Overpriced in Cali - Havasu and more - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 01:37 AM   #1

Name: Harriet
Trailer: Wtd: Something Tiny!
California
Overpriced in Cali - Havasu and more

Hi there. I've been looking at what Havasu's have sold for - on here and Ebay - and none are even close to the $6200 price tag on the one I'm looking at. It's not in perfect condition at all, and I offered $5K which was a no-go. It is thousands of $'s more than the one in Awesome condition that was recently on Ebay. But, it's in California. And Everything in California is absolutely bonkers price-wise. So frustrated!!! Do you think the fact that it's so rare justifies the price? I'm trying to find a reason to pay that much because it's adorable and it's available, and I haven't (yet) have someone step on my head to grab it before me.

Thanks for any advice! Harriet

Veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:59 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Suppose it was in New Jersey at $5000. How much would it cost to go get it? Would you buy it sight unseen? If it really is the perfect camper for you then the cost is secondary and will soon be forgotten. While another one will come up, you aren't getting any younger. If you buy it, pictures would be nice. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:21 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggiegirl View Post
Hi there. I've been looking at what Havasu's have sold for - on here and Ebay - and none are even close to the $6200 price tag on the one I'm looking at. It's not in perfect condition at all, and I offered $5K which was a no-go. It is thousands of $'s more than the one in Awesome condition that was recently on Ebay. But, it's in California. And Everything in California is absolutely bonkers price-wise. So frustrated!!! Do you think the fact that it's so rare justifies the price? I'm trying to find a reason to pay that much because it's adorable and it's available, and I haven't (yet) have someone step on my head to grab it before me.
Thanks for any advice! Harriet
Yup, understand the CA prices but rare doesn't automatically mean more $, condition is the key. If you're good with your offer, leave them your # and see what happens......others may not think it's worth the asking price and you may end up being a happy owner. Bottom line, some times you just have to walk away and keep looking. Good luck to you, the right ones out there .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:51 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
First, it definitely looks overpriced to me.

What is your time and convenience worth? Many sellers asking way too much are very patient. Expecting them to be reasonable, or realistic, can be a waste of time.

Either over pay or move on and keep looking. Me I am patient, so I would keep looking. But I also have a large enough tow vehicle that I have many more options I can consider.

I can say market priced (not overpriced) F/G molded trailers in good condition of this age do not last long, more like hours. It can be frustrating looking for a trailer when you have to pounce and decide immediately. We drove 400 miles ONE way for our trailer. What's driving 400 miles one way worth?

Rarity doesn't affect value, BUT, if its exactly what you want, convenient to where you live, yes, expect to pay a premium.

If you are patient, trailer is similar to a Compact Jr and a couple of other brands, except it has a permanent fiberglass top instead of a canvas sided adjustable top. That makes this camper taller (won't fit in as many garages).

Ad sounds like seller put a ton of work into it. Often, they will be less flexible' knowing the hours and $$ they have spent on it. Eventually they might come around, but I doubt it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Anytime one of my daughters came to me for money to buy something that was " Cute " or " Adorable" , I automatically knew it was overpriced , there would be no rational discussion and I would end up paying.
If this is the trailer you just "GOTTA" have , buy it ,enjoy it and move on.
$1200 in the scheme of things is not that much money !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:44 AM   #6

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Last year it sold one at $1,600 in Oregon, with a little work to do.
You have to be patient and very lucky to find such a discount.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...orum-topic-top

In California, 2 years ago, $2,950:

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...50-northern-ca

Good luck,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I looked at the ad. I don't think the price is really out of line. The sellers have replaced a lot of the expensive items:

"We installed the following new items: 1) 3-way Dometic refrigerator, 2) water tanks -- 12 gallon fresh and gray, 3) water pump, 4) custom window blinds, 5) PD-4045 controller (way overkill), 6) 100-watt solar charging system, 7) two 6-volt deep cycle batteries, 8) inverter (for charging cell phones, etc.), 9) Fantastic vent (wonderful addition!), 10) LED lights, 11) high-density foam cushions."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Calif isn't the only place people are asking big money for FG trailers.
I follow prices in BC Canada. People are asking 5G for a "project" boler.
I've seen NICE Bolers for over 11G listed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If this is the trailer you just "GOTTA" have , buy it ,enjoy it and move on.
$1200 in the scheme of things is not that much money !
"Last year it sold one at $1,600 in Oregon, with a little work to do.
You have to be patient and very lucky to find such a discount."

If they're cheap you almost have to be a good neighbour or close friend to get it, then spend TIME,,, and MONEY before you can go camping.
Can use it as is for this year then start some updating,,, .
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I looked at the ad. I don't think the price is really out of line. The sellers have replaced a lot of the expensive items:

"We installed the following new items: 1) 3-way Dometic refrigerator, 2) water tanks -- 12 gallon fresh and gray, 3) water pump, 4) custom window blinds, 5) PD-4045 controller (way overkill), 6) 100-watt solar charging system, 7) two 6-volt deep cycle batteries, 8) inverter (for charging cell phones, etc.), 9) Fantastic vent (wonderful addition!), 10) LED lights, 11) high-density foam cushions."
May be.
I thought the seller may have had some urgency to sell at that price,
Old 04-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #10

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
If the trailer is what you want and you can use it right away just buy it. The ones with a little to do usually end up costing that much anyway. It's time versus money, and the season is upon us. Be good with whatever you do. I went to Canada and the price was a bit higher, maybe. Never looked back, just lovin' it...
California Bay Area
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #11

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
My old granny used to say - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If I was deciding I'd buy it if I had the money. Prices are going up regularly on FG campers - and this one has some improvements and is available.

Hubby and I were chatting the other day and he let drop that someone had asked about buying our Trilium . It isn't for sale but we figured we'd ask $6000. It is pretty much original apart from some minor, cheap mods - like shelves in the closet. If the only offer we got was a bit less we could go down.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You ask too many questions and take too long to decide, you lose the camper, I am sorry to say. I was one of those who bought the fiberglass camper, sight unseen and 3 states away, while someone was asking too many questions.

If it is what you want, buy it.

CindyL
Old 04-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sadly in the world of molded trailers, you can spend a long time finding a deal. Meanwhile, you are missing out on the camping season (or two camping seasons, or more)!

Sometimes it is better to overpay to get a camper now rather than waiting. Only you can decide.

It's a balance: how long have you been looking, how aggressively? Are you willing/able to drive further for a deal? Can you launch for a deal any day of week?

I sold my last molded trailer in four hours. I priced it low to move, but not give away. Probably about $1000 under market. I had already bought its replacement so I was ready to move on.

Bought my last two on the first day they were for sale. Both were OK deals but not super deals. Super deals are unicorns. Good/fair deals are more realistic. Some are definitely over priced. To be fair to sellers, it's kind of hard to figure out value on the older stuff (40year old trailers). Newer trailers are easier to price. Molded trailers are relatively rare, so finding one for sale in your area that meets your requirements is even rarer, my last trailer purchase was 400 miles away, one way....
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
No one wants to overpay for anything and buying anything used has its risk factors . Rushing into a decision can be as bad as delaying a decision. Being apprehensive / cautious is NOT a character flaw .
I for one would not pay 20 or 30 or 40 % more for a luxury item no matter how neat or fun it seems.
We have been looking at buying an Escape and we are constantly admonished that we should order know cause we are loosing time and memories. That reasoning doesn't work for me.
I don't take spending thousands of dollars lightly .
It's your money and life and you need to do what's best for you
even if it means passing up the sale of the century.
If you don't get this trailer , cute or not , life will go on and you can still have fond memories.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My thought exactly. If you aren't comfortable, let it pass. Unless you really have your mind set on a Havasu in particular, there are more fish in the sea. Fall is a better time to buy. Coastal SoCal is crazy, but I have seen decent deals further inland.

It doesn't have to mean missing a camping season. It's called a tent. Or a small tent trailer. Or...

For that kind of money I would be inclined to camp in a tent for a while, save a few more pennies, and buy a brand new Scamp. If a genuinely good deal on a used egg came up in the meantime, so much the better.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My story is the same kind of idea, but for a different item.

I have wanted a beautiful working treadle sewing machine since my teens. I am now 60 something. We are re-doing our "Family Fun Room" which has a generous sewing corner planned for me. We're "on a roll" with the decorating having discussed the furniture, built-ins and accessories as well as budget. I drew sketches and created a "mood board". (This is a collage of colors, fabrics, styles, etc. that you like.) As soon as I said to myself that it was time to get a treadle sewing machine I not only found one with my name on it on Craig's List the same day, it was 1 mile from my home, it was the right price AND the owner delivered it for free! Attached is a photo.

I suppose my message is, prepare yourself to welcome an endearing item or experience into your home and life and one way or another you will make it will happen.
Attached Thumbnails
4.2017 Italian Fest and Treadle Sewing Machine 008.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #17

Name: Janet
Trailer: Havasu
California
Registry
Havasu Camper

The Havasu that someone mentioned for sale in California for $2950 was the one we bought. Everything inside was pretty much rotten (wood cabinets, etc) and had to be removed. The people told us the fridge worked but it hadn't worked in years -- and the camper had no batteries, no wiring, no nothing. We added over $2000 of brand new top-notch appliances and fixtures (listed in ad) and paid a lot of people too much money to try to get it fixed up. We probably spent over $8,000 -- not your problem but ours. It is unique and rare and really a gem in the rough and we think it is worth the $, especially with the market here in California. We would be willing to talk about price with someone who might be truly interested. We also are throwing in brand new headliner material (we paid over $400) for insulation if desired.
janet berrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #18

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet berrian View Post
The Havasu that someone mentioned for sale in California for $2950 was the one we bought. Everything inside was pretty much rotten (wood cabinets, etc) and had to be removed. The people told us the fridge worked but it hadn't worked in years -- and the camper had no batteries, no wiring, no nothing. We added over $2000 of brand new top-notch appliances and fixtures (listed in ad) and paid a lot of people too much money to try to get it fixed up. We probably spent over $8,000 -- not your problem but ours. It is unique and rare and really a gem in the rough and we think it is worth the $, especially with the market here in California. We would be willing to talk about price with someone who might be truly interested. We also are throwing in brand new headliner material (we paid over $400) for insulation if desired.
Congratulations on renovations! (In the Registry)
You seem to have made a little gem
It is now a question of finding the person to whom it is appropriate and who is willing to continue polishing it.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Donna makes some good points. Check out the price of 3-way Dometic fridges (owch!!). It sounds like it has a lot of goodies added. And already set up for solar is very nice.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #20

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Did you buy it?

Harriet, did you buy it?
I guess I have to agree with those that say a cheaper one would cost that much anyway. I paid $5,000 for my Compact Junior (similar to Havasu but with material pop-top) for a usable and not-rotten trailer, but I'm sure I've invested at least a couple thousand on getting all the systems to work and doing modifications (with my brother's skillful hand). The "pay now or pay later" plan, I'd say.
Attached Thumbnails
CJwithawnings3.jpg  
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
havasu