Anna Mull's Trailer :: Green Egg (and Ham)
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Registry
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Green Egg (and Ham)

Registry
Trailer Name Green Egg (and Ham)
Year 2004
Make Scamp
Model Custom
Length 13
Packages (TYPE-4 Deployable) High Frequency Digital Signal Processing (HF-DSP) Emergency Communications Platform with APRS, CW, BPSK/BPSK63, RTTY, VHF/UHF Packet, Pactor (I, II & III), Olivia, MT-63, SSTV, Winlink/AirMail, PacLink & WINMOR capabilities.
Green Egg (and HAM)
ready to deploy the sink and stove were covered to provide counter space
History In the summer of 2003 I bought a 1984 Military Blazer (CUCV) over the internet (sort of by accident). This camouflage suburban assault vehicle had these massive antenna mounts that needed antennas, so I got my Amateur Radio license. That’s it. The truck needed antennas, antennas need radios, radios need operators and operators need licenses. I began to collect gidgets and gadgets that would fit nicely into this slot or that box in the CUCV. I thought that I had everything I needed...

During Hurricane Katrina, I was deployed to the Kelly flight line where the evacuees were arriving. This experience enlightened me. I (now) have a more informed opinion as to what items I need, packed and ready, for the next deployment. Cross-Band Repeaters need HT’s, HT’s need spare batteries, spare batteries need chargers and chargers need to work on both AC and DC (or solar). I have also learned (since Katrina) that the greatest need in the forward deployed area is Digital Signal Processing (DSP), which is the ability to send regular email over HF radio.

My portable/tactical station consists of a CUCV which tows the 13 foot "Scamp" RV (affectionately nicknamed the "EGG"). The distinctive CUCV has a military AT-1011 HF 16 foot vertical antenna, which extends to 32 feet when fully deployed (and stationary). I picked up the EGG over the internet (sort of "on purpose") on Memorial Day '06 and stress tested it on the following Field Day. The built-in computer system, air conditioning and fridge make emergency communications comfortable.
Views: 5099