Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Fantastic Fan - Out Goes in/In Goes Out (https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f95/fantastic-fan-out-goes-in-in-goes-out-90240.html)

barryra 08-31-2019 10:56 AM

Fantastic Fan - Out Goes in/In Goes Out

Here's a riddle.. when I put fan switch to blow out... it blows in & when to in... it blows out.

The battery is hooked up correctly. It worked correctly last year. The only thing I've done is adding LEDs.

Thanks

Wayne Collins 09-01-2019 11:12 AM

sounds like the switch is wired backwards.

Mike_L 09-01-2019 11:19 AM

Reversed polarity?

gordon2 09-01-2019 12:24 PM

Is it the basic three speed fan?* The in/out switch reverses the polarity to the fan (with the dome switch in series) so the wires could be reversed on the lugs on that switch. Or the wires from the main switch and the reversing switch could be reversed where they connect to the incoming power. Based on the wiring diagram (if this is the same or similar model), it looks like the fan would work in either of those cases. You can remove the cover and take a look (and photo). Or you can use some masking tape and a marker to "fix" it.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...6&d=1509128013

* If its a fancier model then things might be a little different. IDK if the fan would require proper polarity at the incoming power source in that case.

Raz 09-01-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryra (Post 754118)
Here's a riddle.. when I put fan switch to blow out... it blows in & when to in... it blows out.

The battery is hooked up correctly. It worked correctly last year. The only thing I've done is adding LEDs.

Thanks

Bearing in mind that in the RV world black is positive and white is negative, are you sure your battery is wired correctly? If you haven't rewired the fan, thats the only other explaination I can think of.

gordon2 09-01-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raz (Post 754263)
.. If you haven't rewired the fan, thats the only other explanation I can think of.

How about faulty memory? Even though the switch label is clear, I always had trouble remembering which way was exhaust. Perhaps its been this way all along and is just now being noticed... IDK.. the earths magnetic poles have not reversed yet so I doubt that electrical polarity has changed on it's own. ;)

I guess you can disregard my prior comments if it really did work properly before.

Lockman 09-01-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryra (Post 754118)
The only thing I've done is adding LEDs.

Thanks

Since adding the led's was the only thing that you did, where were they installed and for what purpose?

Maybe you should go back over what you did here as a possible reason why. Would make sense to me.

gordon2 09-01-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockman (Post 754276)
Maybe you should go back over what you did here as a possible reason why. Would make sense to me.

Agree. when I read "added LEDs" I assumed LED bulbs and that would involve no re-wiring. But maybe you added fixtures and therefore had to disconnect the battery first. Jon's theory is looking good.

NASA42 09-01-2019 04:40 PM

barryra.....

Seems to me there are two challenges here:
1st. Understanding what has caused this....and
2nd. Fixing the wrong-way switch itself.

The earlier contributors are clearly the ones you need for "1st."

I'm more the "do the 2nd" type. I suggest making a new in/out cover for the switch with a labelmaker, and putting the "in" end on the one that causes the air to come in, and etc., etc. with the other. Now you don't need to bother with the 1st!

Hope to meet you somewhere down the road.

Frank :ryello

Cliff Hotchkiss 09-03-2019 05:01 AM

Check and see if you tapped into the fan circuit for your new led by pulling fuse for fan. If LED goes out what probably happened was you switched wires going to fan reversing polarity. 😎

AC0GV 09-03-2019 06:37 AM

Is it fixed??

barryra What did you find? Inquiring minds want to know. If nothing else has changed, Id swap the wires going to the motor.

Cliff Hotchkiss 09-03-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC0GV (Post 754421)
barryra What did you find? Inquiring minds want to know. If nothing else has changed, Id swap the wires going to the motor.

🤔Think he already did that by accident, that's why it's running backwards