Thoughts on switching to an outdoor kitchen... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

Name: Alison
Trailer: Beachcomber
Manitoba
Thoughts on switching to an outdoor kitchen...

Hello! I am new here and am enjoying reading through all the forums for tips and tricks.

My fiancé and I recently bought a 1977 Beachcomber that overall is in pretty good condition and really just needs a good makeover. The plan is to take a road trip from Vancouver down the coast to the Pacific Coast Highway for our honeymoon after our wedding next summer (fingers crossed covid will allow this...)

My dad is a carpenter so with his help and direction we decided to gut the interior and start from scratch to make things more functional. We are currently in the planning stage and are considering what to do about the interior kitchen. To make better use of the space I am thinking that we may move to an outdoor cooking set up rather than re-install the burner and sink. Matt and I are both over 6 feet tall so actually can't stand up straight to be able to cook comfortably anyway! We tent camp a lot and enjoy cooking outdoors so this wouldn't be new to us. We would still have a countertop space and a fridge but that would basically be it for interior amenities.

I wonder though what your thoughts here are about this in terms of down the line re-sale value. Would it be ill-advisable to not include these amenities?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

AL
aloepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My thoughts... your trailer make it your own. HOWEVER, remember just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it. SO, while you think you'll ALWAYS cook outside, that is ALL weather dependent. You're talking about traveling the Pacific coast hwy. It's not unusual to have summer squalls on the coast... and that comes with wind. Would you really cook outside in that weather? Think of your future and what you want that to look like. Will you always be able to cook outside?

Good luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #3

Name: Alison
Trailer: Beachcomber
Manitoba
Thanks Donna for your reply. These are all very good points. We want to add an awning to protect from rain but hadn't necessarily though of the wind! We will definitely take this into consideration.

Thanks again,

AL
aloepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloepp View Post
Thanks Donna for your reply. These are all very good points. We want to add an awning to protect from rain but hadn't necessarily though of the wind! We will definitely take this into consideration.

Thanks again,

AL
wind and awnings do not play well together.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There have been occasions where supper was a can of beans, cooked in a pot, on the stove inside the trailer, wind and rain howling outside. We have a three-burner stove inside and have never used more than two burners. But outside, I have two single-burner butane stoves and a two-burner BBQ. The BBQ can be used to cook steaks on high heat, or to roast a whole chicken indirect ( chicken on the unfired side ).
Attached Thumbnails
Iwatani info.jpg   Napoleon Q controls.jpg  

chicken napoleon - 1.jpg   The Only.jpg  

Old 06-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
I think as well its your trailer build it your way, however if rebuilding and thinking resale then installing either original or similar items in new counter would be a right way to go IMO. My case I used new sink for upgrade and reused my stove as it was modern in my new countertop. Since your plans would be use only for bad weather (which is the way a lot of people do it) I would suggest while you have a good helper build some cutting board covers so you can use as all counter space until your bad weather day hits. I have both a store bought bambo and plastic commercial size cutting boards so I can cover the sink and stove, both have rubber feet so I feel comfortable setting something heavy on top of stoves glass cover.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #7

Name: Brian
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
No inside cooking

We bought a new Outback Trillium in 2009. We had it modified to remove the stove, fridge, heater and chose to use the galley space only for storage. We cook outside on a two burner hotplate, a small hibachi and also carry a small microwave in the back of our car in the event we need it. A couple of coolers and a small ceramic heater cover off the fridge and furnace.

We have done several 2-3 month trips covering the western states and 2 six month trips that have covered the rest of the continental USA. We have touched every state, every MLB ball park, most Civil War parks etc etc. We have well over 100K miles on our wee trailer and have never cooked inside. We are not off-road campers, typically staying in KOA, Good Sam, Passport America and State Parks, and have always found some sort of eatery nearby if the weather is too inclement to cook outside. If you are traveling the west coast you will pass many Fred Meyer stores that have baked chicken pieces and deli counter selections that make for excellent, inexpensive and easy to obtain meals.

So, we don't cook inside but will eat inside if the weather suggests it might be a good idea.

Have fun and good luck with your future travels.
Retired Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The smaller the trailer the less important is full self-containment- including a complete galley- in terms of resale. I agree that being able to prepare and eat simple meals inside is a valuable thing for bad weather days. As long as you have a decent-sized counter, a butane burner and/or induction plate and a wash basin will serve. One advantage of not having a permanent stove and sink is you can stow the basin to make more room for cooking and stow the burner to make more room for clean-up. And you can take it all outside when the weather is nice, so there’s no duplication of appliances.

One safety warning on the butane burners... You cannot use larger pots that overhang the fuel canisters.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
We cook outside every chance we have -- it's a nicer environment, cleanup is way easier, we don't fill up holding tanks -- which turns out to be the vast majority of the time. Even though inside the trailer we have a complete set of everything needed to cook and clean, I have accumulated a second set that I keep in the back of the truck and can just pull out and set up on a table. Prior to that, it seemed that we were always going back and forth to the trailer for some needed item.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #10

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The smaller the trailer the less important is full self-containment- including a complete galley- in terms of resale. I agree that being able to prepare and eat simple meals inside is a valuable thing for bad weather days. As long as you have a decent-sized counter, a butane burner and/or induction plate and a wash basin will serve. One advantage of not having a permanent stove and sink is you can stow the basin to make more room for cooking and stow the burner to make more room for clean-up. And you can take it all outside when the weather is nice, so there’s no duplication of appliances.

One safety warning on the butane burners... You cannot use larger pots that overhang the fuel canisters.
I agree with Jon. I ordered my 2014 Parkliner without a stove and never missed it in the 5 years I owned it. I used the butane cooker outside if the weather was good, or inside if not. I really liked having the extra counter space in the trailer. I did like the convenience of the inside sink. My current 2016 P/L has the same configuration.

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #11

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
You do what you want

For us, the whole point of the camper is to be able to get out of the weather. So not having a cooktop and sink would be a non-starter. In practice we do a LOT of Dutch oven cooking with charcoal. But we’ve learned that cleanup is best done outside to preserve grey tank space, and having a tub that fits in the sink makes this easy and efficient. It’s also nice not to have multiple fuel sources to keep track of...
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When we go camping , we want to make sure we have options
Propane , 12VDC , Indoor / outdoor cooking facilities , furnace / heat , bathroom , awning , A/C etc gives you options when it’s pouring rain , or it’s cold , or it’s windy , or the sun is beating down or the humidity / insects is /are so thick you can cut it with a knife or it’s snowing When you eliminate every option you might as well camp in a tent

If going camping means I have to be miserable then I ain’t going
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #13

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
The points about multiple fuel sources and having options are well taken. The last butane cooktop I bought is actually dual fuel, propane or butane. And has a hose to connect to a refillable propane cylinder. Here's one example: https://www.amazon.com/GS-3900P-Port...s%2C161&sr=8-3
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

I can verify this statement. Daughter and son-in-law placed a large frying pan on my butane stove. Reflected heat caused the butane cylinder to explode. Fragments were embedded in their cooler and shredded their tent fly. They were lucky nobody was near the stove.
They didn't want to use my new ( expensive ) butane stove on a recent camping trip, but once I explained the operator error they recanted. They loved how the butane stove heated a pot of water in a few minutes, unlike their propane stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Iwatani clos.png  
Old 06-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #15

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When we go camping , we want to make sure we have options
Propane , 12VDC , Indoor / outdoor cooking facilities , furnace / heat , bathroom , awning , A/C etc gives you options when it’s pouring rain , or it’s cold , or it’s windy , or the sun is beating down or the humidity / insects is /are so thick you can cut it with a knife or it’s snowing When you eliminate every option you might as well camp in a tent

If going camping means I have to be miserable then I ain’t going
🤔 Good point!
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thoughts on switching to an outdoor kitchen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I can verify this statement. Daughter and son-in-law placed a large frying pan on my butane stove. Reflected heat caused the butane cylinder to explode. Fragments were embedded in their cooler and shredded their tent fly. They were lucky nobody was near the stove.
I remember that post. Your experience and the dialogue that followed is exactly what alerted me to the issue. Since large pots and pans are the norm for us at our current season of life, it’s propane for now, with separate stoves for inside and outside.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #17

Name: Arthur
Trailer: Between RV's But Shopping
Mississippi
Ultimately Up To You ... BUT

You stated:

"Matt and I are both over 6 feet tall so actually can't stand up straight to be able to cook comfortably anyway!"

Being just under 6' 4", I know what it's like to deal with
a lower ceiling. I will never do so again. So, I have
to wonder just how much you plan to use the camper.
If quite a bit, I would bet you'll opt for something
different before too long. If a very limited use, then
perhaps you can deal with having a crooked neck at
the time.

With that in mind, I would say to do it the way you

want ... but perhaps in such a way that if you decide
to sell ... it would be easy to modify and add an indoor
kitchen space.

Hope that made sense ... just the ramblings of an old RVer.
Arthur II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:05 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
They didn't want to use my new ( expensive ) butane stove on a recent camping trip, but once I explained the operator error they recanted. They loved how the butane stove heated a pot of water in a few minutes, unlike their propane stove.
I have one of those same Iwatani butane stoves too. Fantastic little unit. I don't take it camping, but not that it wouldn't be a good accompaniment. I have it at home and it has proven invaluable during power outages, since our house is "all electric." You don't want to be around my house in the morning without the ability to brew a pot of coffee, (and I don't drink it.)
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #19

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloepp View Post
Hello! I am new here and am enjoying reading through all the forums for tips and tricks.

My fiancé and I recently bought a 1977 Beachcomber that overall is in pretty good condition and really just needs a good makeover. The plan is to take a road trip from Vancouver down the coast to the Pacific Coast Highway for our honeymoon after our wedding next summer (fingers crossed covid will allow this...)

My dad is a carpenter so with his help and direction we decided to gut the interior and start from scratch to make things more functional. We are currently in the planning stage and are considering what to do about the interior kitchen. To make better use of the space I am thinking that we may move to an outdoor cooking set up rather than re-install the burner and sink. Matt and I are both over 6 feet tall so actually can't stand up straight to be able to cook comfortably anyway! We tent camp a lot and enjoy cooking outdoors so this wouldn't be new to us. We would still have a countertop space and a fridge but that would basically be it for interior amenities.

I wonder though what your thoughts here are about this in terms of down the line re-sale value. Would it be ill-advisable to not include these amenities?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

AL
If you are thinking resale value I'd put in a 2 burner stove and a sink. Also if it is raining hard and blowing which it seems to d0 a lot now then you may need to make food or hot drinks indoors. If it is cold and you want a hot drink you won't want to go outside in the dark and do it. We cook in our trailer all the time. I hate fighting the bugs and mosquitos to do things outdoors like cooking. I like comfort and ease of things. We have a wet bath but don't use the shower much. We use campground bathrooms for showers. About 3 years ago my husband got food poisoning from eating out and was violently ill all night in the bathroom. So happy we had the bathroom. We were a long way from the campground ones and he couldn't even make it out the door of the trailer. So again comfort is utmost for us.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Outdoor cooking

Just an alternate take on outdoor cooking . I am active on the teardrop trailer forum as well as this one . Probably 999 out of 1000 teardrops have a rear outdoor kitchen and they all do just fine . Actually it is in many way a positive . When we are all cooking it becomes kind of a communal thing with lots of shared recipes and interesting aromas and conversations . p,s, by the way if it is windy , rainy , or too cold there is always that great invention called a sandwich available . Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachcomber