Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   my camper never had a battery (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/my-camper-never-had-a-battery-78139.html)

Raz 01-16-2017 04:56 AM

Quote:

Can I hook up that fan you have pictured on a small 12V battery?
The reason we use a lead acid battery on our trailers is because it provides a large capacity, that is , lots of energy in a small package. So while you can use any battery to run the fan, they probably won't last long. And the lead acid battery is typically outside the trailer for safety reasons.

Mike_L 01-16-2017 12:28 PM

If you use a lead acid battery, it should be outside the trailer as the hydrogen gas it produces is explosive.

Glenn Baglo 01-16-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_L (Post 623663)
If you use a lead acid battery, it should be outside the trailer as the hydrogen gas it produces is explosive.

Or it should be in a sealed battery box with a vent to the outside.

rep1158 01-16-2017 02:25 PM

Gerry: Yes there is a converter area under the dinette cushion. I will definitely check out that location in back of the converter. Unfortunately im at my dads house in Pennsylvania for a few more weeks. When I get back down to Florida ill post pictures and check all these recommendations out. This is a beyond helpful site THANK YOU ALL. I missed the French LOL
What type of battery is recommended for my application?

Raz: So if I can hook up a battery it should be outside? That makes sense since there a battery bracket near thew tongue.

Mike L. The previous owner only used it some weekends with his fiancee and small child. Im not even sure if the propane to fridge is hooked up. I'll check when I get back home. Just the electric worked. He said it was new and it looks new.

rep1158 01-16-2017 02:28 PM

Play Mor II 1400 series, inside layout is very similar to the 13' Scamp from what I have seen. The floor of the play mor is fiberglass and it has a straight door.

Gerry 01-16-2017 02:45 PM

What type of battery is recommended for my application?

Rick, you'll get as many answers tot his question as there are people here.
If I had the $$$ I would go with 2-6volt deep cell batteries but as $$$ is an issue with us I am fortunate enough to be shop a dealer who sells reconditioned deep cell batteries for $45 and gaurantees them for a year.
A 12 volt group 27 or this last one I got there was a group 31 will give your years of service if you do not let them discharge too low.
If you buy new be prepaired to pay $100 +

rep1158 01-16-2017 04:29 PM

Gerry: I have a deep cycle marine battery for my boat. But I have to look up all that battery jargon stuff. Thanks !!!!

Mike_L 01-16-2017 08:27 PM

All the best with that Rick. It may be as easy as hooking up the propane line.
If you are getting a battery, get the RV deep cycle one. They last longer than the marine units.

rep1158 01-16-2017 10:34 PM

OK thanks Mike L. and everyone !

neparker 01-17-2017 04:09 PM

You may find that a portable power source (Battery+inverter+USB+cigarette lighter) will meet any miscellaneous power needs you may encounter. They come in many configurations. We've found ours to be useful for powering our O2 fan, recharging cell phones, playing music, pumping up the inflatable, etc. when off the grid. Although we have house batteries, we generally use this first and save the house batteries for pump and other things that are 12v hard wired.

rep1158 01-19-2017 12:00 AM

Neparker: I will check into this alternate power source. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll google that see what I come up with
rick