Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Modifications, Alterations and Updates (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Karin's Campster Renovation (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/karins-campster-renovation-74938.html)

Dave Fish 03-04-2020 11:09 PM

Do you have a serial number on a plate next to the door? That's where mine is and since my frame was replaced, there is not one on it that I have ever found.

Just curios.

k corbin 03-05-2020 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdobqb (Post 770097)
Nice jig! I was going to stamp my frame this spring and will borrow your design if I may. :)

Permission granted :) that is what it is there for. It is a task that quite a few people have a need to do. And now they don't have to worry about smashing their fingers with the hammer :D

k corbin 03-05-2020 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Fish (Post 770101)
Do you have a serial number on a plate next to the door? That's where mine is and since my frame was replaced, there is not one on it that I have ever found.

Just curios.

Interestingly enough at some point in time my serial number became the VIN number on the title. When I changed the title over to WA state the licensing agent was perplexed by the odd number. But I brought that metal plate along with me so they just shrugged with that "whatever" look on their face.

I have no idea if the original frame was ever stamped. The sruface metal on the tongue had flaked off in layers of rust attached to the last paint job on it.

I removed that metal plate that was by the door when I painted the trailer exterior and it is in such poor condition with a lot of aluminum corrosion that all the info on can't be read. So I keep it inside instead of putting it back outside. If I get bugged about it by a cop they will understand why it not outside when I show it to them.

I am the stamping the VIN on the frame because if I ever do change my domicile to another state and they insist on seeing the stamped VIN number they will have one to find. Simple enough to stamp it in. It is just there to prevent issues with an officer who feels like making issues of such things. Or even to soothe a nervous future buyer should I ever decide to sell it. Not a big deal, just one of a great many small tasks to get done. That task list will continue to get longer as I think of more things while I am finishing the renovation. It is the hydra list, cut one off and two more show up.

bobdobqb 03-05-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k corbin (Post 770111)
That task list will continue to get longer as I think of more things while I am finishing the renovation. It is the hydra list, cut one off and two more show up.

I knew it wasn't just me :) The other day as I was working on my side window I started to hum the Fixx classic "One Thing Leads to Another" as I realized I should look at replacing the broken/loose rivets that fasten the closet to the shell while I still had the window out... And so it goes...

k corbin 03-25-2020 06:31 PM

cabinet door design

2 Attachment(s)
Now that the weather is warming up and my aluminum cabinet framing is complete it was time to get the cabinet door designs finalized.
Attachment 133633
I am using a mesh product for the panels in the doors. Shown in the photo above but not rendered in the design image below.
Attachment 133634
The design image captured from my 3D CAD model for the doors on the passenger side of my Campster. My wood framing is going to be Poplar, I am making my own pulls that fit flush to the front of the doors out of 1/16 thick aluminum extrusion. My material cost for the pulls was less that 50 cents each, can't be that price for contemporary style, cabinet hardware that is integrated into the design of the cabinet. I am making my own because I never did see any for sale that I liked that were affordable.

I have the tools and the time. ....Lots of time, I am in Seattle on a "STAY AT HOME" state wide command due to the Covid 19 situation. At least the hardware store and lumber yard are open and designated as being "essential services". Essential for my sanity when I can't go much of anywhere, although many would not consider doing a total renovation job as something sane. The weather is becoming a little drier, also important to my sanity after an extremely wet Seattle fall and winter.

ReneeN 03-30-2020 01:49 PM

Mesh door design

Looking forward To seeing your door design. I am planning similar on my boler. I have the original fiberglass cabinet, but it is just a skeleton from all the previous mods. I have reframed the front of the cabinet, and have a nice 36x36 piece of SS mesh I found on the discount rack of a little hardware store.
I am all about ventilation in my little camper. It was filled with carpet inside big closed cabinets, on the walls and floor. After two months of scraping and mold mitigation, it will not have any soft surfaces or closed doors when finished.

I have been immensely enjoying your refurb. Well done.

Renee From Port Orchard