Mattress replacement for Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
This is a really helpful thread. Thanks all!

I am getting a new Scamp 13 in late January, and I am wondering if I should call Scamp and ask if they can just hold the rear cushions -and maybe give me a small credit? Then I could go with one of the options here, for example, Southern Mattress. I am guessing they probably have a pretty reliable template for a Scamp 13 and that I could order a mattress from them even before I get the Scamp, or maybe that is not wise and I should wait and measure?

I plan to keep back as a bed all the time, but I am a little concerned about getting into the areas under the rear seats. I am not sure what is in there beside the converter and fuse box. (I won't have any hot water, just a furnace, so I guess one side is electrical and the other side is just storage?) I have spent about a year with a 2015 Scamp, and I found that I never set up the rear dinette. I expect to sleep in the new one about 150 days per year.
One side is electrical with room for storage. The other is completely filled by the fresh water tank. With a permanent bed, the best storage is under the table, and it's pretty easy to access with duffles and/or long bins.

On mine the power center is toward the back of bench on the electrical side, so you could probably cut an access hatch toward the front (just don't cut the reinforcing wood fiberglassed inside the bench or cut too close to the corner, which is where the strength is). Others cut an exterior hatch to access that compartment from outside (it'd be a good place to store leveling blocks, water hose, and other set-up items). Replacing the pull-out cord with a detachable cord would solve the problem of stuff in the compartment getting tangled in the power cord.

If you decide to add additional interior storage access, Scamp can make matching doors in whatever size you want. Bottom of the side closet is another spot that begs for another door. Trade for the cushion delete?

Speaking of which, Scamp is typically willing to honor delete requests, but don't expect much of a credit. Another option is to ask for the covers only, which are valuable and easier to store. Then you'll have them if you or a future owner decides to go back to a convertible dinette. Foam is fairly easy to source, and the covers provide a template. Just a thought...

Congratulations on your new Scamp! What layout are you getting?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #22

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
under seat storage for Scamp

Hi, Zack;
My 2005 has the water storage tank on one side. I assume your's will too. Hot water tank is stored elsewhere.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #23

Name: Kim
Trailer: In the market
Colorado
What did you finally decide to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I'm looking for a mattress to replace my hard-as-rock cushions on my Scamp 13.

Anyone have experience with Magic Sleeper Mattress company or another company that makes mattresses to fit a Scamp? I'm unsure of dimensions for a 2005 Scamp as mine is in winter storage elsewhere. Not sure if dimensions are the same as for a Casita.

Your suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks
What did you finally decide to use to replace your scamp need? How it is working for you? I'm in the same boat and would appreciate any info that for found out! Thanks Kim
Kchitwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #24

Name: Kim
Trailer: In the market
Colorado
Replacing scamp bed

What did you finally decide to use to replace your scamp bed? How did it work for you? I'm in the same boat and would appreciate any info you found. Thanks Kim
Kchitwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #25

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
is 78 inches too long?

I am thinking about a twin-size tri-fold mattress to use for a single back bed (instead of the Scamp Cushions). Standard size for that is 78" x 38" x 4". And I am wondering: is 78 inches too long? Will I be able to scrunch that in there? (This would be for just forward of the curved area...)
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #26

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
With our Boler, we opted to go with the three piece bed foam. This made it easier to access the bench storage areas where on one side we don't have an outside hatch.
Easier to lift or flip one section than to flip the whole bed.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #27

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
If you have one nearby....check out IKEA....they have lots of great mattresses and are reasonaby priced. We bought a 4 1/2 inch mattress from them several years ago for our Casita.....fits great....sleep like a baby.....very well made product. My two cents.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #28

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
Check out Southern Mattress. They make a quality custom mattress, a bit more expensive than a DYI foam but well worth it in our experience.
We had a Southern Mattress in our Casita for the entire 5 years we owned the camper. Pure heaven!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #29

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Has anyone tried the Milliard 6 inch Tri-Fold-folding mattress? It will save me a lot of money compared to Southern Mattress. There is a cot size: 75 x 31 inches which I think may fit pretty well in the back of a Scamp 13. Do you think that is a good fit? Has anyone tried the Milliard Tri-fold? ($149.99 on Amazon)
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:36 PM   #30

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Something else you can do to help is buy a few packs of the workout floor puzzle squares then cut to fit the bottom. It helped me out in my Scamp. It don't make it softer but it adds a layer of insulation for colder weather.. 👍
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #31

Name: Della
Trailer: Trillium 1973
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
This is a really helpful thread. Thanks all!

I am getting a new Scamp 13 in late January, and I am wondering if I should call Scamp and ask if they can just hold the rear cushions -and maybe give me a small credit? Then I could go with one of the options here, for example, Southern Mattress. I am guessing they probably have a pretty reliable template for a Scamp 13 and that I could order a mattress from them even before I get the Scamp, or maybe that is not wise and I should wait and measure?

I plan to keep back as a bed all the time, but I am a little concerned about getting into the areas under the rear seats. I am not sure what is in there beside the converter and fuse box. (I won't have any hot water, just a furnace, so I guess one side is electrical and the other side is just storage?) I have spent about a year with a 2015 Scamp, and I found that I never set up the rear dinette. I expect to sleep in the new one about 150 days per year.
We were just camping and due to Covid all the meets we cancelled so other glass egg ppl were camping together and kindly had a look at our trillium. They suggested inserting an outside entry hatch to access storage so you don’t have to move the mattress as we have a trillium they suggested getting a hatch cover from escape .I’m sure you could find a custom fitted hatch cover from your trailer co if your wanted to go this route
Dellaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #32

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcellis54 View Post
We have a 2004 19ft Scamp 5th wheel and replaced the original double bed--made from the same materials as the seat cushions with a custom cut bed from Mattress Insider. We got the 8" Natural Latex Luxury RV mattress. They were great to work with in the ordering process and the mattress is fantastic. Pretty pricey at $600 but, if you camp a lot and like a good night's sleep, well worth it.
Memory foam draws sweat right out of me. But natural Latex does not. Love Latex!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:44 PM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
we went to the fabric store and bought foam to fit inside the stock Scamp covers. Cut it with electric knife to fit, so still can get into under seat areas.

MUCH cheaper than a full mattress costs.

Have also heard compressed roll up mattresses in a box sold with covers seem to all have fiberglass "hairs" that are released when cover is opened for washing, etc. I wouldn't want to breathe that, or sleep on it!
nutter_scamp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #34

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Go to your local mattress manufacturer and have them custom make one for you! Almost every metro area has mattress manufacturers that will do custom, quality, work at reasonable prices. I live in Western New York State (Buffalo/Rochester area) and there are several. My preference would be www.jamestownmattress.com .
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp