Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Casita fitting is crumbling...can you identify it? (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/casita-fitting-is-crumbling-can-you-identify-it-90091.html)

lars 08-17-2019 01:43 PM

Casita fitting is crumbling...can you identify it?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I *think* the plumbing vent on my Casita is crumbling. Can someone please tell me:
a) what the piece is and
b) where I can get a replacement?

I live in Canada but can order from the US if need be. Thanks in advance for your help.

** EDIT **
There are louvres that should be covering that hole but they have broken away.

thrifty bill 08-17-2019 04:49 PM

Check Amazon first. Is that a water tank fill connection or a fresh water hose hookup connection?

Also, Casita probably can sell you the part.

Basically, the plastic parts on the outside of the trailer wear out, get brittle, crack and so on.

RV Fresh water fill spout

RV Fresh water hatch

lars 08-17-2019 05:02 PM

Bill, thanks for the reply. I should've mentioned in my original post that there SHOULD be louvres covering that hole but they have crumbled away.

thrifty bill 08-17-2019 07:04 PM

OK, that is a battery compartment vent cover:

$2.19 here in the USA.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...s%2C149&sr=8-2

Or with the inside piece as well, $7.91

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...s%2C149&sr=8-3

Iowa Dave 08-18-2019 05:44 AM

You have to be careful separating the inner assembly from the outer louvered cover if they are caulked or butyl taped together. Otherwise you’ll have to buy both the cover and the assembly. I got away with just the cover but had to take my time.
Iowa Dave

LarryB. 08-18-2019 11:14 AM

Battery Box???

You didn't mention the year/model for your Casita.

I have a 17' Spirit Deluxe and the battery compartment is on the port side in the back lower corner. The access door has a vent in it and there also is a vent to the battery compartment from the underneath corner of the Casita. My water tank fill is in the back toward the starboard side (in-between the spare tire and the tail light) and my "city water" connection is in the middle of the port side below the belly band toward.

Your picture shows the vent in the middle of the starboard side of the Casita above the belly band. Based on the picture, the caulk doesn't appear to be a "factory quality" installation.......

If your Casita's layout is similar to mine (which doesn't have such a vent), your vent is probably under/behind your sink. Could it be a plumbing revent? If it is a plumbing revent, then the vents that Bill referenced should be fine.

DanoFL 08-18-2019 09:35 PM

I have a 2006 sd17 - my city water connection is further forward & lower. My house battery is on the other side.

I think that might be a city water connection. Look inside under your sink - I bet you can see the other side and it should be more obvious.

I really doubt it is a battery vent.

I would post on https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/forums/ -- you will get an answer there.

IT would be helpful to know your model year.

It might be a modification, but since it appears to be under the sink I am guessing it is the city water inlet.

Dave Fish 08-18-2019 09:46 PM

Given the location and the missing louvers, I believe it's actually a sink vent. Look under the sink cabinet and see if there is a pipe running to it from the sink drain. I don't remember if my Casita had that or not but my vintage Campster does. Sometimes they vent through the roof like the bathroom.

John in Santa Cruz 08-18-2019 11:52 PM

all the drain vents on my casita SD16 are on the roof.

Glenn Baglo 08-19-2019 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Best pic I can come up with at the moment, but just above the wheel well at about 2 O'clock is a vent on my Escape 17B. It vents the grey water tank.

Glenn Baglo 08-19-2019 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a cropped version.

lars 08-19-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryB. (Post 752650)
You didn't mention the year/model for your Casita.

If your Casita's layout is similar to mine (which doesn't have such a vent), your vent is probably under/behind your sink. Could it be a plumbing revent? If it is a plumbing revent, then the vents that Bill referenced should be fine.

Ah, yes, it's my sink that's on the other side of that vent. Battery compartment is on left rear of trailer under bench seat.

lars 08-19-2019 11:13 AM

More specific info

Sorry for not posting this earlier: the trailer is a 2001 16' Casita Freedom Deluxe. It has no bathroom and no roof vents aside from the one for the fan.

John in Santa Cruz 08-21-2019 02:28 PM

a deluxe with no bathroom? huh, I thought the 'deluxe' meant came with bath.

lars 08-22-2019 09:03 AM

Thx for the help, folks. So now I know I'm looking for a grey water vent cover. Any recommendations for where to buy a replacement?

Glenn Baglo 08-22-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lars (Post 753055)
Thx for the help, folks. So now I know I'm looking for a grey water vent cover. Any recommendations for where to buy a replacement?

Talk to Fraserway RV in Abbotsford. Most likely source.

Anthonysherwood 08-24-2019 07:41 PM

Plumbing Vents and louvers

As far as your question Plumbing Vents and louvers is standard RV equipment kaseta uses the same things as everybody else does as far as the vents you can purchase them at any RV place so usually two or three dollars a piece be sure to get some Putty to go underneath when you put two screws down and then use a self-leveling sealant black dicor or something similar as far as the vent covers or louvers you have to look at the hinge they have three different styles of hinges for the vent covers the Fantastic fans have their own special lid for them check on the warranty for the Fantastic fans that used to be lifetime otherwise are around $50 a piece I hope this helps you I will send the RV business for over 30 years and I've owned to Casita looking to buy my third one

k corbin 08-25-2019 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz (Post 752946)
a deluxe with no bathroom? huh, I thought the 'deluxe' meant came with bath.

It think the deluxe description meant deluxe style cabinet doors

Anthonysherwood 08-25-2019 06:23 AM

I had a spirit Deluxe and they both had bathrooms the only thing that I know on a casita that actually crumbles is the vent lids and the plumbing vents even if you have no bathroom you still have a vent pipe on top for your sink and your gray water so explain what the crumbling is UV rays interact with plastic some of the good plastic holds up better than others lexan will not crumble due to UV light but the normal Skylight lid do get riddle and I assumed he was talking about a plumbing vent I need more information about what's crumbling

Anthonysherwood 08-25-2019 06:28 AM

I just assumed he was talking about Plumbing Vents and vent lid assumption it's not always correct to assume something but I thought he was talking like I said let me in advance anyting plastic on the outside of a trailer Plumbing vents vent hood vents even outside lights like a porch light after they will get brittle due to the UV rays you need to get me some more information if that's what it is but it's Spirit Deluxe I've had to and they've all had bathrooms in them but it depends on what the people order it can still be a spirit Deluxe if they ordered without a bath then it won't have one need more information thank you I'll be glad to help I was in the RV business for thirty years like I said I've owned to Casita and looking for a third thank you and have a great day phone number if you like it is 662-380-0655 Anthony Sherwood