Re-upholstery : Affordable Sunbrella Alternative & Source, Trillium 4500 quantities - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New Jersey
Re-upholstery : Affordable Sunbrella Alternative & Source, Trillium 4500 quantities

Hey All,

I am re-upholstering the cushions in my Trillium 4500. Some of this information is buried in other threads but some is not. Hopefully, it can help someone by being consolidated.

I was looking for quality indoor/outdoor fabric for the cushion top fabric that is still comfortable. Sunbrella is the standard bearer for that but it is super expensive. However, I stumbled upon the brand Outdura is the same type of fabric (some sites indicated they may even source the raw material from the same supplier) and its generally a bit more affordable.

I got an okay deal on ebay. With shipping, I paid about $17/yd as opposed to about $25-$30+ elsewhere (eh!). The marine vinyl for the bottom was about $10/yd. BUT, I just stumbled upon fabricguru.com. They have the same Oudura fabric for $12/yd and the marine vinyl for $9/yd. But I can still save a few bucks on blackout curtain liner.

I am pleased with the fabric I received but it would ahve been nice to save another $60. In addition, shopping on fabricguru.com would have saved me some time and allowed me to proceed with more confidence b/c you can order samples. The website also has a lot more options for those fabrics and others in one place rather than having to hunt for it on ebay.

FYI, I purchased 10 yards of top fabric and 7 yards for the bottoms. If the upholsterer can use the full 54" width of the fabrics to cover the 53-54"-ish width of the trillium 4500 bed cushions I might have a yard extra of the top-side fabric and two extra for the bottom (not including waste strips) but if she decides she needs a little more than the 54" width than the amounts I ordered should prevent her from having to put seams across the top and bottom of the fabric. I will update the quantities once they are complete.
junglejim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #2

Name: Larry
Trailer: Toyota Dolphin
Montana
Narrowing down fabric recommendations

Thanks for the fabricguru.com reference. Did you select a fabric under "outdoor" or "upholstery"? Any other suggestions regarding fabric that might hold up best with pets?
lnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
That is great information! Thank you!
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #4

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Darn, I live in Canada and they only ship to USA.
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
/the/ most durable stuff I've ever seen is the 'MB Tex' vinyl used on 80s/90s Mercedes. Cars with 300K miles, the seats still look almost new. In europe, it was called 'taxi leather', but in fact is some sort of german naugahyde. its perforated so it breathes.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

New Jersey
Larry, I stumbled upon the "Outdura" fabric while researching and cross-referencing different websites and blogs. Google led me to Fabricguru.com when I searched my specific fabric earlier. I just typed in "outdura" in the Fabricguru search bar and pages of results popped up.

From what I can tell Outdura makes an 8.5 oz fabric (which is what I purchased) and a heavier fabric. The outdura "rumor" fabric which I purchased seems durable but still pretty soft and is more of a knit which I did not expect but am impressed with. You would not think it's an outdoor fabric. The heavier fabric seems more toward umbrellas and awnings but they still say can be used for cushions. It might be worth calling fabricguru to get a real perspective.

As far is pets go, I have a couple cats which have destroyed everything we have thrown at them, especially leather. The only thing they haven't shown interest in is a stretchy slip cover which did not give them the same joy to dig their nails into. I think the 8.5 oz outdura fabric is probably durable enough a dog with trimmed nails.

If I were going for indestructible, I would go for 500 or 1000 denier cordura nylon. I have climbing pack made of the 500d and many real climbers (not me) swear by its ability to stand up to regular encounters with rocks, spills and crampons for years (look up Cold Cold World packs). I had car seats made of it once upon a time and now that I think about it would probably be a great option for a camper that is gonna see tough love and still be pretty comfortable, no less than a self inflating-camp mattress. Lots of aftermarket car seat covers are made of it.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #7

New Jersey
FYI , cordura is not particularly UV resistant if you don't have good curtains...
Old 06-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #8

Name: Vivienne
Trailer: Sun Trek 1998 "Wannabe"
Michigan
Whoooooie Doggies! Thank you for the website. I have not ordered my fabric for my reupholstering project yet. Big smile and thank you.
Ladyofthelakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
WOW, makes me feel cheap indeed. I bought Walmart's "outdoor" fabric (lovely big ferny leaf print, good for multi-directional use) for $5.98 or $6.98 a yard. I got 2 bolts of 10 yards each, and am redoing ALL of my patio furniture with it. It sews up like a dream. It's 100% polyester and has a wonderful hand and I love the design. If I were going to do the inside of Peanut again, I'd use Walmart's $5.98 a yard "upholstery" cotton, good hand, sews up well, washable, good choice of prints...most can be ordered online but going in to the store often gives far better prices. Be sure to get enough. We've been lucky both times and have found more bolts, but sometimes in different stores.

Good luck whatever you choose, doing a project can be so fulfilling!

BEST
Kai

(Believe it or not, BOTH purchases felt like real splurges to me...as I said, I feel quite cheap now. Let's just call it "frugal" and leave it at that. I guess if I were doing rock climbing or had cats, I'd have to up my game considerably. The pugs haven't made a dent in either of these fabrics; not for lack of trying, either.)
Old 06-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #10

New Jersey
Kai,

You are killing me. I hear you on enjoying a good deal, I have just spent 4 hours crafting a new bolt for my bargman door hardware so I don't have to pay $600 on a replacement.

I really like the fabric I bought so I don't have total buyers remorse, but a look at walmart's site is showing 68" wide polyester fabric at $5.29 - Pretty awesome!

Now another look at fabricguru is really killing me. I only really searched my color style of fabric on the website since the ebay purchase was already made. I am now seeing other Outdura fabrics for $6.95! I think next time I will not let color entirely steer my decision.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Another source for outdoor fabric is www.Joann.com. They run sales frequently, so it's worth it to get on their snail-mail AND e-mail list. If you have a store nearby you can look at their inventory AND they sell via the Internet. On their website go to their drop-down menu in this order; DEPARTMENTS: Fabric: Home Decor Fabric: Outdoor Fabric. You can also choose "Utility Fabric", "Upholstery Fabric" (light, medium, heavy, "Vinyl".
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Outdura doesn't seem to have a very interesting choice of patterns or wide range of colors.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Gilda,

I bought a couple yards of "stiff" fabric in the clearance section of JoAnn's--the kind stacked in untidy heaps near the back of the store--to use as backing for several large wall pockets for Peanut, and only later realized that was "outdoor fabric..." at 60% off an original price of $7.98 a yard. Used it all, and wish I'd bought the rest of the bolt! Now that I think of it, I should go back and see if there's any left. It was super to work with, and I need some better drink pockets on the seat covers I'm working on for our two camp chairs.

junglejim83,

I know the feeling, having done it myself too many times.
I'm sure you got very good fabric that wasn't available cheaper, and am happy for you that you really like the fabric. "Payer's remorse," maybe.

Wishing you much success with your project! I do love projects! Mine, or anyone else's. If you get a chance to post pics, we do love pics here!

Kai

Tags
trillium