Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Modifications, Alterations and Updates (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Dave & Paula's Lil Snoozy mods in progress. (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/dave-and-paulas-lil-snoozy-mods-in-progress-64768.html)

David B. 06-12-2014 11:12 PM

Dave & Paula's Lil Snoozy mods in progress.

8 Attachment(s)
We sold our Scamp 13 Deluxe and ordered a Lil Snoozy "our way". Started with surge DISC brakes, installed air conditioner 6" lower to make room for larger overhead cabinets, MaxxFan instead of the Fantastic Fan, HEHR jaousey windows (also 6" shorter than standard Snoozy windows), 12 volt Truck Fridge,
sprayer style kitchen faucet. I added 3 12"x12"x36" overhead cabinets with shelves on each end, and relocated the microwave up over the flush mounted 2 burner propane cook top. I added and a custom frame mounted spare tire rack, & have yet to mount the 100 watt flexible solar panel, propane water heater, and a Propex furnace. Many personal touches yet to come.:cool:

cpaharley2008 06-13-2014 05:47 AM

very nice, I really like those windows and that counter top!!

blodn1 06-13-2014 06:07 AM

Good job! It looks really clean, and the countertop is great!

Jack L 06-13-2014 06:16 AM

It looks great ! We hope to see it in person soon. I'm thinking the rear door set up will be really nice.

Timber Wolf 06-13-2014 07:59 AM

Fantastic, I love your mods and they should make for a great rig.

carlkeigley 06-13-2014 08:14 AM

Really nice re-design.
I like your cabinet setup better than the stock.
Makes for much cleaner counter top.

I see they moved the door latch.
Good idea.

honda03842 06-13-2014 08:32 AM

Good job David. Snoozy should hire you.

MCDenny 06-13-2014 08:38 AM

Wow! It looks great. Bigger cabinets and the microwave up too are a much better use of space that 6" higher windows. I see you added shelf brackets to support the m-wave and larger cabinets. Good idea.

I don't know how much $ this would add to the Snoozy price but I also think it is a lot better than the stock configuration.

deryk 06-13-2014 08:44 AM

luv the clock lol

Kudzu Asheville 06-13-2014 01:16 PM

It looks great!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app

David B. 06-13-2014 08:48 PM

:D Thank you all for the positive feedback. I am having fun doing all the things to make it "US". The clock was a must have, as I have been working out inside the Snoozy in 108 degree temps. Today I installed Phlip-it latches on all the doors & drawers and was able to close the Snoozy up and turn on the air
conditioner, although not cold, it did help make it tolerable. The morphing continues.
Dave & Paula

jennykatz 06-14-2014 06:17 AM

how did you secure spare tire ? we have a snoozy and was wondering if the fiberglass sides are strong enough for weight of tire ?

David B. 06-14-2014 07:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennykatz (Post 464387)
how did you secure spare tire ? we have a snoozy and was wondering if the fiberglass sides are strong enough for weight of tire ?

3 Round 1/4" thick disc plates were 1st welded to the frame to distribute the forces on the frame. 1.5" 1.20 wall DOM was bent to hug the body's profile while keeping the spare tire aligned with the tire on the ground. I know of at least one person that has mounted the tire using bolts through the body but used plywood inside to distribute the load.
I hope this helps.
Dave & Paula

David B. 06-14-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCDenny (Post 464213)
Wow! It looks great. Bigger cabinets and the microwave up too are a much better use of space that 6" higher windows. I see you added shelf brackets to support the m-wave and larger cabinets. Good idea.

I don't know how much $ this would add to the Snoozy price but I also think it is a lot better than the stock configuration.

I don't know how much it would add either, as the people who make the cabinets for Snoozy were not interested in doing this for us at any price. I did keep the original two cabinets (one over head & one upright) and did not have them installed, as they only were going to credit me only $100.00 if they kept them.
I thought that I could possibly use them in some other application.
Dave & Paula

papa-t 06-15-2014 08:10 AM

Nice Job. Looks great

Timon 07-27-2014 09:04 AM

Really nice especially the finish match between with the base cabinets.

Have some questions.

Do you know what the dry weigh was after your modifications?
Where did you get the cabinets or did you make them?
How did you mount the cabinets? I see the shelf brackets but are those ceiling pieces added by the factory?
Did the factory add the wiring for the microwave or did you move it and extend the wiring?
I like the spare tire holder. I'd do a bolt on but that's a easy change. BTW, what is "DOM" tubing?

I'd love to see a few more pictures showing the front of the cabinets both upper and lower.

Personally I never likes surge brakes as I'd rather have control from the cab. I do like the addition of disc brakes though. I'll have to ask if they will do standard electric brakes.

Once again that's a super nice job.

John

David B. 07-27-2014 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did not get a dry weight on the finished product, as I was in a big hurry to finish it up to be able to live in it at the Cleveland Clinic, and in Michigan during my 12 week surgical recovery period (presently 2 weeks post-op). I had the Snoozy factory install the HEHR windows I picked out (6"shorter & louvered instead of the slider style), and install them as well as the air-conditiioner 6" lower to accept the larger over-head cabinets that I fashioned out of 36"spanner cabinets from Home Depot (I only used the cabinet faces). I used the existing window "pinch rail" mounting screws to mount aluminum "L" brackets and shelving supports to hold the 3/4" birch plywood base (one long shelf), and affixed the sides & cabinet fronts to it. The microwave & lighting wires did have to be extended to make this work. Roll shades are attached below this for window covering. The factory installed a 12 volt only Truckfridge, I installed the SMEV 2 burner propane cook top, and fiberglass propane tank. I still plan to mount interior cabinet LED lights to both upper & lower, reading lights, flexible 100 watt solar panel, and Propex furnace (a la McDenny), and propane water heater, all of which await me in our garage.... probably a winter project. DOM is drawn over mandril mild steel .120 wall thickness. More pictures will be coming months down the road, after I get home and through recovery.
I hope this helped answer your questions.
Dave & Paula

Timber Wolf 07-28-2014 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B. (Post 472677)
I had the Snoozy factory install the HEHR windows I picked out (6"shorter & louvered instead of the slider style), and install them as well as the air-conditiioner 6" lower to accept the larger over-head cabinets that I fashioned out of 36"spanner cabinets from Home Depot
Dave & Paula

Pretty nice that Snoozy was willing to work with you on your factory installed mods. That is rare these days. If I could just get over how wide they are with the outside wheels & fenders (yes, I know that helps with "stabilty", but then I have never flipped a trailer over either).

MCDenny 07-29-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B. (Post 472677)
I did not get a dry weight on the finished product, as I was in a big hurry to finish it up to be able to live in it at the Cleveland Clinic, and in Michigan.

Dave & Paula

Hey Dave, where are you camping in Mich.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com

David B. 07-29-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCDenny (Post 473109)
Hey Dave, where are you camping in Mich.

Denny Wolfe

I am at Houghton Lake Michigan. Do you think you'll be in the area?
Dave & Paula

MCDenny 07-29-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B. (Post 473122)
I am at Houghton Lake Michigan. Do you think you'll be in the area?
Dave & Paula

Maybe weekend of 8/9. I'll let you know closer to that date.

Night Sailor 07-30-2014 01:00 AM

Love it. The wheels and spare look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

David B. 07-30-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Sailor (Post 473280)
Love it. The wheels and spare look great!

Thank you. I've been kicking around the idea of using a RAV4 spare tire cover painted to match the Snoozy, and creating another one on the other side but have it house a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries. This way the solar panel wires would be a shorter run and the tongue wt. would not increase.
Dave & Paula

BAMA & Pachyderm Posse 07-30-2014 07:26 AM

Dave please put your mods on SNOOZY OWNERS CLUB thanks , I will swap with u an not even charge any boot . lol

MCDenny 07-30-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B. (Post 473296)
Thank you. I've been kicking around the idea of using a RAV4 spare tire cover painted to match the Snoozy, and creating another one on the other side but have it house a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries. This way the solar panel wires would be a shorter run and the tongue wt. would not increase.

Dave & Paula

That's a great idea if you can make the battery box mount strong enough to take the shock of hitting a bump with the 130# overhung load. This might be a place where the small size and light weight of Lithium batteries would justify their higher cost.

Since the fake spare would be, well...fake, you could make it whatever size you need to accommodate the batteries.

Denny Wolfe

Dudley 07-30-2014 08:28 AM

Got to ask, where did you get the fiberglassrv.com sticker?

David B. 09-27-2014 10:12 AM

Dave & Paula's Lil Snoozy mods in progress

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more modifications that I've made. Installed a wire rack under the bed up in the nose where the floor really slops to much to use for storage. I also used 40lb lifting capacity 20" long gas struts to aid in lifting the bed platform to access the under bed storage....to do this I needed to replace the very tight fitting home queen mattress and replace it with two of our very comfortable hiking mattress. 110 volt "Smart" charger along with a Xantrex C12 solar controller fits nicely just under the bed platform.
Dave & Paula

David B. 09-27-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudley (Post 473312)
Got to ask, where did you get the fiberglassrv.com sticker?

If you go to the top of this Page you will find the on site store in the "More" tab.
Dave & Paula

MCDenny 09-27-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B. (Post 484741)
Here are a few more modifications that I've made. Installed a wire rack under the bed up in the nose where the floor really slops to much to use for storage. I also used 40lb lifting capacity 20" long gas struts to aid in lifting the bed platform to access the under bed storage....to do this I needed to replace the very tight fitting home queen mattress and replace it with two of our very comfortable hiking mattress. 110 volt "Smart" charger along with a Xantrex C12 solar controller fits nicely just under the bed platform.
Dave & Paula

Nice work Dave. That space in the very front is hard to use without a shelf, everything just rolls backward.

Denny Wolfe

greg489 09-29-2014 10:08 AM

A man and his mission ;) Nice work Dave.
Keep modivating us, I love it. G :D

Could you possibly share a little more info on the charger setup?

David B. 09-29-2014 12:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg489 (Post 485014)
A man and his mission ;) Nice work Dave.
Keep modivating us, I love it. G :D

Could you possibly share a little more info on the charger setup?

The "Battery MINDer" I got from "Batteries Plus". It is a smart charger, that you select the type of battery (AGM, Flooded, Gel), that has a temperature monitor connected to the battery so it can adjust the charge more accurately. The Xantrex solor controller C 12 will control the 200 watt flexible solar panels I am waiting for my second panel to arrive) to charge the battery the same way the smart charger does. I mounted both of these under the head of the bed, within the bed framing. If you or anyone else has some Lil Snoozy modification ideas, feel free to let them be known so the rest of us can benefit. ;)
Dave & Paula

greg489 09-29-2014 02:48 PM

Thanks Dave. Will do.

David B. 10-14-2014 05:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today I finished installing our 200 watt (2 100 watt Renogy RNG-100DB) flexible solar panels on the front of our Lil Snoozy, using 3M VHB outdoor tape.
Originally I was going to mount them on the roof, but that would be a hassle getting up there to clean them from dirt/bird droppings/dew. These panels allow for a 30 degree flex, and can be walked on. They sure are thin & light. :cool:
Dave & Paula

David B. 10-14-2014 10:17 PM

I sure wished that I had used these on our Scamp 13' years ago. :o

Timber Wolf 10-15-2014 07:35 AM

Neat install, let us know how it works. I have actually been considering what kind of ladder to carry along camping when I get my panels mounted on top of the Scamp (any day now, really).

MCDenny 10-15-2014 08:11 AM

Aren't those panels sweet? 200w should give you power to burn. With 100w we have never not had a full battery by the afternoon.

Denny Wolfe

greg489 10-15-2014 08:18 AM

That looks cool Dave! Is your battery(ies) on the inside of the trailer? You mentioned the panels are tough enough to be walked on, so I'm assuming traveling down the road with them on the front will not be a problem. Could you share where you got them? 200 watts should supply all you need. Let us know how they perform & thanks for sharing photos.

David B. 10-15-2014 12:15 PM

I got the panels on-line from Renogy.
I have a single LIFELINE GPL 4DL AGM battery under the bed. This was the original location of the flooded battery, so all the wiring did not have to be moved, and I didn't have to weld a mount on the tongue and try to figure out a new place for our fiberglass propane tank. I know that many feel that even an AGM battery shouldn't be placed inside :eek:, so please let's not open that discussion up again. :reye2
Dave & Paula

greg489 10-15-2014 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info bud! I like what I'm seeing & reading.

Timber Wolf 10-15-2014 02:52 PM

An AGM 4D? Yee Ha! You Sir, are my Hero.;)

Camper Mom 10-27-2014 01:16 PM

Great idea for the spare time! I have a Snoozy too, the spare tire takes up a lot of space in the storage area...

Night Sailor 10-27-2014 03:03 PM

It just goes to show that the LS is a great platform. Too bad the manufacturer doesn't offer more options and customization.

I think a slightly longer camper on this basic design would be well received. It has so much going for it. Aerodynamics, rear entry, front bed.

I'm glad so many people are making more out of them like you and McDenny.

David B. 01-21-2015 11:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I just added a Propex Heatsource HS2000 ducted propane furnace under the floor of one of the cabinets. Makes for a clean install. Dave & Paula

David B. 01-21-2015 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pictures. Intake & exhaust tubes exit through the floor. The intake follows the axle, and the exhaust travels rearward along the frame. Dave & Paula

MCDenny 01-22-2015 01:22 AM

Dave, looks great. What do you think of the noise level compared to a regular RV furnace like a Suburban?

Denny Wolfe

Jeff in Salinas 01-22-2015 08:10 AM

Love seeing these mods. You don't happen to be going to the rally next May in King City, CA - San Lorenzo park? I'm going to check out some FGRV's in person and would love to see a Lil Snoozy in the wild and check out the mods. Snoozy still the top of my list figuring out what I want.

David B. 01-22-2015 08:08 PM

Denny, it's whisper quiet. I don't think it's cycling on/off will wake me at all. Our 2 Scamps Suburban furnaces would cause me to bolt up-wright when it would come on.
Jeff, we won't be going to California in May, but will be in Quartzsite Az. next month if you would care to see a couple hundred fiberglass trailers all in one place, you should come.
I also installed LED strip lights inside our cabinets, activated by magnetic switches. I didn't feel pictures would do it justice, so I didn't take any.
I have been thinking of adding a 4" lift in the not to distant future, for off road camping.
Dave & Paula

TomK 01-22-2015 10:03 PM

Dave & Paula, what a beautiful trailer. I've seen this thread before but have been remiss in not commenting. I can't believe all the storage and counter space you have created in a small trailer. Even with all that it still looks roomy! I think LS ought to offer the Dave & Paula Model, and send you a percentage. I can't wait to see it in person. Wow!!

Tom

David B. 01-22-2015 10:59 PM

TomK, we will be at the Shelbyville gathering in June, so perhaps we will see you there?
Dave & Paula

Jeff in Salinas 01-22-2015 11:45 PM

Wish I could make Quartzsite Dave but still a working stiff, at least for 5.8 more years :-) Till then summers are about only time I can take trips. I'll have to settle for pictures of the great mods. The more details and pics the better. All the things done, or planned like that 4" lift are things I'd want to do also.

TomK 01-23-2015 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B. (Post 501042)
TomK, we will be at the Shelbyville gathering in June, so perhaps we will see you there?
Dave & Paula

Yes, that's correct. I remember you mentioning that. Looking forward to meeting you two and seeing the Mansion up close. I'm anxious to learn a little bit about AZ too. It's on our short list. :)

Tom

David B. 11-08-2019 05:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After 5 years and many many hours of living 4-5 months out of LS, we’ve worn out our jack knife sofa. I replaced it with a 51” love seat ( only 2 of us), which left us with room to add a lighted clothes closet/shoe/umbrella storage area, and I added a flexible reading lamp above Paula’s side of the love seat.

charlsara 11-08-2019 10:32 PM

Nice job David.

DonnaMarie 11-09-2019 09:51 AM

Beautiful!! wonderful use of the space Dave & Paula...you guys are amazing!!

CarlD 11-09-2019 11:59 AM

Nice Job, you are really going to appreciate the space. Similar to what I put at the rear of my Lil Hauley. Its where I store my hand held bug zappers.

Al and Cindy K 11-13-2019 04:22 PM

Looks great Dave. Anything to increase storage in these puppies is an awesome mod. Hope you and Paula are doing well and that we can put a trip together that will take us out your way next Spring.

Al & Cindy