Casita with front bath and side bunks, anyone order this layout? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #1

Name: Liz
Trailer: Shopping
Manitoba
Casita with front bath and side bunks, anyone order this layout?

I put down the deposit today! Just trying to sort out a few details. Got to talking about how we waited so long to order because we were going back and fourth as to if the bathroom or extra sleeping space was more worth it. Most all of our trips will be with fewer people but when most or all of the kids come along I know they’d appreciate beds, or at least fewer people in the tent/mattresses in the back of the suv.

I asked a question that had been bugging me: how do the ‘sleeps 6’ casitas actually sleep six? He said the dinette is replaced by bunk beds and not only that but they could do that with ours if we wanted it. Bathroom plus bunk beds. Sleeps 4 plus a bathroom (or me and two toddlers on the big bed so 5 plus a bathroom). We won’t be camping with that many very often but that sure would be nice when we do. The older kids would still be out in a tent but they prefer that unless the weather is truly awful in which case we pack up and go home or to a hotel.

The thing is the pictures make it look a tad cramped and it means folding up the bed every single day to have a place to sit when it’s just a few of us going which will be the vast majority of our trips. It does look nicely done in the pictures though, I’ll say that.

So does anyone have this layout or been in a casita that has it in person? Can you still move around enough to use the kitchen area? Does it feel like a living space or a barracks?
truenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #2

Manitoba
Here are some pictures, hope they work, not sure if I uploaded them correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
F6157F66-D763-4AB6-8D47-A3592DE24FA6.jpg   04AE5B21-B527-4C61-8B0D-B2391D2BB4D0.jpg  

114815FF-00E3-4E18-8B90-3637A2BEF54A.jpg  
Old 05-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita with front bath and side bunks, anyone order this layout?

There’s a Casita Spirit for sale right now in the classifieds that has an owner-built removable bunk in the side dinette space. Looks pretty clever and easy to take in and out.

https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.co...tdeluxe-sd-261

Advantages: bring it only when you need it, keep the large window, side dinette table makes extra food prep space when the bunk’s not in use, buy used and save $$ for travel. Win-win.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #4

Manitoba
Thanks for the reply. That one sounds great but I’ve already put down my deposit with the factory. I ordered it with the dinette after deciding that having all that unusable space would drive me nuts when camping with just two.

Then, the day after signing the finalized paperwork, I saw a picture online where the bunks were a couch. I didn’t know if that’s how it came from the factory or if it was a custom thing someone had done (which I know we’re not handy enough to attempt) or if it was only available with front bunks in a standard (which was the model in the picture).

I called our salesperson right away to ask about it. Turns out the bunks/couch thing is factory standard regardless of if the bunks are front or side. As of Friday afternoon he’s looking into if it can be changed. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #5

Manitoba
We ordered new because I like the new colors. We live less than a days drive from the scamp factory but we’re in our mid 30’s and couldn’t bring ourselves to get a camper that looks straight out of our early childhoods (I apologize if that sounds harsh and I know many people prefer the warm wood style but it’s just not our style). Casita trailers seem well regarded and hold their value plus with the 2019 redesign they’re the least expensive fiberglass trailer with a modern look so that’s why we went with them and bought new.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
I put down the deposit today! Just trying to sort out a few details. Got to talking about how we waited so long to order because we were going back and fourth as to if the bathroom or extra sleeping space was more worth it. Most all of our trips will be with fewer people but when most or all of the kids come along I know they’d appreciate beds, or at least fewer people in the tent/mattresses in the back of the suv.

I asked a question that had been bugging me: how do the ‘sleeps 6’ casitas actually sleep six? He said the dinette is replaced by bunk beds and not only that but they could do that with ours if we wanted it. Bathroom plus bunk beds. Sleeps 4 plus a bathroom (or me and two toddlers on the big bed so 5 plus a bathroom). We won’t be camping with that many very often but that sure would be nice when we do. The older kids would still be out in a tent but they prefer that unless the weather is truly awful in which case we pack up and go home or to a hotel.

The thing is the pictures make it look a tad cramped and it means folding up the bed every single day to have a place to sit when it’s just a few of us going which will be the vast majority of our trips. It does look nicely done in the pictures though, I’ll say that.

So does anyone have this layout or been in a casita that has it in person? Can you still move around enough to use the kitchen area? Does it feel like a living space or a barracks?
What really going to drive you crazy is your wife complaining have to walk all the way to the camp restrooms at three in the morning, for us guys it's much easier to go outside. The tent for the kids is the way I've seen it done and camping in bad, or cold weather is probably not a good thing. Purchase what works for you and your wife, not for those few camping times that may, or may not happen. Purchasing a new $20,000 dollar Casita without a bathroom would have much less resale value then one with a bath, just something to think about. You can change your order with Casita at anytime before production starts, might just be worth the call to them.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
She’s buying the deluxe with the front bath and side sofa/bunk in place of the side dinette. Problem solved.

I’d miss the bigger window myself.

I agree the old decor was overdue for an update. That’s not hard to do yourself with paint and flooring on a used unit. However, nothing wrong with new, either!

Congratulations on the order. When’s delivery?
Old 05-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #8

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
What really going to drive you crazy is your wife complaining have to walk all the way to the camp restrooms at three in the morning, for us guys it's much easier to go outside. The tent for the kids is the way I've seen it done and camping in bad, or cold weather is probably not a good thing. Purchase what works for you and your wife, not for those few camping times that may, or may not happen. Purchasing a new $20,000 dollar Casita without a bathroom would have much less resale value then one with a bath, just something to think about. You can change your order with Casita at anytime before production starts, might just be worth the call to them.

trainman
I am the wife and yes, that is something I would complain about
Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #9

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
She’s buying the deluxe with the front bath and side sofa/bunk in place of the side dinette. Problem solved.

I’d miss the bigger window myself.

I agree the old decor was overdue for an update. That’s not hard to do yourself with paint and flooring on a used unit. However, nothing wrong with new, either!

Congratulations on the order. When’s delivery?
We have little kids and no time for a project although it would be nice to customize it to be just how we want it. At this stage in our lives buying new is worth the money to us for the warranty and knowing it will be ready to use besides possibly a few glitches that need tweeking before we head home with it.

We can pick it up June 13th. Crazy quick. They had someone who wanted a later pickup date and we were able to get the earlier slot. 38 days, including the day I signed the initial paperwork and the pickup day.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #10

Name: LARRY
Trailer: Currently Shopping
AR
Scamp with Bunks

We saw the layout at the factory showroom in April. Neat setup if you have children or are grandparents who take the children with you.
LTuckAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #11

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Talking Casita

Thwe 2 of us just got back from 18 days camping near St Pete FL, including 2 leisurely nigh camping each way to/from. Our rig is a 2018 Casita Independence w front bath and rear twin beds (83"x31" size)..plus it can be made into a single king size bed IF one wanted a third person in it.
We bought the Indy layout primarily bks it does have separate beds for two adults..there4 we do not wake the other if one happens to need to answar a call of nature at night..[no climbing over yer partner, etc] WE have made it into a 'king' ( to allow our grown daughter to come along) one time by dropping the two table tops into the center slot and adding the extra cushions we ordered w the trailer last spring. WE like the separate twin bedsa and their size
The beds have ample storage underneath as well and we find space for two WallMart clear plastic ~14" deep 'totes' to fit between the bead at the rear for more storage.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:01 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
So?

I've been looking at the same model, same reasons.

After a few months, how is it? Cramped? Comfortable? Kids like it?

Thanks!
thoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #13

Name: Brittany
Trailer: Casita
Illinois
Looking at the 17’ Heritage Deluxe model as well. We have two children, 5 and 3. Have the paperwork all set to go but now I’m hesitant. I’m wanting to add a third child soon. Am I a fool for purchasing a camper I’ve essentially grown out of or do I opt for the Spirit Standard (which would allow 5 to sleep comfortably, just no bathroom)!?

Escape is too far. Already looked into that option.

Bigfoot is too pricy.
bpowell487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:49 PM   #14

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Camping with 4

WE used our Casita Indy for two seasons..about 85-90 nights at least in 2 yrs..the conclusion we came to was that there was not going to be any real way to outfit it for four.. WE liked it w the 2 large twin, separate, rear 83"X 31" beds for the 2 of us..easy peasy to get up at night, etc..but no room to add anything like another bed for two kids.
The spaces between the rear beds and the front bathroom/large closet area are taken up by sink and stove on driver side and 6 cu ft frig on passenger side...leaving no room for adding anything like bunks.
We thought long and hard, looked at a buncha FG campers at various campgrounds and finally decided to buy an Escape-21, Gen-2: Front dbl bed, front wet bath, rear dbl bed/dinette layout, with customized extra storage cabinets, larger sink, etc factory installed. WE ordered what we wanted and it is now ready and we will make a trip to BC next Spring and 'camp our way home', as it were.
WE sold the Casita 2 days b4 we even put it on the market, for nearly what we paid for it in early 2018 No mistake..it was a great TT for the 2 of us, but we have all these new grandkids coming up and they will need the space. ;-)
One other thing..we did find it fairly difficult to access the under-bed storage bks there is only 14" space between those two twin beds.

Something to think about ..we used two plastic Sterilite 'stacker' Totes [18"x12-5/8"x13-1/4"]up between the beds, turned long side crossways, 2 totes jammed one in front of the other.. between the two cushions..hold alot of clothes, easy to get to and make a nice "night stand" for stuff..(we had the beds set up with head to rear of trailer) Of course, you hafta take OUT any cushions atop the rear storage area.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #15

Illinois
Well to accommodate my growing family we just purchased the 17’ Sprit Standard. I’m confident in our choice and can’t wait to have her delivered in March!

Has anyone had their trailer delivered?

We figured it’d be much easier than trying to find time to get down there.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, Brittney! Just in time for spring camping.

One nice thing about your Spirit standard compared to the Heritage deluxe (besides the extra bed) is you get both a front window and a large side window. We camp with four people in a tiny 13' Scamp, and when there are a lot of people in a relatively small space (such as might happen during a rainstorm), all the windows forestall cabin fever. When our kids were little, we discovered the dinette bed with a large blanket makes a great playroom on a rainy afternoon, and there are separate seating spaces for mom and dad.

They make pop-up shelters for a porta-potty so you don't have to trek to the campground toilets when kiddo needs to pee at 2am.

Most of the factory direct manufacturers offer a delivery option, but it’s not cheap. Scamp tows their trailers on the ground, so buyers don’t get a “pristine” unit. I believe Escape flatbeds them. Don’t know about Casita.

What is it- about two days down and two days back? In 2018 I drove an RV 2300 miles from MD to AZ in 3 days over a long weekend. I won’t say I was at my best at work the next day... LOL!

Cost aside, there is this. Many new RV’s come with a few glitches, some more than others. Casita has a pretty good reputation in that regard, but still... if possible it’s nice to camp a night or two in the vicinity as a shakedown. Of course March may still be cold enough to require winterizing in Illinois, so you may not want to test the plumbing anyway.

Pickup is better if you can squeeze it in somehow, but if not delivery should be an option. I’d start by talking to Casita. Casita will support local repairs for warranty items once you get it home.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #17

Illinois
It’s 1.25 a mile. Towed behind a 1/2 ton pickup.

Unit is locked and insured until drop off. Will fully inspect (to the best of our ability) when it does get dropped off.

My husband is leaning more towards delivery, I go back and fourth. It’s trying to find the time with two kids and both of us are working to go to Texas and pick up a trailer. ,
Old 12-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
That seems pretty reasonable.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #19

Illinois
I convinced my husband it’d be best to go pick it up and get the orientation!!

Tags
casita