Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   towing with Subaru Outback (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/towing-with-subaru-outback-67442.html)

Peter B 12-05-2014 09:20 PM

towing with Subaru Outback

I was just wondering if anyone out there has towed a 17' Escape with plan "A", that is without the bathroom, with a 2012 Subaru Outback with the V6 3.6L engine? I have a class 3 hitch.

Glenn Baglo 12-05-2014 09:36 PM

And lived to tell about it?

OneOleMan 12-05-2014 09:38 PM

Peter B, welcome to the forum.

I had a similar question a few months back about the 15A only I had the 2.5 in my Outback. Either way the tongue weight of the 17A will be too much. According to the FAQ on the Escape site, “17′ Escape, Plan A with a dry weight of 1,900lbs will travel fully loaded at about 2,900lbs”. That said you would be well over the 200lb max for the Outback.

The solution for me was to trade my Outback for a good used TV capable of safely towing my soon to arrive 17B.

Peter B 12-06-2014 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=OneOleMan;495017]Peter B, welcome to the forum.

I had a similar question a few months back about the 15A only I had the 2.5 in my Outback. Either way the tongue weight of the 17A will be too much. According to the FAQ on the Escape site, “17′ Escape, Plan A with a dry weight of 1,900lbs will travel fully loaded at about 2,900lbs”. That said you would be well over the 200lb max for the Outback.

The solution for me was to trade my Outback for a good used TV capable of safely towing my soon to arrive 17B.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info Pat. I guess I'll have to find a lighter Escape trailer.

Glenn Baglo 12-06-2014 11:41 AM

The Escape 15A and 15B have a "dry hitch weight" of 190 lbs.
After you fill the propane tank, you will be over the Subaru 200 lb.hitch limit.
There were a few 13' made. Don't know the hitch weight.
Really, you need to upgrade the tow vehicle capability. You're pretty much looking at a Honda Pilot or a Toyota Highlander ( two popular SUVs ).

Dbybe 12-06-2014 11:53 AM

Towing with Subaru

We have the 2.5 engine in a 2011 Outback and have been researching towing. The 6 cylinder has the same tongue weight limit of 200 and a slightly higher maximum towing weight limit than our 2700. The problem for us is that on the 2.5, when on long climbs in hot weather, the manufacturer cuts the maximum tow weight in half to 1350. (We live in Sacramento where it is 100 + on many summer days.) It is pretty tough to find a trailer with a low enough dry weight to met this criteria for a maximum tow weight. If you start at a dry weight of about 900 lbs, like some of the teardrops, the Meercat, or perhaps a light Compact Jr. you might make it if you are very careful packing your added gear. Really, they are just not enough car to be towing most trailers. We have pretty much given up for now as we love the Subaru too much to trade it in, and I cannot talk my wife into giving up her Mini Cooper.

MC1 12-06-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbybe (Post 495080)
We have the 2.5 engine in a 2011 Outback and have been researching towing. We have pretty much given up for now as we love the Subaru too much to trade it in, and I cannot talk my wife into giving up her Mini Cooper.

Did you say you owned a Mini Cooper...B) Hummmmmm.....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mini+...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Dudley 12-06-2014 12:25 PM

We have a 2003 outback with the 2.5l 5 speed and used it to tow our Ventura which was about 1800lbs. It was right at the max and it was not the weight but the frontal area that was the killer. Bought a an older F150 to tow the Casita 17SD. The tongue weight is just much for the outback.

jfocallag 12-06-2014 12:29 PM

I have a 4 cylinder manual transmission 2009 subaru forester. I tow a teardrop with a loaded weight of 1600 pounds. I have no problem towing even over the Oregon passes. I get 22-25 MPG on the flat and drops to about 17 on the passes. I know several people who use either an outback or forester to tow their teardrops.

I am considering buying a fiberglass trailer in the future. When I do, I will definitely upgrade my tow vehicle. I would not be comfortable towing any of the trailers with my subaru except possibly the 13' without bathrooms. If I do buy a new trailer, it will definitely have to have a bathroom.

Dbybe 12-06-2014 02:19 PM

Transmission

I probably would not have any qualms about towing a bit heavier trailer than the 1350 limit for hot weather if I had a manual transmission, vs. the CVT that I have now. I have checked around and could not find anyone, including dealer, that would install a supplemental cooler on the transmission. It would be a big ticket item if I fried that baby.

Borrego Dave 12-06-2014 02:24 PM

[ We have pretty much given up for now as we love the Subaru too much to trade it in, and I cannot talk my wife into giving up her Mini Cooper.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you're going to be a 3 car family :)

OneOleMan 12-06-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbybe (Post 495080)
We have pretty much given up for now as we love the Subaru too much to trade it in, and I cannot talk my wife into giving up her Mini Cooper.

I felt the same way 'till I realized I wanted "Escaping Reality" more than I loved my Outback.:(

Peter B 12-06-2014 03:33 PM

We presently tow a 2010 trillium Outback 13 ft. with absolutely no problems. I don't know what the hitch weight is but I have weighed it full and it was 1750 lbs. and the car and trailer were almost level so I didn't think the tongue was too heavy. We have travelled some high elevations during hot weather and never had any problems. I too have thought about getting a different tow vehicle like the Highlander or Pilot but we like our Subaru too much at the moment.

jfocallag 12-06-2014 03:38 PM

Does your trillium have a bathroom?

Peter B 12-06-2014 03:41 PM

No, it doesn't have a bathroom. Front gaucho, rear dinette/bed. We do have a porta-potti though.

jfocallag 12-06-2014 03:42 PM

Thanks

Donna D. 12-06-2014 04:20 PM

As far as I know, you only live once. When you can no longer GO, will you regret hanging on to a tow vehicle or will you regret not GOING when you could?

Make memories!

Peter B 12-06-2014 04:25 PM

That is so, so true! Got to have a good talk to the DW about that!

Dbybe 12-06-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter B (Post 495103)
We presently tow a 2010 trillium Outback 13 ft. with absolutely no problems. I don't know what the hitch weight is but I have weighed it full and it was 1750 lbs. and the car and trailer were almost level so I didn't think the tongue was too heavy. We have travelled some high elevations during hot weather and never had any problems. I too have thought about getting a different tow vehicle like the Highlander or Pilot but we like our Subaru too much at the moment.

What year is the Outback and what engine and transmission do you have in the vehicle?

Thanks.

Dbybe 12-06-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna D. (Post 495107)
As far as I know, you only live once. When you can no longer GO, will you regret hanging on to a tow vehicle or will you regret not GOING when you could?

Make memories!

At this point we go, go, go. We just do not go with a fiberglass egg. I over analyze everything anyway. Before retirement I was a practicing Architect so it is a curse.