30 amp receptacle & plug incompatabiity - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2022, 02:07 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
30 amp receptacle & plug incompatabiity

Hi, I'm to the point of wiring up all of the Surfside circuits (and a few more) that were removed by the previous owner. I have the converter and AC/DC, e-brake circuits all in. Was finally going to do the AC receptacle to the converter. Got my "30 amp Aleko RV inlet" and my "25 ft 30 amp Camco RV extension cord" from Walmart today.....they don't fit because the ground on the inlet is a right angle, and the ground on the cord is round. For some reason I can't find any posts online where others have had this issue...makes me feel dumb! Is one a Canadian standard and the other American? Or is this Aleko a marine inlet mislabeled as RV? Or is there a difference between and extension cord and an inlet cord? I assumed 30 amp "RV receptacle" and "RV cord" connections would be standardized. I'm sure many know the reason and wouldn't mind sharing. I've done lots of automotive and household electrical work, but I have not done this particular job before. Thanks
Mark in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:05 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks very much..

Thank you Jon. At least I can install the correct inlet with some confidence now! That's what I have. I had no idea what was there before as the PO removed everything electrical decades ago. It gets confusing because it is also possible to buy an inlet with the TT-30 straight blade connectors apparently - also called a 30 amp RV inlet (probably for those using the extension cord). I suppose there is probably a dog-bone adapter that goes from L5-30R to TT-30 female I could buy, or just replace the TT-30 end on the cord (hate to modify a brand new cord). I'll stick to the standard inlet and work from there. Thanks again for the information. Hope some other newbie benefits!
Old 04-09-2022, 07:47 PM   #4

Name: Fritz
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
The twist lock is more common than the straight blade. Fyi
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:05 AM   #5

British Columbia
Thank you

Thanks Fritz. It's good to know which one is best to go to the trouble of installing.
Old 04-10-2022, 11:07 AM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Three standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Vancouver View Post
Got my "30 amp Aleko RV inlet" and my "25 ft 30 amp Camco RV extension cord" from Walmart today.....they don't fit because the ground on the inlet is a right angle, and the ground on the cord is round.
I have 3 different 30 amp plugs,The end of the cord that plugs into the RV, the end of the cord that hooks up to the campground pedestal, and the 30 amp twist lock on the Honda generator. One compartment in the Scamp is devoted to pigtails, adapters and the surge suppressor. The picture is of a QUALITY pedestal and may not be what you find at all campsites
Attached Thumbnails
50-amp-rv-box-with-breaker-nearly-all-sites-have-a-pedestal-providing-all-3-power-sources-amp-am.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Layton 22 ft / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
Last year, I reconfigured the 'Captive' (connected direct to power centre main breaker) power cord, I got tired of the mice using it as a bridge into the RV. I installed The same type of Twist-Lock' 'Inlet' that you have, and would never go back.
As a 'Canuck', you will discover that most of the cheap 125V, 15A/RV-30 adapters do not suit outlets installed per CSA standards (they force your cord to loop upwards and place strain on the outlet). Buy this one: https://www.princessauto.com/en/15a-...t/PA0008689028
Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:17 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Hi Mark. I have a 50 amp receptacle on my 17' Boler and a 30 amp cord. I bought a dog bone connector to make both work. ( the 50 amp was in clearance at Camping World for $20). There are many different types of dog bones and plug adapters. Have you tried looking for any of the adapters?.
By the way, I'm in Maple Ridge if you need a hand with your rebuild. If I'm free I can help.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 1990 13 ft Scamp / 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Registry
I believe the Aleko is a twist-lock connector; aren't the other two blades slightly curved? I would use it and add a female twist-lock female connector to your extension cord. That's the setup I have on my class B camper.
Conrad S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:19 PM   #10

Name: Arne
Trailer: '65 Oasis
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Vancouver View Post
Thank you Jon. At least I can install the correct inlet with some confidence now! That's what I have. I had no idea what was there before as the PO removed everything electrical decades ago. It gets confusing because it is also possible to buy an inlet with the TT-30 straight blade connectors apparently - also called a 30 amp RV inlet (probably for those using the extension cord). I suppose there is probably a dog-bone adapter that goes from L5-30R to TT-30 female I could buy, or just replace the TT-30 end on the cord (hate to modify a brand new cord). I'll stick to the standard inlet and work from there. Thanks again for the information. Hope some other newbie benefits!
Wow... lol... am I glad I read your post! I have a new inlet to install in my '65 Oasis (that currently has a TT-30 "dongle" sticking out a hole in the bottom of the trailer), and so I purchased a new inlet. I dug out and checked my cord and sure enough... the inlet is a L5-30R and my (near new) heavy duty cord is a TT-30.

At the end of the day, and while I agree that the marine-style twist lock is an upgrade, considering the price of a new cord and/or that an adapter is more expensive than exchanging what I have for a new TT-30 inlet plug, it made the most sense (for me) to exchange my L5-30R inlet plug for a TT-30.

Thanks!
StrikingViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:12 PM   #11

British Columbia
Oh, thanks for the picture. I've never hooked up to anything in my life and didn't even know what was offered at a pedistal. I have the 30 amp flat and an adapter to normal 15 amp. I hope that covers most otherwise I'm off grid! They wouldn't expect people to carry 50 amp adapter too I hope....the things are not cheap!
Old 04-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #12

British Columbia
We shop at the same fine establishments! That's exactly what I bought to plug the 30 amp male into in case 15 amp was all that was there. I read something about the dogbone connectors to the effect that they sometimes connect upside down. Had visions of a kid running into it and breaking it off, so I went with the "puck" adapter at the other end....wise choice I think.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #13

British Columbia
Hey Stephan, thanks for the offer! Very kind of you. I'm in the last phases of getting this thing usable. I'm going to haul my mom to Sask in June on a little covid adventure. So, I'm just getting the electrical buttoned down. I would make no money as an electrician - much too slow. A whole week of wiring. I looked at buying one of those 17 bolers. A couple have been online over the winter that were in very nice condition. Just little too heavy for my 96 4runner. But they were nice...made in good old Oyama (or was it Winfield) BC if I remember correctly.

Tags
surfside