Carpeting the Casita Interior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2003, 10:10 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Carpeting the Casita Interior

Posted by Stephen Sprenger, Member, Red Bud, Illinois

Carpeting the Casita Interior
I've just taken the plunge and purchased a 13 Foot 1987 Casita. The interior carpeting smells of smoke and my girlfriend wants to remove it and recarpet with a new color. I'm interested in getting some advice from anyone who has tackled such a job. What type of adhesive do you use. How do you lay the carpeting (lengthwise or from side to side)? Sure could use some advise.
Stephen Sprenger
Red Bud IL
Stephen@htc.net

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:14 PM   #2

Posted by Chester Taje, Moderator, Hosmer, B.C. Canada

Stephen
Before you recarpet , take some time and look at alternatives.EG hardwwod floors,Tile , and other products out there.
If I was to Carpet I would use Rubberback.

Welcome to this Forum.Post lots and enjoy.Other folks will add to this post for more good ideas.

-----------------------------
Ches & Marie
17Ft Boler Canadian In Use
13Ft Boler Canadian under Rebuild
Glass IS Class

Old 03-11-2003, 10:24 PM   #3

Posted by Mary F, Moderator, Jonestown TX

Ches, I'm not sure but I'm almost positive Stephen means redoing the carpet on the walls.

Stephen, I don't know if I'd tackle that job (okay, I know I wouldn't - I am way too lazy!) but I agree there's nothing else you can do to get rid of the smell from the smoke. (At least in our old '89 we tried to shampoo it, vacuum it, neutralize it with vinegar, air fresheners, burning scented candles. All we did was enhance the complexity of the odor - we definitely didn't solve the problem!)

Several major renovation projects have been documented here, but I'm not sure any include replacing the carpeting on the walls... It's going to be a big job...! (If/when you do it, please take and post pics, and progress notes!)

Mary Foster
1999 Casita (17ft Liberty Deluxe)

Old 03-11-2003, 10:30 PM   #4

Posted by Chester Taje, Moderator, Hosmer, B.C. Canada

Mary
You are most likely right.I keep forgetting that Casitas are carpeted.

Any way my heart was in the right place.

Ches & Marie
17Ft Boler Canadian In Use
13Ft Boler Canadian under Rebuild
Glass IS Class

Old 03-11-2003, 10:41 PM   #5

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator, Northeast Okla

The one I remember ran the carpet from the back to the front, not side to side. had to trim it funny for the corners. don't remember who did it either. and I think you would still want to use rubberbacked for more insulation.

Jana Journeycake
PullsButtercupwithYellaEscape
1975 Surfside TM-14 (ft)

Old 03-11-2003, 10:41 PM   #6

Are you sure??????????

Posted by George Cathcart, Member, southwestern Colorado

Are you sure??????????

In a Casita, that's not going to be the easiest job you've ever tackled, Stephen. I'm presuming that you mean to rip out the carpet on the walls, ceiling, cabinets, etc., not just floor carpet. The installation will be a long job, at best, considering all the curves, shaping and especially the ceiling! Now that I've scared the heck out of you, is the existing too bad to shampoo?

If you do a search conference both on this web site and on the casitaclub.com web site, you will probably find the several people who have done this. I don't know where you might start, but try plugging in ''carpet'' on the search conference and see what comes up. ''Search conference'' on this site, you will find at the upper left of this page.

As Ches mentioned, some people prefer hard surfaces on the floor--i.e., vinyl, pergo, hardwood etc. All personal preferences. Floor replacement would not be too tough of a job--go to Lowe's, Home Depot or a carpet warehouse. They can all recommend products and adhesives that work with their particular lines.

Welcome to this web site, visit often and post, Stephen. Good luck. Let us know how it's going.

George, world's oldest living Casita owner

Old 03-11-2003, 10:55 PM   #7

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator, Northeast Oklahoma

Lanny Webb has pictures that show some different carpet.
Lanny's explanation

Jana Journeycake
1975 Surfside TM-14 (ft)

Old 03-12-2003, 05:20 AM   #8

Odo-ban

Posted by Morgan, Member, SW USA

Odo-ban
Steven,

Welcome aboard. You'll get more advice on this board than you can ever use.

One thing you might try before the carpet replacement is Odo-ban deodorizer. The only place I've found it is at Sam's Club. It comes in a gallon jug for about $10. We're still using from the first gallon after 6 years.

It just flat kills odors, it doesn't mask them with perfume. It has a light, pleasant scent when you first use it. That goes away in a few minutes and the odors are gone.

For smoke in the carpets, you might have to apply it with an upholstery cleaner attachment for your carpet cleaner. That will get it in deeper than ust spraying it on the surface.

We also keep a spritzer bottle in the bathroom.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2003, 06:25 AM   #9

Ozone

Posted by steve L., Member, Detroit

Ozone
I understand that companies working to remove the odor from smoke damage due to fire use ozone generators. Small ones are available for $100+.

Ozone generators seem to have avid supporters and detractors. One down side seems to be that ozone attacks natural rubber and some foams. I always thought that you'd have to use one for quite an extended time at very high concentrations before seeing a problem.

I'd suggest you try the Smellz Be Gone or Odo-Ban before ozone. Never having peeled carpet off the walls, personally, I would try an ozone generator before tackling the peel and stick project.

Steve LaBroad
2003 16' Casita SD
I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met. -- Steven Wright

Old 03-12-2003, 06:28 AM   #10

More on renovations

Posted by Stephen Sprenger, Member, Red Bud, Illinois

More on renovations
I really appreciate the advice. I'd be satisfied just to shampoo and do general repairs but my girlfriend has big plans on redecoration and wants me to get to work. So far I've removed the converter and doing some wiring improvements. The plumbing needs neatening up also. I've run into a problem finding some of the plastic doors and devices on the outside of the trailer. Things like the water tank filler plastic unit that mounts in the wall of the trailer. I found some really cheap plastic ones on the web but was trying to find some high quality units that wouldn't degrade when exposed to sunlight.

Old 03-12-2003, 06:35 AM   #11

Colossal Casita Carpeting Caper Cunundrum

Posted by steve L., Member, Detroit

Colossal Casita Carpeting Caper Cunundrum
You might touch base with the Casita folks in Texas. Horizontal stripes vs vertical and glue types as well as removal schemes. Maybe a piece gets stuck on wrong and needs to get fixed at the factory. My theory is that they can't shoot you for asking. Well, maybe they can, but if you keep moving you'll be a tougher target.

Steve LaBroad
2003 16' Casita SD
I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met. -- Steven Wright

Old 03-12-2003, 07:43 AM   #12

Stephen

Posted by Suz, Moderator, North Texas

Stephen
I'd try a lot of things before I take out the wall/celing carpet (the floor isn't bad at all and might be worth it) I'm sure the stuff Morgan talked about is similar to (if not the same as) what I'm refering to. Check with janitorial supply houses. I don't recall the name of it, but just tell them you want something to eliminate odors. Not a spray, but a super concentrate. You mix with water in a spray bottle. (This is the stuff that motels and cleaning companies use.) Then spirtz (as in mist not soak) the carpet a couple of times a day and make sure the windows are open as much as possible. It won't happen overnight, but it should take care of it. That and a good cleaning. If you can't find a janitorial supply house in the phone book, then check at Home Depot. I think they may have some in the cleaning supplies. Remeber, this is not a spray can, it is a liquid that you mix with water.

When I got mine, there were a mixture of smells - none of which were pleasant. I replaced the flooring and kept spraying fabric spray on the wall/ceiling carpet and opening it up as often as possible. The odors are now gone. If I had used the odor elimator, it would have been a lot better and faster, but I didn't have any so I used what I had.

If you decide to replace it, then I would remove it and number each piece. Use the old pieces as patterns for the new ones. There are not very many large straight pieces, so it might not be as awful as it seems IF you cut one piece at a time, as you go, using the old ones as patterns.

CAUTION: Remember that all of your wiring is in between the carpet and the walls, so take care in removing it.

You can get the glue the same place you get the carpet (or at a local home improvement store.)

Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 03-12-2003, 08:07 AM   #13

Posted by George Cathcart, Member, southwestern Colorado

Quote:
Orginally posted by Stephen Sprenger

I've run into a problem finding some of the plastic doors and devices on the outside of the trailer. Things like the water tank filler plastic unit that mounts in the wall of the trailer. I found some really cheap plastic ones on the web but was trying to find some high quality units that wouldn't degrade when exposed to sunlight.
Stephen, for the plastic products you've mentioned, order print catalogs from Campingworld <www.campingworld.com>
and Camper's Choice <www.camperschoice.com>. Either or both will probably have replacement parts. (You may also have a Camping World retail store within reasonable distance if you live near a large city.) West Marine also has a catalog with lots of interesting stuff that is applicable to trailers.

These outfits also have on-line catalogs, but they are not real easy to navigate when you're looking for specific small parts, so request the print catalogs.

But as Steve L. says, the Casita factory is your best bet. They don't care if you're the 10th owner of your tt or if it's many years old. And they usually will sell you a part for less than you'd pay for it anywhere else.

George, world's oldest living Casita owner

Old 03-12-2003, 08:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Orginally posted by Stephen Sprenger
I'd be satisfied just to shampoo and do general repairs but my girlfriend has big plans on redecoration and wants me to get to work.
Not meaning to cause a breakup, but, you could just hand her the bottle and tell her you don't smell anything.

when it comes right down to it, if it ain't rotten I would NOT take it off the wall. that would be a BIG chore.

Jana Journeycake
1975 Surfside TM-14 (ft)

Old 03-12-2003, 08:31 AM   #15

Parts ain't always parts

Posted by Suz, Moderator, North Texas

Parts ain't always parts
>>...But as Steve L. says, the Casita factory is your best bet. They don't care if you're the 10th owner of your tt or if it's many years old. And they usually will sell you a part for less than you'd pay for it anywhere else.

That is a fact and I will vouch for that. They are very friendly and helpful. If you order something, they will get it out pronto. That being said, there is one caveat: The parts might not fit. We always, always start with Casita, but have learned that everything is not quite the same on the older ones as the newer ones. Wheel bearings, for example.

I think the parts you're talking about are probably available at any RV store near you or on line at the resources give here.

Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 03-12-2003, 10:04 AM   #16

Posted by Nancy D, Member, Ontario Canada

Hi
I'd take it to someone who does car cleaning and tell them the problem. They take dirty stinky vehicles that someone smoked forever in and they come out looking and smelling brand new.

Replacing the wall carpet would be a huge job.
Nancy

75 Trillium 1300 pulled by 2000 Windstar

Old 03-12-2003, 02:20 PM   #17

I watched them do a van once, and they used a garden hose and washed out the bottom. scary. I'm hoping that I saw wrong.
It wouldn't hurt to ask, in fact that's a really good idea. It just might have seen a very bad cleaning group.

Jana Journeycake
1975 Surfside TM-14 (ft)

Old 03-12-2003, 05:32 PM   #18

Smoke odor

Posted by Mary Middleton, Member, Palestine, Texas

I have some advice. My husband was one of those one cigarette after another smokers. He was told in December that he had a good chance of having both legs amputated due to nicotine.

He stopped cold turkey.

His truck smelled so bad that I refused to ride in it. He has had it since 1996. Can you imagine how many cigerettes have been smoked in that truck?

I bought Fabreze and have used it in the house for years to get that smell out. I went out while he was in the hospital and sprayed it everywhere. The floor, the roof, the seats, under the seats, dash, everywhere. You can not smell any cigarette smoke at all. It is unbelievable.

I had to spray it twice because I didn't spray it in every inch, but when I redid it , it worked great.

Hope this helps.
Mary

Old 03-12-2003, 10:52 PM   #19

I understand...

Posted by Nancy Wolf, Southwest Oregon

I understand...
I surely understand your girlfriend wanting the carpeting to come out. There is NOTHING worse that living around something with a stale smoke smell. I'm really sensitive to smells and so when my husband bought a used pickup that had stale smoke smells inside, I refused to ride in it until he got it fixed. He had it professionally cleaned -- carpets, upholstry, everything. It didn't work. He used at least two bottles of Fabreeze on it. Made it smell perfumey and wore off. Finally, he found that a local car dealer had a machine called an Ozone machine and it changes carbon molecules into hydrogen
molecules. They had to keep his truck for 24 hours and make sure everything was dry before they used it. I've heard that you can also look for a product called Ozium. It is a spray and it is designed especially for smoke odors. The Ozone machine worked! The cab of the truck is now smell free.

Nancy
19' Scamp 5th Wheel
Southwest Oregon
SOI #491

Old 03-12-2003, 11:37 PM   #20

Posted by John Ballard, Northern Nevada

Quote:
Orginally posted by Nancy Wolf
Finally, he found that a local car dealer had a machine called an Ozone machine and it changes carbon molecules into hydrogen
molecules.
Nancy
Way Cool, I wished that I had an ozone machine that turned lead into gold! I suppose turning smoke into money is a pretty neat trick too.

John Ballard
13 ft "Cosmic Egg" Burro

Tags
casita