Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Transporting Gasoline Problem (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/transporting-gasoline-problem-78062.html)

Darwin Maring 01-09-2017 03:39 PM

Military canteens. If you fill it with wine when you go play Army, you can not get that taste out. Found out when I was with the 18th Airborn Corps.
Just get a good 1 gallon gas can and be sure to carry it where it will not be dangerious should you have an accident. I am sure you will not be to far away from a gas station.

Raspy 01-09-2017 03:50 PM

Ah, yes. Wine. One of America's three main food groups. It fuels me OK, but my genny refuses to run on it. Wait a minute....... we could put gas in the wine bottle!

Steve Outlaw 01-09-2017 04:34 PM

The best containers for transporting gasoline

The best fuel cans on the market are made in Canada by Scepter for the military. They are not available commercially in the USA due to not being CARB compliant. For gasoline you will need the Viton Gaskets. Yes, I am aware of how expensive they are and that you need a special wrench to open them and a special spout to use them. But they're still the best. They are the only fuel containers approved to be transported in an aircraft while filled, they will not explode. When we travel into the back country in the Western US we will carry at least four of them with a couple of the matching water containers.

ZachO 01-09-2017 05:40 PM

Scepter are definitely my favorite water containers. Haven't used the gas containers but I know they're what the local National Guard uses.

ShelbyM 01-09-2017 06:40 PM

Has anyone used that Gas-tapper siphon? Will it clear whatever obstruction (don't care what it's called) there is in modern vehicles?

Darwin Maring 01-09-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelbyM (Post 622804)
Has anyone used that Gas-tapper siphon? Will it clear whatever obstruction (don't care what it's called) there is in modern vehicles?

We use to call that a Georga Credit Card.

Al and Cindy K 01-09-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floyd (Post 622742)
:loltu For many years now I have used that flap in the filler neck as a trivia quiz. We are now a couple of generations from 1974 when it was introduced. The government doesn't know how to eliminate old law once it becomes obsolete.
That device was introduced in 1974 to prevent the introduction of leaded gas into a car with a catalytic converter.( lead kills converters) To this day, unleaded nozzles are smaller than the leaded gas nozzles which no longer exist in commercial fuel sales.
Refineries have long since ceased production of leaded gas, yet the restricter persists like a piece of useless folklore.

...............:omy

A fuel tank rollover valve is another item altogether and would not affect siphoning.

Floyd, some time ago I had a problem siphoning gas from my 2012 Tacoma and contacted the folks at Gas Tapper as I didn't want to inadvertently damage something in the filler tube. It was my recollection their advice made reference to possible interference from a check valve which prompted the wording in my post. I didn't save those emails but your response got me to thinking so I went back to the link I provided and read it in more detail. This excerpt may be of interest to you.

"Many people have tried to siphon gas out of one of their newer vehicles only to find out they hit one if not two major difficulties. It is not easy. Most newer model cars and SUVís have emergency valves that stop gas from draining out in the event of a roll-over. This valve also acts as a siphon prevention system which is the reason why nearly all the siphon devices and pumps sold these days are useless. That being said, there is a way to siphon gas from a modern car, you just need to know how to do it and have the right tools for the job.

The anatomy of the blockage in newer vehicles is a ball valve or butterfly valve. There is enough room for gas to get through the fueling tube into the tank, but if the car flips over and gas begins to flow the other direction, the ball moves to the inlet and blocks the gas from escaping or the butterfly flap close
s."

Link to this particular tab on the website How to Siphon Articles and Blog - Gas Tapper

In all honesty, I have no idea if the obstruction I encountered was a check valve, a roll over valve or simply a baffle. I did find enough tips there on how to bypass whatever it was and haven't pursued it further.

I do appreciate your assumption that I'm too young to know the difference between leaded and unleaded gas nozzles or recall the introduction of catalytic converters but I pumped enough gas and turned enough wrenches while working at service stations and garages to put myself through college so feel reasonably competent in such matters; at least on vehicles with carbs and points. Good to know I'd pass your quiz.

I suggested a siphon because I've successfully used one in the past to obtain gas for my generator and I provided that link because it gives detail on siphoning products and techniques and lists vehicles known to work and not work with their product. Much more info there than I felt necessary to include in my response. Heck, I have no idea if the original poster would even consider this a viable solution.

Al and Cindy K 01-09-2017 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelbyM (Post 622804)

Shelby this link may answer your question or give the folks a call. They seem willing to help from my experience. Siphon gas from these cars with GasTapper - Gas Tapper

ShelbyM 01-09-2017 08:09 PM

Thanks! Looks like my F150 is a "yes." Tractor Supply is just down the road. It's worth a try.

Nick J 01-10-2017 11:46 AM

Propane converters are made for Honda generators. This will eliminate gas problems all together and you will already have the fuel.
I converted my eu2000i and really, really like the convenience.
THE MAJOR PROBLEM: Most of the conversion kits are poorly designed but under a couple of hundred bucks.
The best engineered by far is made by Genconnex and runs 400.00. Doing it right one time is cheaper than having to do it twice.
Good luck

Gerry 01-10-2017 04:10 PM

Thanks Nick, glad it got back on thread but our big trip next year going from Maine to the Finger Lakes reagion in NY then down to wifes Girl friends near Baltimore Maryland, over 3 weeks I will resort to just filling the generator direct from pump when I get close to a dry campsite.
First leg of trip may have a buddy along who will have a truck and he may carry some gas in a bed of the truck but just may not need it at all.
I will look up that converter kit but with 2 sets of new specs for the wife and me and other misc. body parts that may need looking after the finance Dept. is closed until further notice.
May have to burn propane in the house as the extra cold temps have depleated the wood pile at an alarming rate.

Glenn Baglo 01-10-2017 04:52 PM

You want to burn premium gas in that generator.