward to seeing pics of your new battery box whenever you can post them. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! BL & Bev

deryk 12-01-2013 07:09 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Ok, sorry for the delay.... I like the nice clean look, and while down there, Aaron and his crew added the bypass kit for my water heater, as well as 2 drains at the lowest spot of my ParkLiner for draining the lines right by the sink, and running to my shower. They also added a drain for the water tank! Im very happy for the upgrade! I did get real lucky, I slid the propane tanks forward just the right amount to install the brackets for my wdh they were exactly in the right place lol...the battery box fit perfectly in there.

I haven't reweighed the tongue with the generator inside yet... need to do that the next time I take a trip.

cpaharley2008 12-01-2013 07:22 PM

Boy your frame certainly has a lot of holes drilled, close to 2 dozen holes I can count. I'd be leery of adding any more without some kind of reinforcement.

Ice-breaker 12-01-2013 08:33 PM

That is a very nice looking battery box they gave you, Deryk. Looks like it will do the job nicely.

I am only a civil engineer, and do not consider myself suitably qualified to give an opinion on the holes drilled in your frame. So I will leave it to the mechanical engineers in the group to comment whether the number, size and location of those bolt holes in your frame could possibly be an issue.

frank_a 12-02-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 433328)
Ok, sorry for the delay.... I like the nice clean look, and while down there, Aaron and his crew added the bypass kit for my water heater, as well as 2 drains at the lowest spot of my ParkLiner for draining the lines right by the sink, and running to my shower. They also added a drain for the water tank! Im very happy for the upgrade! I did get real lucky, I slid the propane tanks forward just the right amount to install the brackets for my wdh they were exactly in the right place lol...the battery box fit perfectly in there.

I haven't reweighed the tongue with the generator inside yet... need to do that the next time I take a trip.

Deryk, how many new trailers were in production while you were there? Any idea? Curious minds would like to know!

Boy, sounds like you did GOOD! We can't wait to get down there. Only about 6 more months...

Frank

Gretchen 12-02-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parklinercameron (Post 430995)
Gretchen,

Cameron at ParkLiner here. We are using 205-75-14 tires. Also, I am waiting for a production order from Chandler to communicate to customers. Great idea!

- Cameron

Great to see you on the forum Cameron!! Would love to see what trailer is being worked on the FB page and given a # to look forward to. :D

I was asking tire size because I was wondering if after widening the wheel well size, ParkLiner was keeping the same size tire or going back to a 15 inch. (If I am right that it originally came with a 15 inch?)

Thank you.

deryk 12-02-2013 08:15 AM

Thanks Frank...yeah I'm happy overall with it...and will be easier re-winterizing it next year.

frank_a 12-02-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 433362)
Thanks Frank...yeah I'm happy overall with it...and will be easier re-winterizing it next year.

I already did the hot water tank bypass, just need help now with bottom drains!

How many trailers in production when you were there Deryk?

Frank

deryk 12-02-2013 08:21 AM

One was nearly done, one was getting ready to be put onto a trailer and they were working in the molds so that is a 3rd. But Aaron said they have been doing alot of battery box upgrades and it all takes time away from production.

Gretchen 12-02-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 433328)

Hi Deryk,

The pictures look like they did really good work for you. Maybe a silly question, but what are the black half round things between the propane tank and battery box? I know its not a cupholder. :loltu

deryk 12-02-2013 08:34 AM

the brackets for my weight distribution hitch

Gretchen 12-02-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 433369)

Thanks for clearing that up for me!!

honda03842 12-02-2013 12:01 PM

Nice Battery box. Did they put a couple of drain oles in the bottom?

The battery switches are available at Harbor Freight, on sale this week.

Small holes in the frame should have little effect on beam strength.

frank_a 12-02-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 433369)

Deryk, what led to your decision to install a WDH? I was told I would not need one, and then we bought a used one (as you know), #006. Towing #006 from NJ back home I had no issues at all with sway, even in heavy wind.

Thanks,

Frank

deryk 12-02-2013 12:39 PM

Thanks Norm, there are either 6 or 8 ventholes in the battery box, so that problem should be solved...Im gonna have to head over to HF and take a look.

Frank, my Rav4 has a soft rear end and sagged alot with the ParkLiner on it(sagged with my gypsy vardo sized teardrop that had a close to 200lb tongue weight too) The wdh keeps the receiver from being like 9 inches off the road lol (maybe 11 now heh)

frank_a 12-02-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deryk (Post 433399)
Thanks Norm, there are either 6 or 8 ventholes in the battery box, so that problem should be solved...Im gonna have to head over to HF and take a look.

Frank, my Rav4 has a soft rear end and sagged alot with the ParkLiner on it(sagged with my gypsy vardo sized teardrop that had a close to 200lb tongue weight too) The wdh keeps the receiver from being like 9 inches off the road lol (maybe 11 now heh)

Oh, okay, I get it. We tried Tim & Rita's with Gail's new Escape, and the back of the Escape dropped like 1/2" with the ParkLiner attached. We dragged it back from NJ with the F150, and I don't think my truck knew anything was back there...

Thanks!

Frank

deryk 12-02-2013 01:09 PM

yeah I dont feel the weight of the ParkLiner while towing but its just the way Rav4's are...I read up on the owners forum, tried air bags in the coil springs for extra lift....wasnt impressed so I ordered the wdh and it was setup for an anti sway bar so added one too. Usually I dont have the anti sway bar tightened...only when its real windy.