Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/scamp-full-size-bed-smaller-table-size-65096.html)

TomK 07-01-2014 06:42 PM

Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size
 
A month or two ago I read a thread that discussed the smaller dinette table size you will get when you order the wider 54" full size bed. I discussed this with David in the production side of the house at Scamp yesterday.

My intention was to order a bigger table. He explained why they do it the way they do, and it made sense to me. YMMV The standard bed is 44" wide, and the table is too. With the wider 54" bed, they shorten the table to 32" and furnish a 20" filler board to support the bed. The reason given was as follows. A 54" table would block access to the dining area. You couldn't have a 44" table and a 10" filler because the filler wouldn't stay put due to the way the benches are angled out for access, and a 10" filler board would be too weak to support the bed. It would break if someone sat or laid on it.

We plan to keep it made up as a bed anyway, but I like to keep my options open. You never know. If I find the 32" table too short, there are many good ideas for mods to fix that.

Curious to know what they do in the Deluxe models? Ours is Std. Anyone?

Tom

Jon in AZ 07-01-2014 06:53 PM

I'd love to see some pictures when you get your trailer. I've heard about the optional larger bed but have yet to see what it looks like.

Actually what I'd really like is for Scamp to make the larger bed available on the 16' Standard, Layout 3. Then I might get a bad case of 3'-itis!

TomK 07-01-2014 07:14 PM

I'll get some pictures posted when we get back from our trip home Jon. We looked at a finished 13 with the larger bed when we visited Scamp and placed our order last January. The closet or pantry cabinet appeared to be about 8" wide. Very narrow if you're used to the normal sized one. The sink / stove counter space was next to non existent as well. That extra 10" of bed has to come from somewhere.

You do gain a little extra space under the dinette benches and under bunk storage. We got all the upper storage cabinets we could as well. The rear center one won't fit if you get the fantastic fan and roof A/C. We did. We have two small dogs that share the bed. Long story short; I was out voted. The extra 10" was so important; we were prepared to get the Deluxe. When Scamp decided to offer it in the standard model, we saved nearly $3K.

Like you and I'm sure many others, I think they should offer the 54" bed in the 16. It could be a big selling point. They say 65% of Scamps sold are 13' models. Maybe that's why they did that one first.

Tom

Donna D. 07-01-2014 07:36 PM

Tom, you brought up a good point for those that want big bathrooms. REALLY? Where do you think that space is coming from? I'd rather have a bigger bed or more closet space, or more kitchen counter space than a BIG bathroom. How much time do you spend in there anyway? It's NOT a ballroom where you need to share space. It's functional, you get clean and deal with bodily functions. It's not a place you should dance. You want to do that.. stay home. This is a tiny, lightweight towable YMMV.

Jon in AZ 07-01-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomK (Post 467838)
Like you and I'm sure many others, I think they should offer the 54" bed in the 16. It could be a big selling point.

I can only hope the 16'er will be next. For now, we split the kids and the beds. I share the bunks with one and my wife shares the "big" bed with the other. When they get too big for that, out they go into a tent. But if my wife and I continue to camp after the nest is empty, I'll be looking for the larger bed. My youngest is 8, so that gives Scamp about 10 years or so!

TomK 07-01-2014 07:56 PM

I agree Donna. We thought a 13' was just a little too small for a bathroom. The space is small enough, without walling off 30%. We will probably leave the bed made, and eat on the couch or outside. It looks a little roomier with that configuration to our way of thinking. I know our solution is not for everyone. It should work for us though. There are valid arguments for both sides. I respect them all.

BTW, the first time I saw "YMMV" was when you used it years ago. It took me a while to figure out what it stood for. I finally did and use it all the time. he,he.

If you get a good nights sleep and a good cup of coffee, everything else will fall in line. We did the best we could configuring the camper for us. Soon it will be time to enjoy it!

Tom

MarkyVasquez 07-01-2014 07:57 PM

The 54" beds is doable in the 16'. They offer it in the deluxe model. They would just have to make it like the deluxe but in fiberglass instead of wood. Maybe they want to keep the 54" bed in the deluxe because of the higher price.


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Donna D. 07-01-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomK (Post 467847)

BTW, the first time I saw "YMMV" was when you used it years ago. It took me a while to figure out what it stood for. I finally did and use it all the time. he,he.

Tom

Yeah Tom! YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. Which means My thoughts and Opnions may not meet YOURS.

Safe travels, always :dance

Jon in AZ 07-01-2014 09:24 PM

I'm thinking if they are willing to engineer it into the 13' standard (least expensive unit), surely there would be no reason not to offer it in the 16' standard eventually. For reasons of weight, price, and, yes, even appearance (to me, anyway), I prefer the fiberglass interiors. But because new molds have to be produced, I'm thinking it's more work (and riskier) to make design changes. Change comes slowly in Backus… but it does come!

Donna D. 07-01-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon in AZ (Post 467862)
..... Change come slowly in Backus… but it does come!

... and folks wonder why I'm just hours from being an Escape owner... I mean, REALLY?

Jon in AZ 07-01-2014 09:41 PM

Okay, Donna… it comes slo-o-o-o-o-wly…
Haven't been following your Escape thread recently and didn't realize it was down to hours. Getting any sleep at all?!!
Hope you enjoy your new, really big bed!!!

Borrego Dave 07-02-2014 12:02 AM

Maybe we need to concider our Scamps and Casitas as entry level moulded trailers. You get what you see and if you want something changed go elsewhere. Sad, but good for other companies willing to change things up for customers. Word of mouth from owners and prospective buyers can sure make a difference to what someone chooses look at and buy. Not saying this to start any arguments, so don't go there. I like my Casita but I can understand why long time owners are moving up to higher end trailers. Just my 2 cents worth.

Timber Wolf 07-02-2014 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna D. (Post 467845)
Tom, you brought up a good point for those that want big bathrooms. REALLY? Where do you think that space is coming from? I'd rather have a bigger bed or more closet space, or more kitchen counter space than a BIG bathroom. How much time do you spend in there anyway? It's NOT a ballroom where you need to share space. It's functional, you get clean and deal with bodily functions. It's not a place you should dance. You want to do that.. stay home. This is a tiny, lightweight towable YMMV.

No singing and dancing in the bathroom?:) Seriously though, I will wipe down with a wet wash cloth before I take a shower in my Scamp. I do like having the option provided by the "full" bathroom though. My King bed at home has plum spoiled me so a large bed would be a real selling point if I am ever in the market again.:rolleyes:

TomK 07-02-2014 06:20 AM

I have always appreciated the smaller things in life. Small cars, small trucks, small dogs, small weapons, tents, you name it. I think the little Scamp 13 will fit our "small" lifestyle now. I'm not saying we'll never want a 16 or bigger; but I can't imagine that happening . If I wanted a bigger one, that's what I would have bought.

That said, I know many want or need the larger sizes. I think Scamp will eventually include the larger bed in the 16's, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They've been in business longer than most, so they must know what they are doing. Slow and steady change allowed them to weather many financial downturns in the market. If they offered whatever we wanted and doubled their sales, what would happen to them in a downturn? I'm just lucky they happen to make the trailer we want. If they didn't, the competition would have. That's a good thing. If bigger and fancier fits you; other choices are out there.

I wonder if anyone at Eveland's ever looks at this forum? Somehow I don't think so. I will be sure and tell them loud and clear about all the inquiries for wider beds in the other models, when we pick our's up next month.

Tom

Timber Wolf 07-02-2014 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomK (Post 467891)
They've been in business longer than most, so they must know what they are doing.


I agree in principle, but it wouldn't seem like offering LED lights would be a real stretch or business-busting territory to explore.;) This ain't exactly "New Coke" or Ford moving the horn button to the end of the turn signal stuff. Just moving from the 1970's to 2014.:omy (My apologies to Scamp if they now offer LED lighting.)

TomK 07-02-2014 08:06 AM

I asked about L.E.D.'s and was told they still don't offer them. I asked why and they didn't have an explanation. :shy

I agree with your post. Sometimes their decisions make no sense at all to us customers. I can think of no possible reason in the world for not offering L.E.D.'s. Sometimes they have a good explanation as in the shorter table reason given, but we'd like to know.

One of life's mysteries...

Tom

floyd 07-02-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timber Wolf (Post 467899)
I agree in principle, but it wouldn't seem like offering LED lights would be a real stretch or business-busting territory to explore.;) This ain't exactly "New Coke" or Ford moving the horn button to the end of the turn signal stuff. Just moving from the 1970's to 2014.:omy (My apologies to Scamp if they now offer LED lighting.)

I find most LED lighting to be annoying to the eye, but let's face it...
Switching to LED aftermarket is not exactly rocket science, and with a little shopping acumen, may actually prove cheaper.
I suggest installing LEDs only in heavy use fixtures where the energy savings can be realized and the quality of the light can be tolerated.

Question:
How many Scampers does it take to install a lightbulb?

Answer:
One to do the actual install, and ten to extoll the merits of OEM installation!:loltu

floyd 07-02-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomK (Post 467838)
I'll get some pictures posted when we get back from our trip home Jon. We looked at a finished 13 with the larger bed when we visited Scamp and placed our order last January. The closet or pantry cabinet appeared to be about 8" wide. Very narrow if you're used to the normal sized one. The sink / stove counter space was next to non existent as well. That extra 10" of bed has to come from somewhere.

You do gain a little extra space under the dinette benches and under bunk storage. We got all the upper storage cabinets we could as well. The rear center one won't fit if you get the fantastic fan and roof A/C. We did. We have two small dogs that share the bed. Long story short; I was out voted. The extra 10" was so important; we were prepared to get the Deluxe. When Scamp decided to offer it in the standard model, we saved nearly $3K.

Like you and I'm sure many others, I think they should offer the 54" bed in the 16. It could be a big selling point. They say 65% of Scamps sold are 13' models. Maybe that's why they did that one first.

Tom

I have the rear center cabinet in my 13deluxe front bath with A/C , Fantastic Fan, and factory antenna. there is plenty of room to spare.
The "pantry cabinet" on ours is actually 15" wide.(might be 14" on the fiberglass version).
I just priced one recently, and when comparably equipped, the Deluxe option shrank to under $1500 due to the package content of the Deluxe.
Fortunately, Scamp offers both and both are excellent values when compared to their competition.^_^

floyd 07-02-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borrego Dave (Post 467878)
Maybe we need to concider our Scamps and Casitas as entry level moulded trailers. You get what you see and if you want something changed go elsewhere. Sad, but good for other companies willing to change things up for customers. Word of mouth from owners and prospective buyers can sure make a difference to what someone chooses look at and buy. Not saying this to start any arguments, so don't go there. I like my Casita but I can understand why long time owners are moving up to higher end trailers. Just my 2 cents worth.

While both good products...Scamp and Casita are somewhat different business models. Options and customization on the Scamp are about as broad as any fiberglass trailer in the industry.
Scamp does offer "entry level" trailers, but they also offer fully optioned Custom Deluxe models as opulent and varied as any.
When it comes to 13' compact fiberglass trailers, Scamp has no peer.

Escape is pretty much "sizing" itself into an altogether different demographic market.
For me it's...(no 13 footer, no RV trailer) thus no competition.^_^
Choice is a good thing though, as is competition.
I hope they all flourish in a robust economy!:thumb

Every company balks in some odd way which is not really noticed until it affects your choices. On my last new car, I was refused leather seating because I ordered a manual transmission.:crazy-ii

melissab 07-02-2014 10:18 AM

I too have the rear center cabinet in my 13 Deluxe front bunks with A/C and Fantastic Fan so it can be done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by floyd (Post 467915)
I have the rear center cabinet in my 13deluxe front bath with A/C , Fantastic Fan, and factory antenna. there is plenty of room to spare.
The "pantry cabinet" on ours is actually 15" wide.(might be 14" on the fiberglass version).
I just priced one recently, and when comparably equipped, the Deluxe option shrank to under $1500 due to the package content of the Deluxe.
Fortunately, Scamp offers both and both are excellent values when compared to their competition.^_^


RogerDat 07-02-2014 10:44 AM

Different strokes for different folks. I like LED lights, wife finds the color and intensity does not suit her. Some would not consider a no bath option, others don't want to give up the space or window.

I'm glad there are a lot of choices where one can get what works for them at many different market prices. From the basic to the deluxe models offered by different manufactures focused on different segments of the market. Basic to high end deluxe there is something that is perfect for your needs. With enough competition to drive innovation over time.

I like my 13 and it meets my needs, maybe someday I'll decide that a 16 or 17 ft. size with a bathroom is a better choice and I will have lots of possibilities to choose from.

TomK 07-02-2014 02:49 PM

Floyd, if there was one person on this forum that steered us toward a Scamp it was you. I have read your posts for years and one by one you allayed any doubts I had. I agree, nobody does a 13' FGRV with as many options or choices as Scamp. Having never seen one up close, we went to Backus in Jan. I'm the kind of person that needs to see something like that "up close and personal". It lived up to all my expectations. As I said we were ready to get the Deluxe if for no other reason than the 54" bed. The wood trim in the Deluxe was as nice as any I've seen in any RV that cost 3 times as much. We went back and forth between the Deluxe and Standard, but in the end we decided that we liked the Standard enough to save the $3K difference. We'll put that into gas and camping fees.

I'm not sure why the rear cabinet doesn't fit with the Standard model that has A/C and fan. Does the fiberglass cabinet have longer flanges for riveting? Not sure. I really want to compare the 2 models after we get ours. The side cabinet did not look to be anywhere near 14", but I didn't measure it. I don't believe the door was on it either, so maybe I was looking at the opening rather that the inside dimension. I hope you're right on that! We could use the space. Changing to L.E.D.'s was on the to-do list, but you may have a point about not doing it all at once. I know they come in different colors from cold bright blue to warmer yellow appearing lights. I like the warmer more natural colors myself for area lighting. There's plenty of time for experimentation.

Melissa, I've followed your exploits for a few years as well. Asking lots of questions, buying the T@b, camping with your girls. I admired your sense of adventure and independence. We will be wintering in your state since our daughter and SIL moved down to St Pete this year. We'll be at Scamp Camp next Feb. Do you attend that? Hopefully we run into each other sometime on the road. Same with you Floyd.

Tom

BillE 07-03-2014 10:24 PM

Fan & Rear cabinet in standars
 
The standard fiberglass rear cabinet has the flange for mounting and that is exactly why the fan does not fit.

I have a 2011 with A/C and went up to Backus last Sept. to get a Fan put in. It will not fit...Scamp put it in front of the A/C.:)

floyd 07-03-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillE (Post 468279)
The standard fiberglass rear cabinet has the flange for mounting and that is exactly why the fan does not fit.

I have a 2011 with A/C and went up to Backus last Sept. to get a Fan put in. It will not fit...Scamp put it in front of the A/C.:)

Actually, your A/C could have been moved forward enough to allow the fan over the bed, had it been planned in with the original order.^_^

TomK 07-04-2014 05:56 AM

Kracker180 (Bob) on youtube has a nice little video about his 2013 Std 13' Scamp. He walks you thru the options and states not getting a rear o/h cabinet with a roof fan and A/C setup at 6:35. Floyd is correct when he stated the fan is over the bed if ordered with both fan and A/C. We ordered the front overhead cabinet, but will probably keep it empty when towing in an effort to keep the hitch weight down.

If anyone is thinking about a new Scamp I would recommend going to Backus and spending some time with a salesman. We had a list of questions answered and got to see the quality first hand. It's quite impressive how far they are willing to go to please. Of course spending some time educating yourself on this forum helped tremendously. If I didn't read about a few things here first; I wouldn't have known to ask.

Here's the video:

our brand new 2013 scamp travel trailer - YouTube

MarkyVasquez 07-04-2014 03:09 PM

Scamp and Casita make a great RV and I think the time to sell them is now. I believe the baby boomers are starting to retire and are looking at traveling. They've worked 12 hour days, at 6 days per week. They've saved and in their retirement are looking for RVs.
If we look at the census there's a lot of people who are a little bigger than their previous generation. Most of the time with husband and wife working, stress and there just isn't enough time to cook. Fast food is now the trend. To have them sleep together on a 44" bed is not good selling point, especially since beds have gotten bigger. I remember my parents, uncles and grandparents, sleeping on a double bed. We have a queen sized bed and my daughters have a king size bed at their homes.
The newer generations want refrigerators with freezers and larger beds. I don't understand why Dometric can't put a freezer in their 1.9 gas refrigerator but they can in their electric refrigerator. I applaud Scamp on their move to a 54" bed in their 13' standard and some mods had to be done. They have an almost 3 month waiting time to get one built! The 13' is their best seller, imagine if they had their 16' sell at the same rate! IMHO

Marky


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

floyd 07-04-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez (Post 468379)
Scamp and Casita make a great RV and I think the time to sell them is now. I believe the baby boomers are starting to retire and are looking at traveling. They've worked 12 hour days, at 6 days per week. They've saved and in their retirement are looking for RVs.
If we look at the census there's a lot of people who are a little bigger than their previous generation. Most of the time with husband and wife working, stress and there just isn't enough time to cook. Fast food is now the trend. To have them sleep together on a 44" bed is not good selling point, especially since beds have gotten bigger. I remember my parents, uncles and grandparents, sleeping on a double bed. We have a queen sized bed and my daughters have a king size bed at their homes.
The newer generations want refrigerators with freezers and larger beds. I don't understand why Dometric can't put a freezer in their 1.9 gas refrigerator but they can in their electric refrigerator. I applaud Scamp on their move to a 54" bed in their 13' standard and some mods had to be done. They have an almost 3 month waiting time to get one built! The 13' is their best seller, imagine if they had their 16' sell at the same rate! IMHO

Marky


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

They nearly doubled their factory capacity after the fire in '06, and they still sell every trailer they can build to buyers waiting in line.
I don't use the "B" word but many of them will find that they lose a lot of weight when they enter their retirement lifestyle with more activity and fewer doughnut breaks and scheduled meals. Not to mention shedding all the day-to-day stress.^_^ At least the opportunity is there for most.
I lost fifty pounds in my first five years of retirement with no dieting.
Still... we love the larger bed in our Scamp13D, and the shower seems to have grown a bit (for me) too!:loltu

MarkyVasquez 07-05-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floyd (Post 468391)
They nearly doubled their factory capacity after the fire in '06, and they still sell every trailer they can build to buyers waiting in line.
I don't use the "B" word but many of them will find that they lose a lot of weight when they enter their retirement lifestyle with more activity and fewer doughnut breaks and scheduled meals. Not to mention shedding all the day-to-day stress.^_^ At least the opportunity is there for most.
I lost fifty pounds in my first five years of retirement with no dieting.
Still... we love the larger bed in our Scamp13D, and the shower seems to have grown a bit (for me) too!:loltu


When I used the B word Floyd I meant taller. Lol! I've read about your Scamp13D on your posts and you are the authority on it. I've learned a lot about the Scamp 13D just by reading your posts, and congratulations on your weight loss. I hope to do both someday. The only thing is I live in south Texas and I still work. Happy camping and I'd like to cross campfires with you and share some 13D war stories someday.


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

TomK 07-05-2014 04:05 AM

[QUOTE=MarkyVasquez;468444]When I used the B word Floyd I meant taller. Lol! I've read about your Scamp13D on your posts and you are the authority on it. I've learned a lot about the Scamp 13D just by reading your posts, and congratulations on your weight loss. I hope to do both someday. The only thing is I live in south Texas and I still work. Happy camping and I'd like to cross campfires with you and share some 13D war stories someday.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Marky. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what Floyd meant by the "B" word. I went backwards and figured out he was referring to your bigger comment. Duh!

Tom

honda03842 07-05-2014 09:03 AM

Losing.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by floyd (Post 468391)
They nearly doubled their factory capacity after the fire in '06, and they still sell every trailer they can build to buyers waiting in line.
I don't use the "B" word but many of them will find that they lose a lot of weight when they enter their retirement lifestyle with more activity and fewer doughnut breaks and scheduled meals. Not to mention shedding all the day-to-day stress.^_^ At least the opportunity is there for most.
I lost fifty pounds in my first five years of retirement with no dieting.
Still... we love the larger bed in our Scamp13D, and the shower seems to have grown a bit (for me) too!:loltu

With you on losing weight.. we've lost about 120 lbs without consciously dieting over 13 years and feel so much better. When we started Ginny had a knee going bad. With the weight gone, the knee is dramatically better.

As to LEDs as a light source, as we've aged I've come to like their whiteness better because for my eyes they create a higher contrast light for reading, incandescent lights basically produce a yellow light.

It's funny, we're home now sleeping in our Queen sized bed. We wake sometime sadly feeling as though we've slept alone, yearning for the closeness of our 44 inch Scamp bed.

There is a magic quality to RV living. Some of it is not immediately apparent but after a time, one v=begins to see the life and health benefits.

Healthy travels....

rdickens 07-08-2014 11:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
When I broke the news about the smaller table with the 54" bed, I also mentioned that the smaller table made the trailer feel more "open" and spacious. However, for 4 adults, it makes an indoor meal or an evening of cards and/or board games more difficult. (In the future, I will undoubtedly do some sort of folding table modification .... maybe like Norm's.)

Although the bottom benches are wider for the 54" bed, Scamp is/was still using the smaller top side cabinets over the table and there is a significant
amount of space between those side cabinets and the sink/stove cabinet and the narrower 12" cabinet by the door. (I may build some sort of shelves into those spaces for wallets, watches, keys, cell phones, etc.)

IMHO/YMMV - The doors on the 12" cabinet are each about 4" too short. There is significant space at the top of each cabinet that is hard to utilize.

When I talked to Wayne about our surprise at such a short table, I got the same explanation/excuse that Tom got. I gave Scamp 3 different table designs that would provide a slightly larger table and still have the needed strength and stability.

Personally, I would not want a very large (i.e. 52") table. With the 32" table, there are two available 20" wide seats on either side of the end of the table.

Most of the time, it will just be my wife and I in the trailer. In cases of meals for 4 or for evening card/board games, I would probably like a 36" table (with corner cuts for easier entry/egress) and an attachable 16" extension board. (Just my current thought and probably worth about what you paid for it. ;) Another YMMV.)

If the bed is down, we have indoor meals by sitting on the bench seat and putting our food/drink on a small/lightweight folding table that we got from Wal-Mart. (I think something similar is available from Camping World.)

We like the 54" bed. :) (We sleep on a king size bed at home.) Although our Scamp13 has all of the weight that we can tow with our present tow vehicle, I too hope they provide the option of a 54" bed in the Scamp16_std trailers in the very near future.

Since we didn't get A/C, I've now converted all of the interior bulbs to LED in order to keep heat out of the trailer and to conserve battery power when dry camping for a week. (I did ask Scamp to install LED lighting when I ordered the trailer, but Scamp declined ... even at additional cost.)

I will attach some small interior pictures of the Scamp13 + 54" bed.

Ray

Jon in AZ 07-08-2014 12:14 PM

It looks better than I thought it would… I notice the longer benches hang out past the raised portion of the floor (as you would expect). I'd be curious how they detailed that in… Does it seem well-finished to you?

Still think this whole concept makes more sense in the 16' model. But it wouldn't work in the side dinette version (layout #6), which seems to be their best seller in the 16' line. Personally, I think layout #4 with a big bed, bunks in the front, and a small bathroom on the side would be just about perfect!

Choices are good.

TomK 07-08-2014 01:27 PM

Ray, so you were the one who alerted me of the short table. Sorry I couldn't remember who posted that originally. I'm really glad you weighed back in. As far as the bed goes; we think ours will stay a bed for the most part. We'll be using it with a mattress topper, and it will be cumbersome to set-up and take down every day. We'll try out the short table a time or two in the beginning, just to see how it works, but if we think we need a bigger one, it will be modded.

We didn't notice the shorter standard rear overhead cabinets. Your added shelf idea is a good one. I want to mount a TV on the closet using a swinging, telescoping type mount to watch in bed, or swing around toward the front to watch from the couch. That gap might help with that.

There was some earlier discussion about the width of the closet. You cleared that up. Twelve inches isn't as narrow as I thought. Curious why they put two doors on it, instead of one larger door? It would seem more accessible and versatile with a bigger door. Might look at that for a future mod.

Finally, I want to thank you for the pictures! We went up there last January to see them and forgot all the little details your pictures showed. Ours is configured very close to yours. Linoleum, splash guard for the sink, rear side cabinets, blue(?) cushions, larger bed, etc. We added A/C when our daughter and SIL moved to FL and gave us all the excuse we needed to start snow birding. We'll be looking at your pictures until we pick ours up on 4 August. Can't wait!

Tom

rdickens 07-08-2014 01:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I agree with you, Jon. :)

If we could handle the additional tow weight, I think that a Scamp16_std layout4 with 54" bed and side bathroom would be an awfully nice trailer for us as well. ...... Maybe someday?

The finish seems pretty OK to me. (I don't get down there on the floor and crawl around much. ;) )

When we are camping, we usually use those little overhang spaces on each side to keep our shoes tucked into at night and out of the way.

Just for more clarity, I'll attach a couple of additional small pix.

Ray

rdickens 07-08-2014 02:26 PM

We asked about the 2 shorter doors on that 12" cabinet too, Tom.

When we placed our order, we asked why we couldn't have a single taller door.

The answer we got was that the 12" cabinet was "structural", needed middle shelf/shelves for strength, and couldn't have a single door (maybe due to concern about flexing and cracking at the corners?)

Still, I believe that there are several inches of wasted space below the bottom shelf (the top of the wheel is roughly at the same height as the inside top of the rear bench) and that there shouldn't be much of a loss in strength by making each of the two doors a few inches taller?

If flexing/cracking is/was the concern, I think that you could make the corners just slightly rounded (less prone to cracking that way) and then put some extra fiberglass cloth/epoxy on the inside edges if the door openings. (Of course, I suppose that I could be wrong. :confused: )

Ray

Timber Wolf 07-08-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdickens (Post 468991)
WheI also mentioned that the smaller table made the trailer feel more "open" and spacious. Ray


Hmmm, "open & spacious" used to describe a 13' Scamp? Isn't that streaching it a bit?:D

TomK 07-08-2014 03:17 PM

Ray, you're just a wealth of information. You answered all of my questions and concerns for the moment. I'll have to look at that double door closet once we have it and spend some time with it. I'm thinking it could be reinforced for a larger single door too. Of course they all might have to be changed to match. I believe our fake woodwork is a little bit darker than yours. They changed to cherry color about the time we were up there. Your's may be cherry. I'm on a laptop with "Retina Display" but my eyes are analog.

Once again thank you for posting more pictures. Now we have something to look at just like ours. This reminds me of studying the Sears Christmas Catalog as a kid. Anticipation......

Tom

rdickens 07-08-2014 03:35 PM

You are probably right, Tim. ;)

However, I can tell you that my brother-in-law has a Scamp16_std SD (layout6?) and he recently sat in our trailer and used the word "open". :omy

He said that his trailer seemed more like a long hallway in comparison and that ours seemed like a more "open" room. (He may have been being kind?)

Still ..... "spacious" applied to a Scamp13 is probably a stretch! :loltu

I second Jon's notion that a Scamp16_std layout4 might have been our 1st choice .... if it had a 54" bed and our current TV wasn't limited to 1500 lbs tow weight.

We are thinking of upgrading one of our vehicles to the able to pull up to 3500 lbs and a tongue weight of 350 (i.e like a 2014 Ford Escape Ecoboost 2.0L FWD - 240hp & 270 ft/lbs of torque).

However, that may be a little bit farther in the future ..... hopefully when Scamp provides a 54" bed in the Scamp16 layout4. ;)

For now, although we may want to do a few mods, we are really pretty happy with our little Scamp13. :)

Safe and happy travels to everyone!

Ray

Jon in AZ 07-08-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdickens (Post 469015)
The answer we got was that the 12" cabinet was "structural", needed middle shelf/shelves for strength, and couldn't have a single door

So does it have a permanent shelf/divider between the upper and lower cabinet? I wish they would do the standard layout that way, with a divider and two doors. As it is, the lower part of the closet is a black hole that swallows small items...

honda03842 07-08-2014 07:38 PM

Ray, I never mention it because we've only used it once, but we carry a spare leg for our 'unfolded' table to sit 4 people.

As to cabinet structure, I think we've cut into virtually every piece of fiberglass in our trailer except exterior walls and the bathroom. I have not noticed a single structural weakness as a result, and we do a lot of rough roads.

On our floor to ceiling cabinet, we opened it up and added another door. On our stove side cabinet we made a storage space below the fridge.

Another way to take advantage of 'black holes' is to add pantry like pull outs. We also have thin shelves for frying pans, just the handle end is visible.

I know I have a Scamp 16 but many of the fiberglass pieces fit both and I have made similar mods to my son's Scamp 13.

TomK 07-08-2014 08:02 PM

Norm, looking forward to meeting you and Ginny next winter in FL. Many of your mods sound so useful. Will you be attending the Sebring Scamp Camp?

Tom

rdickens 07-09-2014 09:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Jon -
Yes. They have solid shelves near the bottom of each compartment that are covered with what appears to be gray carpet. It looks like the top of the bottom door is about 12" high and the bottom of the upper cabinet shelf is about 21". Lots of space at the top of each cabinet that will be hard to use.
I will attach a picture.

Norm -
Thanks from me too for all of the insights you have provided recently. I'm also hoping to meet you at some future rally or if/when you might be passing through the KC Metro area!

Like the table size and the LED lights, I got explanations/excuses from Scamp regarding the doors on the 12" cabinet. I'm not sure that I believe their rationale ... just figured that they don't want to do what I am asking about.

That said, I still believe/hope that the Scamp13 was a good value considering features-versus-money-spent and it was the only trailer that I found whose specs fit within my tow vehicle manufacturer's weight limit. (I do know that I could probably tow more weight than that, but my wife loves that CRV and it has been her reliable everyday driver for several years. If we damaged it by working it too hard, I would be in the dog house ... big time. ;) )

I've been all over the country in a StarCraft Starmaster21 pop-up, but I am a newbie/rookie with FGRV trailers. So far, I have been nervous about cutting
holes into a nice shiny new trailer until I am absolutely sure that it is a mod that we really need to have and I am pretty sure that I know what I am doing. ;)

Tom -
I had heard that some National Parks had gotten strict on gray water drainage (not sure if that is 100% true) and so I went ahead got the huge 27gal gray water tank. I'd seen the stinky-slinky tube carriers that had become yellowish from the sun's UV rays and I was able to get Scamp to not mount the stinky-slinky tube carrier to the front of my Scamp. Since I will only have sink gray water, I picked up an adapter from Wal-Mart to adapt the large stinky-slinky outlet down to a traditional garden hose size. Now I have no need for the stinky-slinky or its carrier. Just a thought ......

Regards to all,

Ray

TomK 07-09-2014 10:06 AM

Tom -
I had heard that some National Parks had gotten strict on gray water drainage (not sure if that is 100% true) and so I went ahead got the huge 27gal gray water tank. I'd seen the stinky-slinky tube carriers that had become yellowish from the sun's UV rays and I was able to get Scamp to not mount the stinky-slinky tube carrier to the front of my Scamp. Since I will only have sink gray water, I picked up an adapter from Wal-Mart to adapt the large stinky-slinky outlet down to a traditional garden hose size. Now I have no need for the stinky-slinky or its carrier. Just a thought ......

Regards to all,

Ray[/QUOTE]

Ray, I could have written that paragraph you just posted. I did the exact same thing for the same reasons! I did get the gray water tank, because I heard the same rumor. I also told them to include the slinky and carrier tube, but just put it inside so I could mount it somewhere else, if at all. I thought it might make a fishing rod holder, but it's pretty short. I bought the garden hose adapter from Amazon.

Thanks for clearing up that closet shelf configuration too. When my wife and I checked them out, my mind was reeling with questions and trying to take it all in. Since then I've slept and forgot much of what we saw. Your posts are coming at a great time for us!

Tom

Jon in AZ 07-09-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdickens (Post 469173)
I'd seen the stinky-slinky tube carriers that had become yellowish from the sun's UV rays and I was able to get Scamp to not mount the stinky-slinky tube carrier to the front of my Scamp.

Smart move. I really hate the way those tubes look! If you ever decide in the future you need to carry the stinky-slinky, I've seen several other ways to mount a carrier on this site that are far more satisfactory.

I have also heard what you heard about some parks and grey water. It's my understanding that as long as it's fully enclosed, you're good. So a garden hose attached to a portable grey water tank or even to a 5-gallon bucket with a lid and a fitting should suffice (open bucket is a no-no). In your case, since you have the on-board grey-water tank, the hose is just to do the dump. (BTW - I had wondered why I was seeing some 13' Scamps without a bathroom that had the hose tube on the front. Now I know.)

As to modifying the cabinet, I'm with you about not doing anything in a hurry to a brand-new unit! If it's anything like the standard-size closet, if you feel around on the inside face of the cabinet, you may find some glassed-in reinforcement (thick spots in the fiberglass). If you eventually decide to open it up more, as long as you stay away from the stiffeners and away from the corners (which give it vertical rigidity), you should be good to make the doors larger.

TomK 07-09-2014 10:59 AM

When cutting holes, or openings in fiberglass, metal, or similar materials, it''s best to leave the corners rounded or radiused whenever possible. It spreads the stress over a wider area. A sharp corner concentrates the stresses at that one point, and it's more likely to crack. Many drill the corners and connect them with a saw. The drilled hole provides that radius.

That said, it will be a while before I start cutting holes in our camper. That will reduce the stresses in our marriage.

Tom

Timber Wolf 07-09-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdickens (Post 469039)
I second Jon's notion that a Scamp16_std layout4 might have been our 1st choice .... if it had a 54" bed

I have a layout 4 and kind of lust after a layout 6. The grass is always greener I guess.:reye2 But then as pointed out elsewhere you can not really fit the bigger 54" bed in a layout 6 with the dinette. Maybe they can make a layout 6 17?:loltu

MarkyVasquez 07-09-2014 03:50 PM

Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size
 
Doesn't the 16' deluxe have a 54" bed or is it only the 13' deluxe that has the 54" bed. The plan B deluxe has a dinette. If it does have a 54" bed then it can be done in fiberglass.


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

EllPea in CA 09-03-2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honda03842 (Post 468462)

It's funny, we're home now sleeping in our Queen sized bed. We wake sometime sadly feeling as though we've slept alone, yearning for the closeness of our 44 inch Scamp bed.

When DH and I married, I had a double bed and he had a queen. He was certain that the queen was the thing, so mine went into the guest room. A few years later we gave our bed to company and slept in the double. He later remarked that the double was "more fun." I agree!

When we've slept in his van the bed is even smaller than a double and there is even more snuggle time.

I think snuggling is chicken soup for the soul.

honda03842 09-04-2015 05:25 AM

We had company, 6 family members, for a long weekend and Ginny and I moved out to the Scamp and our 44 inch bed for 3 nights of comfort.

There is magic sleeping in the front yard in the Scamp, definitely it's the not the location. There is something about sleeping in the Scamp that provides our most restful nights.

It may hark back to when you were a baby, the hearing of the mother's heart beat, the warmth of her body, the sound of her breathing, the security of her presence. Yes it is snuggling.

Yes your bodies are in contact, yes it requires some measure of compromise. No, We're not sleeping on a foot thick, $500 mattress. Yes we occasionally wake each other during the night. All I know is it works for us.

Snuggling and cuddling, sharing a tight space, 16 again. In life as we age it's fun to find the magic of youth.

I recently read an article where they wrote of couple of advantages of marrying young. You probably married poor and you grew up together. You were just happy to be together, really the reason you married. Ginny and I can afford most levels of comfort, but the reality is our little space in the Scamp is our favorite place.

We're reaching the end of our stay in our beach cottage, less than 30 days to go. It was our favorite home, it had the smallest lot, the smallest house, the least expensive, yet we had a lot of fun here.

Sometimes the bigness of the stuff we surround ourselves with masks what life is really about.

Kardon 10-03-2015 01:17 PM

Just wanted to say, some of us are happy with the smaller bed and the bath. At home my 6'2" husband and I sleep on a double bed (and we have shared a twin bed-cozy-) and we love snuggling up together. We are not big people and have always found the Scamp bed adequate and would rather 'waste' the 30% on the toilet and shower. Especially the shower as I never feel the campground ones are really clean.

twinpop 01-29-2020 05:10 PM

What to do with that "filler" piece of the table?
 
Just recently acquired a used 2018 13' Scamp with the big bed and found the table configuration puzzling, but thanks to this thread, it now makes sense (kind of). But now I have a few questions...


1) Where is the best place to store that "extra" piece of the bed platform when the bed is in the dining configuration? Under one of the seat cushions?



2) When we drove the trailer home with the table down the "extra" piece jostled out of the bed and ended up bouncing around on the floor. How do people keep that extra piece in place while towing?



3) That extra piece is made of really heavy pressed wood (or something like that) - has anyone found a lighter but equally strong material to use? I'm wondering if hardwood slats might be both easier to store and lighter in weight?


Thanks for any insights!
Paul

Jon in AZ 01-31-2020 06:56 AM

If it were me I’d convert the whole thing to a U-shaped dinette. 26-27” deep is a nice size for the center bridge cushion (which Scamp can make for you in matching fabric). That gives you a one-person napping spot across the back while the table is set up. A piece of plywood makes the bridge platform. A couple of small screws into the fiberglass benches will keep it from shifting.

For the now smaller table in front, bond Formica of your choice to another piece of plywood, finish the plywood, or cut down the old table. There are a number of nice pedestal mounting options, recessed or surface mount. If you recess, seal the cut in the floor with fiberglass resin and caulk from below.

k0wtz 02-09-2020 10:30 AM

42in bed
 
I think our 13f scamp has the standard 42in bed. we can sleep in it just fine yes its sort of close but it works for us.

we leave our bed up all day as we spend very little day time in it. The nose we put a small futon for setting and eating breakfast.

I guess we just have to get used to what we have! LOL

bob

starling 02-23-2020 02:12 AM

My first thought when I saw the larger 54" inch bed with the smaller 32" table top was to remove the hardware from the 32" table top and install it on the 22" filler. Then use the 32" table top as the support for a permanent "single" bed and make a dinette table using the remaining 22"filler. The only modification that would need to be made would be installing a pedestal "base" for the NEW table in the floor. This set up would make a nice U-shaped dinette that could be left up permanently AND you could still have a permanent twin sized bed along the back wall.

Jon in AZ 02-23-2020 08:58 AM

22” is a bit narrow for sleeping if you used the small piece as the seat, and 22" is pretty small for dining if you use it as the table. I’d want about half and half myself. The $64K question is whether Scamp would supply different-sized pieces if you asked (minus the hardware, as you say).

If not, you can do what you want yourself with a piece of good plywood. Add laminate in whatever cool color you want on the table part (trim with aluminum edging for a retro look) and paint or stain the bridge section as desired. Save a little weight in the bargain.

The cushions are the part you want Scamp to make so they'll all match. If it’s a retrofit, you can order just the cover(s), saving on shipping, and source foam locally.

k0wtz 02-23-2020 09:32 AM

bed size
 
Our bed width is 44in yes its doable even though we have a king sized bed at home.

I took out the dinette on the other end and put a small futon in its place. This way we can stretch out legs out.

By the way a 13f is not 13 its 10ft not much space for doing much. We spend most of our time outside for the most part! Its rather hard to have everything as we have it at home in a 10f space!



bob

starling 02-23-2020 05:32 PM

I was thinking 32" (size of dining table) to sleep on and 22" (size of filler) to use as dining table. All you would need is two 22" outdoor chair cushions (purchase at Target/Walmart). And while you are at Target/Walmart buy a 20"w x30"l x 28" h folding table for $20 and use it as your "table" (could be used outside too). A standard twin mattress is 36" wide so it is very close to a standard twin mattress. You wouldn't need to do any "mods", other than get a nice slab of foam and cut it to the correct size/shape for a permanent bed. The extra 22" filler piece could be stored for when you might want to use bed for two people.

Jon in AZ 02-23-2020 06:04 PM

Obviously you can do whatever’s comfortable for you, but I think a 22” table with a 32” deep seat would be rather awkward.

A residential twin is 38” wide, but most RV twins are 26-30” wide. Even 30” is somewhat wide to double as a seat unless you have extra pillows or an extra thick backrest.

You could experiment with some pieces of cardboard to help visualize what it would look like.

shrimpscampi 03-03-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomK (Post 467832)
A month or two ago I read a thread that discussed the smaller dinette table size you will get when you order the wider 54" full size bed. I discussed this with David in the production side of the house at Scamp yesterday.

My intention was to order a bigger table. He explained why they do it the way they do, and it made sense to me. YMMV The standard bed is 44" wide, and the table is too. With the wider 54" bed, they shorten the table to 32" and furnish a 20" filler board to support the bed. The reason given was as follows. A 54" table would block access to the dining area. You couldn't have a 44" table and a 10" filler because the filler wouldn't stay put due to the way the benches are angled out for access, and a 10" filler board would be too weak to support the bed. It would break if someone sat or laid on it.

We plan to keep it made up as a bed anyway, but I like to keep my options open. You never know. If I find the 32" table too short, there are many good ideas for mods to fix that.

Curious to know what they do in the Deluxe models? Ours is Std. Anyone?

Tom

After reading your post, I was just wondering whether anyone with the 13 big (54 inch) bed puts the dinette down and uses that area only for the bed (no extender board) and the remaining part of the benches for seating? You could leave the cushions in place and fill in the middle with foam to form the bed. A TV tray in the middle of the remaining area could make the new dinette. Curious if anyone has done this and, if so, how it works.

I will be using my trailer as a solo camper and it would be nice to have a permanent bed and a permanent dinette.

starling 03-05-2020 06:20 PM

I saw a picture of someone's setup just like you suggested....with a TV tray. I am planning on this setup too, though I am going to use a more stable table, instead of a TV tray. They sell it at Walmart/Target. I am going to buy a foam pad and cut it 32" wide.

k0wtz 03-06-2020 10:38 AM

we leave
 
we leave our bed up all the time. took the dinette down and put a small futon there. it makes it nice for evenings usually reading no tv!

we just use the plate holders for when we eat in usually breakfast.

bob

Hommy Joy 09-24-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomK (Post 469007)
Ray, so you were the one who alerted me of the short table. Sorry I couldn't remember who posted that originally. I'm really glad you weighed back in. As far as the bed goes; we think ours will stay a bed for the most part. We'll be using it with a mattress topper, and it will be cumbersome to set-up and take down every day. We'll try out the short table a time or two in the beginning, just to see how it works, but if we think we need a bigger one, it will be modded.

We didn't notice the shorter standard rear overhead cabinets. Your added shelf idea is a good one. I want to mount a TV on the closet using a swinging, telescoping type mount to watch in bed, or swing around toward the front to watch from the couch. That gap might help with that.

There was some earlier discussion about the width of the closet. You cleared that up. Twelve inches isn't as narrow as I thought. Curious why they put two doors on it, instead of one larger door? It would seem more accessible and versatile with a bigger door. Might look at that for a future mod.

Finally, I want to thank you for the pictures! We went up there last January to see them and forgot all the little details your pictures showed. Ours is configured very close to yours. Linoleum, splash guard for the sink, rear side cabinets, blue(?) cushions, larger bed, etc. We added A/C when our daughter and SIL moved to FL and gave us all the excuse we needed to start snow birding. We'll be looking at your pictures until we pick ours up on 4 August. Can't wait!

Tom

Hello there. This is my first post at this site, because there is something I actually know a little something about! When we recently placed an order for a 13' standard Scamp our salesman said they could modify the two little cupboards (near the door) into one large cupboard with a very large door (I have seen pictures of modifications for this online), for $450, but it was not possible to install at time of original build. We would need to make an appointment with the service department and may not be able to have it done at the same time as pick-up. Strange but true. It seems that Scamp would build them all with a large cupboard, standard, as it would sell more people on being able to utilize the 13' in many practical ways. Anyhow, it is not a structural issue. Thank you all for your posts!! This has been such a great way for me to learn about my little dream Scamper.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.