Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Trouble shooting DC Electrical problems (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/trouble-shooting-dc-electrical-problems-77735.html)

Byron Kinnaman 12-07-2016 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve dunham (Post 619013)
Not necessarily true . I went to school full time for 2 full years before I started my 4 year electrical apprenticeship or picked up the tools.
I spent 8300 hours on the job and 1600 hours in night school before I was allowed to take the test for my state journeyman's electrical license and then I had to take an 8 hour exam to get my union journeyman's card. During my apprenticeship I was required to work under the direct supervision of a licensed journeyman.
Now as a journeyman / master electrician , I am required to take continuing education classes to maintain my license . Even though I hold an electrical license ( Master or Journeyman) , I am still required to pull a permit and have my work inspected by a state licensed electrical inspector
As a licensed electrician by law , I assume legal responsibility when I instruct people in how to install wiring.
I am under no obligation to train anyone in the art of installing / repairing electrical systems and jeopardize my livelihood / family.
If you believe that you can learn to be an electrician by reading Wiki than go for it
I tried to help the OP and soon realized he was in over his head.
A smart man knows what he doesn't know !!

The problem is professionals know what the negative possibilities and how easy it is to make a mistake that can cause something like a fire. The amateur doesn't know enough to know what can cause problems and maybe a loss of life.

Many amateurs take little bit of information and think they know it all, that's one of reason professionals don't like give out advice, including me.

Daniel the Texan 12-07-2016 12:02 PM

Thanks everyone again for the words of support and the words of caution. Moving forward, I went ahead and tested the switch on the inoperable light fixture and found that I had continuity with the switch in the off and on position, which makes me believe I have a bad switch. I also found that I had 12v of dc power. So theoretically shouldn't the light be on both in the off and on position?

Darwin Maring 12-07-2016 01:26 PM

Check both wires on the light. The one that is the return wire and the one that goes to the switch.

Check the continuity on the bulb to make sure it is good.

Check the connection at the very bottom of the bulb socket to make sure it is up high enough to contact the bottom contact of the bulb.

Screw the bulb in all the way.

Is the bulb an LED?

Barb and Alan 12-07-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel the Texan (Post 619111)
Thanks everyone again for the words of support and the words of caution. Moving forward, I went ahead and tested the switch on the inoperable light fixture and found that I had continuity with the switch in the off and on position, which makes me believe I have a bad switch. I also found that I had 12v of dc power. So theoretically shouldn't the light be on both in the off and on position?

First of all, ditto to what Darwin last said. Secondly, the number of "keep your hands of, get a professional to help" responses is somewhat astonishing and disappointing given the nature and large use of this forum. Sadly, many professionals take themselves way too seriously which is not helpful to legitimate DIYers. Just MHO. Thankfully my neighbor (architect and construction professional) gave me advice on constructing my barn despite the danger to myself and my horses if I did it wrong. :eek:

Glenn Baglo 12-07-2016 08:08 PM

A licensed electrician can lose his license and his living by giving advice. If you want help, pay him, and get it done properly.

Raz 12-08-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadhead517 (Post 619153)
.....'. Sadly, many professionals take themselves way too seriously which is not helpful to legitimate DIYers.

My wife had a tooth ache. My neighbor, a dentist, had the same attitude when I asked for some tips on pulling the tooth. Go figure. :shg

Gerry 12-08-2016 08:00 AM

I remember the days asking for advise and one of the big problems of asking advise on a spacific problem will get 100's of different answers and it will confuse the whole issue.
Many of these answers are pertinant and some are no brainers to one who has a bit of experiance with wireing but the technical answers can be over the top of a lay-persons head.
But this will lead the lay-person to learn alot (or and I suggest) to buy a book on basic Electrical of wireing trailers and see and read till you understand how it all works.
That way any and most problems that rise up you'll be able to repair.

Daniel the Texan 12-16-2016 08:02 PM

Thanks

Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know I sorted out my electrical woes (at least some of them) turns out I had faulty ballasts in the lights and a dead motor fan. Bypassed the ballasts to convert the lights to LED, and found a cheap motor replacement so I am good to go there. The swamp cooler and furnace are still inoperable, but I will get around to them by and by. Anyways, thanks everyone for the advice, support or caution. Best.