Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Modifications, Alterations and Updates (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Ventura reno (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/ventura-reno-75422.html)

Patricia D. 06-28-2016 08:52 PM

Ventura reno

3 Attachment(s)
I have done a lengthy introduction, asked numerous questions and received lots of valuable feedback from generous members but several members have asked for pictures of my redo of a 1975 Ventura trailer so I am starting a thread on which I can give probably irregular updates of my progress.
I have had the trailer for about 3 weeks, I think, and have been working on it for about 2 weeks for a few hours at a time. I am proceeding slowly but most of my waking hours are consumed with everything trailer- planning, researching, looking for materials, ideas, daydreaming about trips , you get the idea.
For me the whole process is fun and fascinating and not to be rushed, or at least until my feet begin to get itchy.

The first pictures are of the trailer as it was as new to me. Then the progress over the next days of removing the contents. The last 4 were taken today, I have 2 or 3 hours to put in removing staples, bits of insulation, slivers of subfloor etc but basically I am now ready to begin repairing holes, rebuilding the framework that was removed because it had rotted, laying down a clean new subfloor, insulating and on and on.

But before I get to far on the the inside I need to make it watertight by doing the windows and sealing around the middle under the band. I just need a week or so without rain.

Patricia D. 06-28-2016 09:00 PM

Progress over several days

4 Attachment(s)
The last pic shows some of the damage to the framework- all the corner framing was black and falling apart.

Patricia D. 06-28-2016 09:08 PM

Today

Basically finished the deconstruction. included a pic of my work site. I have save any of the old fittings that may serve as templates or that I can reuse.

Patricia D. 06-28-2016 09:16 PM

Oops,

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry the pics wer not finished loading.

Patricia D. 07-02-2016 12:05 PM

beginning fiberglass patching

2 Attachment(s)
I am beginning to prepare and patch the fiberglass holes etc. I am stumped by holes like this that have a reason to be there but may let water in. These are the wires that run from the front of the trailer to the hitch.

Patricia D. 07-10-2016 04:00 PM

What have I done?

What have I done? is the sentiment of the day.
I have not posted for a while but I have been plugging along with removing the door and frame and all the windows along with many other small jobs. I am fiberglassing holes and cracks etc. and I have to say it is getting really old. I can only do an hour or so a day using the resin because I am quite sensitive to chemicals so it has been about 5 days so far with lots left to do, including the belly band.
Having done many home renovations, I know that this happens at some point in every project but the slow progress of the rebuild is becoming discouraging and the amount of work yet to be done feels overwhelming.
Maybe it is time for a break or a change of focus. Maybe I will start making the new door or polish up the window frames. :reye2

TheWanderers 07-11-2016 04:10 PM

Great Work!

Hi Patricia, thanks for posting your pics and progress. It is overwhelming but you are doing a great job. I can related to your burnout. Hope you take a nice break and get back to it when it feels good.

Laura (not Bill)

Patricia D. 07-12-2016 05:16 AM

Thanks Laura.
I was reminded yesterday that daily to do lists are the secret, as long as they are realistic. Finished everything on my list yesterday and am now ready to start putting the new wood floor down. :)

Sheepdog 07-12-2016 09:14 AM

i know the feeling... I started my project off thinking "Ill have it done in 2-3weeks tops!" 3 months later im still working at it!

Patricia D. 07-12-2016 12:25 PM

So true

I started off thinking that "It is a small trailer, how hard can it be?"
It is not necessarily hard work per se (except for removing the floor) but much more fiddly than in a house where a wall can be taken down or put up in short order and you can see progress.
For myself, I actually attribute it in part to all the great advice on the forums. After learning the best ways to do the work from those who have experience and much more skill than I do, the perfectionist in me will not let me do a quick and dirty job.
Where are you at now? Please tell me that you starting to put the interior back in by now, just to give me hope!

shaggydoink 07-18-2016 07:14 AM

Wow, you've definitely got a project on your hands!! You've made great progress thus far, I'm looking forward to following along! :thumb

Jonathan

Patricia D. 07-18-2016 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally finished the fiberglass repairs inside and put the new plywood floor in the first section of the trailer (see pic)
The fg floor had dips in it so I put boards underneath held up by jacks to gently push the floor up and make sure that the shell made contact with the plywood so the resin that I spread on the fg could adhere the two together. Also put rocks on the top to add weight for the same reason. It will hopefully be firm with limited bounce.
The edges of the plywood and the whole area by the door where treated with resin to increase water resistance.
Also experimented with removing paint from the top half of the trailer, using a "gentle" paint remover and found that patching had been done with filler by a PO so it looks like the whole trailer will have to be painted.
As well, I began grinding the belly band area with a flapper disk in preparation for doing fg repairs on the outside (and inside again at the belly area).
Over the last few days I have been polishing the window frames and door frame with a product called Never Dull. It is doing a fairly good job of removing the residue from the butyl tape and shining up the aluminum. There is some pitting but basically the frames are in surprisingly good shape. I do not have the tools to polish and buff the frames to make them perfect but I am happy with the result.
I have ordered replacement hardware for the jalousie windows (Side Mount Torque Operators) online from Vintage Campers that should replace the worn out opening mechanisms. It was interesting to take one of the windows apart to see how they actually work but I think I can do the replacements without dismantling the windows.
I have actually purchased materials online from about 6 different businesses in the US so will be going down to Grand Forks next week and camping (in the Eurovan not the trailer) so I will be able to bring everything back under the healthy 48 hour exception.
Lots going on but nothing dramatic to show for my time yet. As soon as I get the rest of the floor down, I can start working on restoring the curve to the ceiling by adding metal supports to the roof framing and replacing the parts of the wall framing that I removed because it had rotted. Then I can move onto insulation and installing the ceiling and the interior walls. That will feel like a major milestone.

Cheyanna83 07-20-2016 01:48 PM

Been there gutting mine it took forever heck I'm still working on mine lol

I do like your door lol (that's not a original door but nice!) I'm trying to find a replcment or figure how tonstop bloody window leaking on mine gah

Patricia D. 07-20-2016 03:26 PM

Yes the door looks good from a distance but it is too thick and does not close properly, not watertight, I am sure. I do like the screen door though, it is cute and I want to keep it if possible.

Cheyanna83 07-20-2016 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aw I see most likely leeky :(.I did the redneck .99 screen for mine ( this was taken before I painted camper and this gives a quick glace at door I'll get better soon

Patricia D. 07-23-2017 11:05 PM

Momentous day!

2 Attachment(s)
Finally, after just over a year of owning my trailer, I actually took it out on the road. Okay, it was just around the block and it took me well over an hour to back it into the driveway when I returned but it felt so good to have a weathertight, mobile trailer. In my defense, I have never towed a trailer before but with my "how hard can it be" attitude (which also got me into this epic project in the first place) I was sure I would ace it. By the time I finally got the trailer onto the driveway, albeit at a pronounced angle, I had started to figure out the knack of turning and reversing. Not totally confident yet but a whole lot more humble.
This little drive was my mini "shakedown" for the real test tomorrow. I am going to attempt to take the trailer about 15 kms to a garage to have the brakes done and the tires and axle looked at.
It has been a year since I posted on this thread though I have still been asking a lot of questions about repairs (thanks to all you have answered and helped) I have basically been working on the body and, of course, living on the prairies of Canada was able to do nothing for 6 of those 12 months.
What I have done so far:
Interior:
-stripped everything out of the trailer, including all electrical and propane
-replaced about 1/4 of the interior wood framing (rot from water)
-removed the wood floor and replaced with marine plywood
-repaired all the pinholes and cracks (that went through the shell) and larger holes with resin and mat or resin with balloons
-made a support system for the roof and sheathed it in 1/8" maple plywood (varathaned)
-painted all exposed interior fiberglass areas with Rustoleum Topside paint
- replaced fiberglass insulation with rigid insulation
-built 2 tall cabinets from 1/2 in birch plywood reinforced on the front edges for stability; the traditional wardrobe cupboard is switched to the driver's side and on the curbside is a full height cupboard that is about 1/2 as deep.
-installed new 125 ah battery (will have solar in the future)
-began wiring with Progressive dynamics system, have got as far and basic wiring of the DC (the only thing I have not done myself- my son who is an electrician took pity on me when I kept calling him with questions)
Basically the inside is still just the insulation and framing so I still have to install paneling and build the benches, kitchen cupboards, finish the electrical, do plumbing, put up blinds, make cushions ...

Exterior: (pic below)
-removed a thick layer of tar from the roof (hellish job) and repaired, primed and painted it
- removed the belly band and fiberglassed the top and bottom halves of the trailer together to make it more weathertight (another hellish job)
-removed what I assume was house paint put on by PO and sanded (seemingly endlessly), primed and painted with 3-4 coats of Rustoleum Topside white paint.
-removed the grills in the kitchen area and replaced with a hatch (ebay-$25.00) to access the area under the future kitchen counter for water containers etc.
-installed 30v plug on the outside, a cable input and water refill port
-installed a Fantastic fan
-removed the windows, took them apart and rebuilt with new crank mechanism and weatherstripping and cleaned the aluminum the best I could with Nevr Dull (far from perfect); reinstalled with butyl tape
- during a trip to BC I made a detour to Centralia WA to a RV salvage yard and found a truck camper door in great shape. With a little shaving of the top of the wooden door frame (reinforced it above to compensate) the new door fits very well and it even has an integrated screen door. I took it all apart and cleaned, painted and put on new weatherstripping before installing.
-replaced all the lights on the exterior of the trailer with new led lights and all new wiring to the TV (son again)
Still left to do on the exterior: use Por 15 on the hitch and bumper, some touchups on the body paint, install one propane line, hitch box, build a new rockguard, some Ventura decals, install solar, plastic trim on the windows to cover the screws, new brakes, maybe tires, new spare at least and I would like to eventually try to remove the rust from the frame underneath.

I have listed all this not to boast or brag about what I have done (though actually seeing the trailer hitched up today did make me a little giddy) but in order to encourage others who are considering a project trailer to pause for a second to consider whether they really want to hand their life over to such a "hobby". I was neophyte and did not have a clue what I was really getting into. It has become all consuming at times, is costing far too much but I am learning a lot and know I will have a trailer that will function for me for many years, I hope.
Here she is so far: (I really need to think of a name)

philtripp 07-24-2017 03:27 PM

Everything is looking great! Would love to see some inside progress pics. I just brought home a ventura project of my own, cant wait to tackle it!

Patricia D. 07-24-2017 09:43 PM

Congratulations on your trailer, Phil. I hope you heed my warnings about how these renos can taker over your life;). I will post some pics of inside progress once my trailer comes back from getting brakes etc.done and once I have something to show. If there are any particular areas though that I might have already covered, just let me know. There are other Ventura owners and previous owners who are willing to share and offer advice too.
How about pics of your new acquisition?

philtripp 07-24-2017 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is. The only picture I have on the iPad at the moment.

Patricia D. 07-24-2017 10:14 PM

Do you know the year?
It would be great if you could take some closeups of the tags or decals that are visible in the pic. I would love to be able to see what they say. It is hard to find info on these trailers so anything like that is interesting.

philtripp 07-28-2017 07:23 AM

It is a 77. I will post some photos of the decals and infor sheet on the interior. most of the decal on the outside are faded and not readable but I will post anyway :)

Kkat 08-24-2017 01:00 PM

Mystery Venture/a

Hello Patricia,
I just looked at your beautiful trailer and the whole story of your renovation! WOW. Inspiring. Mine just arrived (person I got it from delivered it), and it is so so sad. See my photos on the "new person" thread if you want to help me figure out what the heck it is. Trashed, for one thing. Your step-by-step descriptions of your work will be so helpful! I originally thought it was a Boler (since someone put a plate on it that says "Bo Bo"), but it is NOT. However, now I have renewed hope I may be able to pull it with my Honda CRV (couldn't with a Boler).

Patricia D. 08-24-2017 07:52 PM

Kkat,
If I can, I would certainly be happy to answer any questions you may have as you start on your trailer.
Aside from the back side windows, the grill by the door and the door itself, it certainly looks like a Ventura.
Jon may be onto the answer with the suggestion that someone may have acquired the molds after the plant closed. As you probably already know. Ventura trailers were made by Monarch Industries in Gimli, Manitoba not by Venture.
Despite its origins, I think the construction will be much the same as a Ventura so you will be able to call on this forum for help as you go along.
Keep us posted on your progress, if you have time.

Patricia D. 09-04-2017 09:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After having the trailer in to the shop for new brakes, tires and rims, I have finally been able to get to the interior of the trailer in earnest. Over the last 3 weeks I have been working on the wall paneling and the cabinets.
It is slow going. I had a plan in mind (and sketched on graph paper) but I am pretty much just making it up as I go along because nothing on the body is square. Each wall flares out in the middle where the belly band is and narrows again to the floor and also the walls widen outward from back to middle and then narrow again toward the front. The only reference points that can be counted on are a line down the middle back to front and another side to side and everything has to be measured from there.

I should mention that the way I am finishing the inside now is for one person, with a 30" bed that is higher than the standard bench (about 19" to accommodate the Thetford Curve portapotty under the bench during the day). Both benches are the same height. Nothing that I am doing in the bed area could not be undone in very short order and the original 46" bed can still be configured in this scenario.

I have changed the original design quite a bit. I now will have a "sink cabinet" on the side opposite the door with a tall cabinet between it and the bench. The sink cabinet runs right to the front wall. Under this cabinet will be water and waste jugs (accessible from the outside through a hatch door that I installed), a water heater and a water pump.
The tall cabinet will have shelving in the top section, a pullout cooler shelf in the middle and some storage at the bottom.
There will be a "stove cabinet" where part of the front bench was. In this cupboard will be a pullout shelf for my Coleman stove and bucket "drawers" for storage.
Where the tall cabinet was, just to the left of the door will be a short cabinet with some support going up the wall to a cabinet at ceiling. In the short cabinet will be the electrical systems.
The bed is going to run down that side from the back to the door. It is long enough for me.
I have included a few pics of my progress so far. The cabinets are made of 1/2,3/8,1/2" baltic or regular birch ply. Temporarily, on top of several of the cabinets are pieces of rigid insulation that I am using as templates for the countertops. The cabinets are still a bit rough looking because I have yet to do the trim work and doors.

Kkat 09-05-2017 06:48 AM

WoW!
I am really enjoying, and will benefit from all you work. Thank you for the pictures. My first step with my little one will be making sure there are no leaks, before the rains come....

Patricia D. 09-05-2017 04:32 PM

Thanks Kkat.
Yes I spend a long time addressing the leaks but it is necessary if you are going to put your time and energy into redoing your trailer. It would be a shame to do the work only to have water damage.
If you are going to change things around at all, give a lot of thought to how the weight will be balanced in the final product from side to side and loads in the front and back.
And above all, have fun.

Kkat 09-05-2017 09:14 PM

Yes. Excellent point about the fun part!

LindaandPat 09-06-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patricia D. (Post 660147)
After having the trailer in to the shop for new brakes, tires and rims, I have finally been able to get to the interior of the trailer in earnest. Over the last 3 weeks I have been working on the wall paneling and the cabinets.
It is slow going. I had a plan in mind (and sketched on graph paper) but I am pretty much just making it up as I go along because nothing on the body is square. Each wall flares out in the middle where the belly band is and narrows again to the floor and also the walls widen outward from back to middle and then narrow again toward the front. The only reference points that can be counted on are a line down the middle back to front and another side to side and everything has to be measured from there.

I should mention that the way I am finishing the inside now is for one person, with a 30" bed that is higher than the standard bench (about 19" to accommodate the Thetford Curve portapotty under the bench during the day). Both benches are the same height. Nothing that I am doing in the bed area could not be undone in very short order and the original 46" bed can still be configured in this scenario.

I have changed the original design quite a bit. I now will have a "sink cabinet" on the side opposite the door with a tall cabinet between it and the bench. The sink cabinet runs right to the front wall. Under this cabinet will be water and waste jugs (accessible from the outside through a hatch door that I installed), a water heater and a water pump.
The tall cabinet will have shelving in the top section, a pullout cooler shelf in the middle and some storage at the bottom.
There will be a "stove cabinet" where part of the front bench was. In this cupboard will be a pullout shelf for my Coleman stove and bucket "drawers" for storage.
Where the tall cabinet was, just to the left of the door will be a short cabinet with some support going up the wall to a cabinet at ceiling. In the short cabinet will be the electrical systems.
The bed is going to run down that side from the back to the door. It is long enough for me.
I have included a few pics of my progress so far. The cabinets are made of 1/2,3/8,1/2" baltic or regular birch ply. Temporarily, on top of several of the cabinets are pieces of rigid insulation that I am using as templates for the countertops. The cabinets are still a bit rough looking because I have yet to do the trim work and doors.

Hi Patricia . Wow , You have been busy ! Nice work ! The door looks real nice . I remember when you were working on the fiberglass in the doorway and the windows . Can't wait to see the interior all finished . Your son should be proud of his Mom ! Pat of Linda and Pat

Patricia D. 09-07-2017 06:56 AM

Thanks, Pat. I am frantically trying to get at least the basics done before the cold weather hits and I need to put the trailer away for the winter. I am really hoping to go on my "grand tour" of south and west US this winter, if the trailer is liveable.
I have 3 sons and am not sure if they are proud. Bemused, yes. They are used to my always having a house renovation project on the go, so this is just Mom doing her thing. But at least this thing will get me on the road to visiting them across the country.

Buggeee 09-07-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patricia D. (Post 652106)
Still left to do on the exterior: use Por 15 on the hitch and bumper

Patricia you camper is turning out Great! It looks really clean and your attention to detail is impressive and motivating.

As I recall, Por 15 is not UV protected, meaning don't have it in the sun. Its great on car frames because they are never exposed to sunshine. If you are going to (or have) used it on your hitch and bumper you should top-coat it with paint to keep it from degrading in the sun. The can will probably let you know that you can top coat it within a certain amount of time (like a day) and after that you can top coat it if you lightly sand it with sandpaper or a scotch brite pad first to give the topcoat something to adhere to.

You are going to love traveling with that camper of yours and when you pull into your son's places they will definitely be proud, if not stunned, and the bemusement will be all yours.

Patricia D. 09-08-2017 10:22 AM

Thanks Buggeee,
I tried to find Por 15 but could only get the large can which would have been a waste. Amazon has the starter kits which would have been just about right but they were very expensive. When I had the trailer in the shop, the mechanic recommended using Tremclad. I sanded all the old rust off with my grinder and painted it. The paint (not spray) was very thick and so far, after several wet days, the hitch and bumper are looking good.
By the way, I love your dome and also your floor is impressive. You should never have to worry about water damage.
You are obviously enjoying the process. Keep on having fun.

understep 10-14-2017 09:34 AM

Hi Patricia! Can you describe what you did to reinforce the roof? I'm currently rebuilding my Ventura and fixing the sagging roof is on my to do list.

LindaandPat 10-14-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patricia D. (Post 660721)
Thanks Buggeee,
I tried to find Por 15 but could only get the large can which would have been a waste. Amazon has the starter kits which would have been just about right but they were very expensive. When I had the trailer in the shop, the mechanic recommended using Tremclad. I sanded all the old rust off with my grinder and painted it. The paint (not spray) was very thick and so far, after several wet days, the hitch and bumper are looking good.
By the way, I love your dome and also your floor is impressive. You should never have to worry about water damage.
You are obviously enjoying the process. Keep on having fun.

Hi Pat ! Still following your progress ! Pat

Patricia D. 10-14-2017 09:49 PM

Hi Linda and Pat,
I am still plugging along. The weather remains good enough for me to carry on and I am now doing the trim work and doors on the cabinets. I will post pics soon. Thanks for keeping in touch.
understep,
I tried several things like attempting to reinforce the current "beams" that did not do the job. At that point in my reno I was a rank newbie and attempting to follow the advice of another owner who attached 3/4 in aluminum as reinforcement. I realized later that I had bought the wrong product and it was a fail. If you search the Ventura forum, I think you will find his method. I think it was Dudley.
In several places where the roof was bad, I used mat and resin to attach some 1x4 wooden supports right to the shell to stiffen it. This was tricky because there is a curve in the roof so you can't use long pieces or there will be bulges on the roof exterior (I have one) which only compounds the problem.
All the time I had the trailer stripped out, I had homemade jacks in place and would gently and incrementally raise the roof to try to restore the curve.
Careful though, as too much can cause cracking. (I have two though not serious)
Finally, I decided to sacrifice 3/4 in of height and made about six 1x2 new supports for the original beams that run from side to side. The supports run at 90 degrees to the existing beams, from back to front, and are notched at each end to sit just below and be screwed up into the beams where the roof meets the front and back walls. Doing this restored the curve of the roof (inside) very nicely and now that the birch plywood is on and varathaned, the gentle arch is my favourite part of the trailer.
What I have done has strengthened the roof and I believe it will now hold its current shape. I like to think that I have stabilized it.
I do not think that it is the original shape on the outside as it is slightly higher at the front and back walls but it is okay where the fan is so I don't have to worry about water standing there. It is a bit rough on the exterior from some patching but not bad and I am confident it will not be leaking.
Again, this being my first ever trailer, I make it up as I go along, taking into account the excellent advice and tips form this forum. I have made mistakes, as noted here. I am sure others will cringe at some of the things I have done but if others can learn from my mistakes, I am happy with that.

LindaandPat 10-14-2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patricia D. (Post 666951)
Hi Linda and Pat,
I am still plugging along. The weather remains good enough for me to carry on and I am now doing the trim work and doors on the cabinets. I will post pics soon. Thanks for keeping in touch.
understep,
I tried several things like attempting to reinforce the current "beams" that did not do the job. At that point in my reno I was a rank newbie and attempting to follow the advice of another owner who attached 3/4 in aluminum as reinforcement. I realized later that I had bought the wrong product and it was a fail. If you search the Ventura forum, I think you will find his method. I think it was Dudley.
In several places where the roof was bad, I used mat and resin to attach some 1x4 wooden supports right to the shell to stiffen it. This was tricky because there is a curve in the roof so you can't use long pieces or there will be bulges on the roof exterior (I have one) which only compounds the problem.
All the time I had the trailer stripped out, I had homemade jacks in place and would gently and incrementally raise the roof to try to restore the curve.
Careful though, as too much can cause cracking. (I have two though not serious)
Finally, I decided to sacrifice 3/4 in of height and made about six 1x2 new supports for the original beams that run from side to side. The supports run at 90 degrees to the existing beams, from back to front, and are notched at each end to sit just below and be screwed up into the beams where the roof meets the front and back walls. Doing this restored the curve of the roof (inside) very nicely and now that the birch plywood is on and varathaned, the gentle arch is my favourite part of the trailer.
What I have done has strengthened the roof and I believe it will now hold its current shape. I like to think that I have stabilized it.
I do not think that it is the original shape on the outside as it is slightly higher at the front and back walls but it is okay where the fan is so I don't have to worry about water standing there. It is a bit rough on the exterior from some patching but not bad and I am confident it will not be leaking.
Again, this being my first ever trailer, I make it up as I go along, taking into account the excellent advice and tips form this forum. I have made mistakes, as noted here. I am sure others will cringe at some of the things I have done but if others can learn from my mistakes, I am happy with that.

Good for you , Pat . I can't wait to see the pictures ! Pat

k0wtz 10-15-2017 08:29 AM

your work

fantastic work!!!

bob

cajabu 10-15-2017 11:36 AM

Your little Ventura is so beautiful, I love the way you've reconfigured the interior.....It makes me want to tackle mine. If I had a place at home to a work on it, I would be tempted to gut mine too but I hope to be able I to get away I with just a facelift. Im considering a mini Reno tho ,- I'd really like to put a counter along the front instead of the bench, and raise the height of the seating seating at the bed/table for more storage.

I haven't picked mine up yet, decided I might as well get the proper wiring harness installed on my vehicle instead of just purchasing an adapter. I'll pick it up next weekend, really lucky the weather seems to be cooperating ;) Looking at pics of yours when you first got it makes me wonder if there will be more work to do on mine than I'm anticipating....I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Did you really just learn as you went, with info and advice from these forums? Surely you had some building skills from before, everything looks so professionally done...I'm quite intimidated by your willingness to take on such a daunting challenge...Awesome work, Patricia
, Can't wait to see it finished!

Patricia D. 10-16-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cajabu (Post 667028)
Did you really just learn as you went, with info and advice from these forums? Surely you had some building skills from before, everything looks so professionally done...I'm quite intimidated by your willingness to take on such a daunting challenge.

Thanks for your comments.
You are correct, I have had experience renovating houses with a partner and a condo that I did on my own. Though certainly still an amateur, over time I have learned to do plumbing, basic electrical, some cabinetry, drywall etc. by asking lots of questions at building stores, consulting library books in the pre-internet era, watching TV shows like This Old House. My point being that it is possible to learn what you need to know with time and devotion.
I don't think I would have had the courage to take on a trailer without that background but I also was fooled into a "how hard can it be" attitude.
I did not anticipate that there are lots of aspects of trailer reno that are so different from house reno like the mechanical (tires, brakes etc.), fiberglass, structural issues, weight considerations, working in a tiny space with angled walls.
My work in the trailer is not perfect by any means and I have made mistakes and know there are things I should have done differently.

I guess I am cautioning you that taking on a complete reno is not for the faint of heart and would be a steep learning curve without some relevant background. But it also depends on your expectations. With more experience comes higher expectations for the finished product. My standards for exterior fiberglassing and painting were not as high as for the interior finishing because, being a fg novice, I finally settled for good enough.
Having a less ambitious plan, using some of what exists and reconfiguring some would seem to be a more realistic way to go. I like to think that is what I would do if I ever took on another trailer but probably not.:)
Whatever you choose to do, best of luck and this forum will be a great resource for you.:wave

cajabu 10-17-2017 05:42 PM

thanks patricia, good advice. i can easily see how this could become an obsession. i do have some relevant skills/experience and i'm well equipped with power tools, lacking in electrical knowledge and anything beyond basic building...unless building ikea furniture/cabinets counts ;). i can easily see how this could become an obsession, i'm both glad and sad that i don't have a garage/yard to work in.....mostly glad i think.

realistically speaking - yes......i think it's best that i stick to a makeover only. i'll have to be satisfied with living vicariously through yours (and other's) rebuilding/renovating adventures here :)

k0wtz 10-17-2017 09:25 PM

pat how are your sheet rock finish skills? I marvel at what those guys can do!! sort of like some of the painting jobs I see on here!!

TheWanderers 10-18-2017 08:05 AM

Patricia, your work is fantastic and you're doing very well. Yes, the learning curve is steep but the payback is wonderful and your work demonstrates your commitment and dedication to quality. Keep going! You're doing great!

You mentioned POR15 for your hitch and frame I bought some from Amazon in a quart size that work exceptionally well for Laura and I on our Scamp. This product is simply amazing and I highly recommend it for your project.

Good luck and happy camping!

rogerfb 10-20-2017 09:40 AM

Roger

Thanks For info you did a good job, I will use some of your Idears on my just purchased 73 Ventura

MurrayC 11-19-2017 11:21 AM

redo

Patricia
I have 1976 Ventura.
Totally gutted, same as you have done.
When I removed the floor, I felt this compromised the fiberglass so I put down a new mat of glass. I am glad it has been raining otherwisse I wouldn't have found a problem.
The bottom recessed areas at the front sides. The curve from the wall to the floor area. Water weeped throught he fiberglass with no apparent hole for a length of about 6".
I put down a new fiberglass mat here up the wall 3" and out 3".
I put a hose on this area before I did the repair and it took about 10 minutes for the water to start seeping in. When I did the main floor area I should have brought the glass up the sides a few inches just to be safe.
Good luck.
See my pics in this section.::

understep 05-27-2018 07:57 PM

Tires

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patricia D. (Post 660147)
After having the trailer in to the shop for new brakes, tires and rims.

Hi Patricia, I'm just wondering what size of tires you had put on and where you had them done?

Patricia D. 05-29-2018 01:16 AM

The mechanic that I went to put on 13 inch wheels. I trust(ed) and hope that they are the correct size. I will have to look into it.
That same mechanic, located in my community, did the brakes as well. I am now on my first trip with the trailer and have had to replace those "new" brakes. On the 2nd day into the trip I began to hear some grinding noises when braking at low speeds and by the 4th day, the grinding had turned into metal on metal screeching. I tried to find a mechanic to look at them but no one had time so I had to risk driving through the rest of the Rockies to the Okanagan where a brake specialist replaced the whole brake system. He found one side worn down to the axle and the other to be not working and the wiring all chewed up. There was no sign that the bearings had been packed and the grease was filthy.
So, I would clearly not recommend my mechanic. Metro Trailer on Nairn Ave in Wpg, has been recommended to me though I have no experience of them.
Hope this helps.

LindaandPat 05-29-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patricia D. (Post 699139)
The mechanic that I went to put on 13 inch wheels. I trust(ed) and hope that they are the correct size. I will have to look into it.
That same mechanic, located in my community, did the brakes as well. I am now on my first trip with the trailer and have had to replace those "new" brakes. On the 2nd day into the trip I began to hear some grinding noises when braking at low speeds and by the 4th day, the grinding had turned into metal on metal screeching. I tried to find a mechanic to look at them but no one had time so I had to risk driving through the rest of the Rockies to the Okanagan where a brake specialist replaced the whole brake system. He found one side worn down to the axle and the other to be not working and the wiring all chewed up. There was no sign that the bearings had been packed and the grease was filthy.
So, I would clearly not recommend my mechanic. Metro Trailer on Nairn Ave in Wpg, has been recommended to me though I have no experience of them.
Hope this helps.

Oh my Pat . I just read your post . I am so glad you made it through the mountains . Unfortunately there are people like what he did or didn't do to your trailer . I believe in Karma . Just so glad you are alright and your trailer is on the mend . Pat and Linda

LindaandPat 05-29-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaandPat (Post 699160)
Oh my Pat . I just read your post . I am so glad you made it through the mountains . Unfortunately there are people like what he did or didn't do to your trailer . I believe in Karma . Just so glad you are alright and your trailer is on the mend . Pat and Linda

Pat ,Linda and I just talked , the heck with Karma . That mechanic needs to be reported to your authority. Also any money you paid he needs to repay . Patand Linda

Patricia D. 05-30-2018 04:21 PM

Thanks. I have the brakes that he installed as proof. I am also going to get a statement from the mechanic that redid them, outlining what he found when he took them apart. Then I am going to get a lawyer to sent him a "request" for a refund of the money and after that we will see what happens. For one thing, he is a CAA (like your AAA) certified mechanic and that should definitely be revoked.

John in Michigan 05-30-2018 04:50 PM

Pat, just read through your thread, and wanted to comment on your brake and bearing issues. Based on issues I've had with my FGRVs, I would suggest you also consider:

- One of the brakes may have been faulty when your mechanic installed it. I had similar symptoms and problems with brand new dexter brakes (factory installed on a brand new axle!). I finally determined that the clip holding the brake magnet on the left brake had come loose, and this was causing the right brake to do all of the work and overheat, etc.
- While the second mechanic said that the bearings were filthy, was this actually causing any issues? Bearings generally only have to be serviced every 10,000 miles. Also, did you ask the first mechanic to service the bearings?

Just things to consider as you proceed.

Anyway good luck with your beautiful camper!

LindaandPat 05-30-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patricia D. (Post 699257)
Thanks. I have the brakes that he installed as proof. I am also going to get a statement from the mechanic that redid them, outlining what he found when he took them apart. Then I am going to get a lawyer to sent him a "request" for a refund of the money and after that we will see what happens. For one thing, he is a CAA (like your AAA) certified mechanic and that should definitely be revoked.

Pat , good you are going to follow up . Patand Linda

Patricia D. 05-30-2018 10:23 PM

Hi John,
When I took it to the first mechanic I asked that the following be done: New tires and check that everything was okay and to do the bearings, NEW brakes, install break away cable and to extend the what I believe is called the umbilical cord which was too short and came out when going around corners.
When I picked it up he said he did not have time to wait for new parts so rebuilt the brakes, he did the tires and I assumed he had done the bearings. He had put on the break away unit and done the wiring. However the running and tail lights were not working(though they were when I took it in) After having his assistant work on it for about 1/2 and hour he told me he did not have time to fool around with it and to take it elsewhere. Such was his attitude and work ethic.

LindaandPat 05-31-2018 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patricia D. (Post 699299)
Hi John,
When I took it to the first mechanic I asked that the following be done: New tires and check that everything was okay and to do the bearings, NEW brakes, install break away cable and to extend the what I believe is called the umbilical cord which was too short and came out when going around corners.
When I picked it up he said he did not have time to wait for new parts so rebuilt the brakes, he did the tires and I assumed he had done the bearings. He had put on the break away unit and done the wiring. However the running and tail lights were not working(though they were when I took it in) After having his assistant work on it for about 1/2 and hour he told me he did not have time to fool around with it and to take it elsewhere. Such was his attitude and work ethic.

Pat don't forget the running and tail lights that quit working .you don't want the bearing grease to be filthy .the dirt will wear the bearings and race . Bet I am sure you already know that . This is information for the other fellow . This could of turned out badly , sorry Pat . Go get him ! Pat and Linda

Glenn Baglo 05-31-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patricia D. (Post 699139)
He found one side worn down to the axle and the other to be not working and the wiring all chewed up.

How does one wear the brakes down to the axle? :confused:

Patricia D. 05-31-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo (Post 699303)
How does one wear the brakes down to the axle? :confused:

Obviously I have usied the wrong terminology. The centre of the brake assembly that goes over the axle was damaged, the bearings were destroyed. There was also an issue with the magnet. I have to have a look at the damaged brakes now that I am a few days and a good rest removed from the incident.

Patricia D. 04-14-2019 02:26 PM

I have had some questions about my rebuild so have put together an album. It can be found on my profile page (Patricia D.) or here:
Fiberglass RV - Patricia D.'s Album: Ventura rebuild 2016-2018

if you want a beginning to end view of the process, you have to start at the last picture- a quirk of the system that the pics load backward.

Descriptions can be found for some of the pictures below the enlargements.

David B. 04-14-2019 09:44 PM

That is a true resurrection, but better than original.
Dave & Paula