1975 Surfside FG refurb by Armadillo Trailers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: SurfSide
British Columbia
75 Surfside shelf

Hi Danny, We have a 75 Surfside with the front kitchen as well. One of the previous owners took that rear shelf and changed it into an overhead cabinet. We use it only for storing clothes. I recently changed out the rear and side windows to new ones with curved corners (the old Jalousie windows leaked badly and although I installed news winders etc) still couldn’t stop the leaks. Very happy with the new ones. In doing the change out, I noticed the wood frames. In my mind, they are not strong enough to hold any considerable weight and would feel the main weight would bear on the window frames themselves. Others may have a different opinion.
Gordon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #22

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 1975 Surfside (not Triple E)
British Columbia
I will give more details but a cautionary tale about my bunk is that it has proved a bit tight in the headroom and only my youngest will sleep up there. I am devising a plan to lower it.

My kids have sensory issues however and many kids would be fine.

Congratulations on the surfside! Not alot of FG models out there
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #23

Name: Greg
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Thanks for the replies team. Much appreciated. That 75 fell through but there is another one around the corner potentially. I am thinking we are fine for the mean time with a monsterous bed (two of us and a newborn) and can figure out a bunk setup for later. Part of me was wondering if there was a way to make two bunks (one on each side) that run lengthwise and almost four post them using the benches as the main support. So mom and dad sleep under on the queen horizontal, and kiddos sleep on bunks above vertical.
DannyNoonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #24

Alberta
Sort of like the top bunk of the dinette style....but over the back bed with four posts and just a directional rather than weight bearing latch by the windows
Old 04-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #25

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 1975 Surfside (not Triple E)
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyNoonan View Post
Thanks for the replies team. Much appreciated. That 75 fell through but there is another one around the corner potentially. I am thinking we are fine for the mean time with a monsterous bed (two of us and a newborn) and can figure out a bunk setup for later. Part of me was wondering if there was a way to make two bunks (one on each side) that run lengthwise and almost four post them using the benches as the main support. So mom and dad sleep under on the queen horizontal, and kiddos sleep on bunks above vertical.
We sleep 2 adults, 8yr and 5yr side by side no problem. It's just a hair shy of king size, definitely bigger than a queen. I was also developing a plan to support bunk from below, but its not yet a problem for us
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #26

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
We sleep 2 adults, 8yr and 5yr side by side no problem. It's just a hair shy of king size, definitely bigger than a queen. I was also developing a plan to support bunk from below, but its not yet a problem for us
Thanks Kipper. That’s actually super helpful. Basically sounds like a super comfy and dry and warm big tent for the gang. We’re just two and a newborn and a dog right now, but trying to get the right unit for us to use now and grow into. I love this setup and love the idea of a true sized bed so the fact you made that work well is really reassuring. Now let’s just hope the trailer isn’t a heap when I drive out to see it .
Old 04-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #27

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1979 Boler
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyNoonan View Post
Sort of like the top bunk of the dinette style....but over the back bed with four posts and just a directional rather than weight bearing latch by the windows
Did you ever try this? This is exactly what we would like to do. We want to add a bunk over dinette without putting the support on the FG wall since there are no “studs” in the trailer wall like a traditional house construction. Wondering if anyone has built a bunk with 4 detachable posts from the dinette.

Thanks!
Jenny and Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armadillo, surfside