Lots of Scamp modifications - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I found some pictures of someone else's trailer that reminded me of what condition mine was when I first bought my Scamp Trailer. The condition is very very similar to what I faced when I brought this wreck home
<text edited>
But I allways wanted an egg.
Umm, hey those are pictures (the wreck you posted) of my trailer now
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Roy,
That's your trailer now?
I'm serious that mine was in that same condition.
No offense that I said it was hardly worth it.
As you know, being a man of vision, that indeed it is worth it.
What an exciting adventure you'll be starting.
I wish you patience and low costs.
tom

Quote:
Umm, hey those are pictures of my trailer now
Thomas Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #23
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Oh, thanks a lot, Tom!

Now I've got to go back and correct about a jillion posts where I said, "I sure wish somebody had saved some of Thomas Haney's pics of his Scamp!"

Seriously, you have no idea how much it hurt to lose the pics of your Skimp. A heartfelt thank you for reposting them, and for taking the time and trouble to reconstruct the narrative that goes with them!!

BTW, Sherry's trailer's a hoot. I'll bet y'all get lots of "conversation" if/when you camp together!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
It was really fun to see these posts again. Still inspirational. Thanks. Now I have to go look for some pc11.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #25

Mary & Maggie O,

I'm still missing some of the pics which were in the original post, I've gone through a couple of hard drive upgrades and that's life.

So this will have to do.

PS
Its really nice to be remembered.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks Thomas for reposting.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
What a GREAT Trailer!!!! WOW. My hat's off to anyone who is so handy.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just such a great job on the work-over. What an artist also, done by freehand.
Mike jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #29

Trailer: 13 ft 1980 Burro
Tom, a really great job. An added benefit of your outside frame would be to support a tarp cover when you're not in camping season. Being raised from the trailer, it would allow air to circulate and the trailer to "breathe."

Bob
Bob Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
wow, tom wow, wow
tell us more about the great outdoor cooking equipment and where did you get the great light on your countertop?

did a great job on the exterior too. not too many folks can take their gardens with them when they go camping. those flowers sure are drought hardy, too!

all in all thanks, alice
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
That is the kind of thing that amazes me. To be able to restore such a wreck of a trailer into a beautiful RV. I am stunned at the ingenuity.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #32

Bob,
You're right about the tarp. I have done exactly that. There's nothing like having your camper in the shade. Though preferably a large oak tree, sometimes you have to make do.

Potteralice,
I have a pair of those great little goose neck lights. I got them from a flea market and they are the interior lights from an old 1970's cop car. They are really well made, and since I had them, I could think of no better place to put one. The other is actually mounted on the dash of my car.

The Cooking gear... I restored a turn of the century (before the most recent one) cast iron three burner stove. It has ornate scroll work and I re-jetted it to use propane instead of natural gas. But functionally, I like my Coleman Road Trip grill in the picture below. It works on the table top if I don't want the legs, the cover comes off, the grills are replaceable with griddles or stove grates. Plus, I do the setup of the kitchen for 25 people at Burningman, so I have a lot of stuff if I want to bring any of it.

And Bob,
Thank you for the kind words.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #33

Pictured here is that old stove mentioned above. I actually have it set up for use also in the home. I found it burried in dirt in a dump. It was rusty and all the pipes were even filled with dirt.

The heater is an old "Humphrey Radiant Fire" gas fireplace insert from the 'twentys.
I had the brass replated and took out the old "candles" which burned natural gas and replace the entire gas mechanism with the guts of an Olympian Catalytic propane heater.
It is really toasty and very efficient.
Attached Thumbnails
heater.jpg   old_stove.jpg  

Old 05-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #34

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1978
Hey Roy! When are you bringing your baby home? I wanna see it!

Adam in Ayr
adamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #35

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You know, everytime I read posts like this I am overwhelmed by the sheer artistry so many members of this group show. Whether it is simple curtains or complete rebuilds, I am never disappointed by the workmanship, design, and ability of our members .

Do you suppose there is something about our little units that attract so many really creative people ?
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #36

Quote:
You know, everytime I read posts like this I am overwhelmed by the sheer artistry so many members of this group show. Whether it is simple curtains or complete rebuilds, I am never disappointed by the workmanship, design, and ability of our members .

Do you suppose there is something about our little units that attract so many really creative people ?
I think there is something to that. All of the people I've met with fiberglass RVs are unique individuals with a lot of talent in some field.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #37

Thanks Bob and Judy,

I think that if I could have afforded to buy a spanking new trailer I might not have had the guts nor inspiration to become creative. It really would have been much easier.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #38

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
oh,tom......

i knew i should not have listened to the practical side of my nature when it told me that my beautiful antique propane heater with the ceramic openwork gas tubes was never going to be fixed and that since i had held on to it for 20 years already, it was time to throw it away. (but i did cry when the "handyman" i hired to clean out the tool room broke it up in pieces to fit it into the trash can.)

seeing yours makes me glad that there are folks who fix things and don't just go out and buy the newest available.

i have also seen the kind of gas burner unit you have and wondered if it was practical. yep! it is.

well, at least i still have the tiny coal stove that was once on a yacht. can't find a good use for it either but it sure is pretty.

burningman huh. is it really as wild as i hear?
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #39

Potteralice,

Now you make me cry too. You know, they just don't make things like they used to.
Now its all driven by function and cost. Style takes a far back seat. My antique tabletop stove is very practical. Not even my modern unit heats up a pot of coffee as fast or in such style. Notice in the pictures, even though it looks like there is only two burners, there are three knobs. The third knob runs a third burner in the middle of the biggest burner. It is a mini burner for just keeping things warm. Or it can be used in conjunction with the outer bigger burner bringing a pot of water to a faster boil. I sure wish I would have been YOUR handyman.

Burningman is not so much wild as it is awesomely creative. Last year someone made that Rube Goldberg mousetrap game only a hundred feet long. Instead of rolling marbles it used bowling balls. See picture. also, how 'bout these little cupcakes for a tow rig? Many of the pieces of art people make you can actually ride on. Other pieces of work might remind you of childhood. How about this oversize game of "Operation" that will actually give you a shock if you light up the patience nose.

Wild, if that's what you want to call it. Amazing is what I would say.
Attached Thumbnails
40655585_12e5198a7b.jpg   40670527_8cb84540ee.jpg  

operation.jpg   mousetrap.jpg  

Old 05-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #40

Last year someone showed me a video of a car commercial that used many car parts and a kind of domino effect. To which I replied,

"Somewhere, Rube Goldberg is smiling."

And the person to whom I had spoken had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. She hadn't the foggiest who the heck Rube Goldberg was.

Tags
scamp