New Escape 21' model - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
I think the one aspect of Escape is the fact that they will modify and "customize" your trailer. I have never heard of any other trailer company that is acomidating like they are, Every other company has the motto of" we will build it you will buy it and like it how we build it "
DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAC1 View Post
I think the one aspect of Escape is the fact that they will modify and "customize" your trailer. I have never heard of any other trailer company that is acomidating like they are, Every other company has the motto of" we will build it you will buy it and like it how we build it "
Exactly, even Airstreams will not change items on their $50,000 units. But Escape will make it the way you want it, so nice to work with. Also, Reace explains that in reality it is 18" bigger than the present Escape 19', but it appears to be larger because of the double vs queen beds.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
I think that most small manufacturers will do what they can to build to the customer's wishes. People on the forum talk about Lil Snoozy (and Escape) being very willing in this regard, and I'm sure others are too.

Airstream and other large manufacturers simply cannot do these custom modifications - they have production lines with trailers moving from station to station on a fixed schedule usually making it all the way through the factory in a shift or two, and a trailer coming off the line many times a day. Everything is build on jigs or CNC and custom work simply isn't possible on those tight schedules and tight margins. Those that do "custom" work often take a finished unit and modify it in a separate shop after the fact. Search "lance trailer factory" or "cruiser trailer factory" or "caravan factory" on You Tube -- its very interesting to see how the production lines work and how inflexible they are in practice.

Luckily, molded fiberglass is not well suited to an automated production environment (long molding and cure times, expensive molds) and keeps the factories small and flexible. That benefits the egg purchaser IMHO.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Well ... I think that it is terrific that they are coming out with a 21' Trailer.

However, Escape does risk having too many models and losing $$ as a result. Wasn't this one of Bigfoot's problems? But, they know their business, they make an excellent product, so very best of luck.

One of the inconvenient truths in life: nothing is perfect
For instance, I love my 19' Bigfoot. I'd rather have my 19' over a 17' trailer. But like most trailer owners, I suffer from ... 2 feetitis. A Bigfoot 21' would give me a bigger bath and a queen bed that will fit me and my husband.

But ... with gas prices ... maybe I'll stick with my 19'. (or get a 13' )

If I had disposable $$$, I'd consider moving to an Escape 19 [with custom modifications] for the bigger bed and lighter weight. However, should nature call to me in the middle of the night, I'd have to crawl over my hubby. So, a 21' Escape may work even better at bedtime, and it would probably be lighter than a Bigfoot 21. And, you should still be able to get into most sites with ease. Of course, you'll need a more powerful TV.

Decisions ... $$$ ... Decisions ... Ain't life grand?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You like looking at your tug while eating a meal? NOT me, gotta look out the back at a lake, ocean or even trees.

Different strokes for different folks
Regarding the layout ... my 2 cents:
  • I do like the idea of a rear dinette
  • I do not like seeing a bed when entering a trailer. The location of the door should be moved aft.
  • I'd prefer having a partition to separate the bed from the main cabin.
  • I'd also like to be able to move between the bed and the bath.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #26

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Needing a more powerful tug I think many already have those.
I like the idea of the 21 foot and would go to the 21 Bigfoot if money were not an issue but I'm alone most of the time when out so my 17 foot works great.
One of the worst decisions Bigfoot made was to go into the C class line.
I like the extra width of the Bigfoot it just takes more gas to pull.
Escape makes a fine product, I would like to see a different layout in that 21 foot.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I don't know Jane, weren't Bigfoot sold wholesale through traditional dealer retail network. Where Escape trailer is paid in full before it leaves their door. One is only built if paid for so I don't see having too many trailers. I am looking forward to seeing how this one looks. It's going to be nice.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #28

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Gosh, no 13 footer any more (unless special order) but adding a 21 footer. Guess some folks really do think bigger is better
Phil
Old 07-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #29

Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Gosh, no 13 footer any more (unless special order) but adding a 21 footer. Guess some folks really do think bigger is better
Phil

Seems that MOST folks think bigger is better. Last time I spoke with Reace, he said that he had made only ONE sale of a 13 footer in all of last year, while the sales of bigger ones are really taking off. They also got a LOT of enquiries about a 21 and even bigger.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #30

If you look at the scamp facebook they sell a bunch of 13 footers. Maybe pricepoint is the difference I don't know.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #31

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Wow - ingenious floor plan - great job Reace. Agree with Donna D. We always include hang out space when rating trailers and we would far prefer to have a lovely view out the back then look at the TV and road. We seriously considered the 25 ft FB Airstream when it was introduced but with a whopping 7300 GVWR, 800 lb plus hitch weight not to mention $78,000 our Casita looked even better! This has the potential to be the ever elusive 'perfect' trailer. Can't wait to see how it evolves.

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #32

Can't wait to see this evolve. I was thinking of a 19 escape....now maybe this one. Although if I had all the money in the world I would also own a 13 ft for shorter trips.

Several members on this forum have contacted escape about at 13 and they were happy to make one. I have not seen better customer service....I believe the replied while on vacation.

What is awesome about this forum is that while we all love our fiberglass, no matter what the size, different yolks for different folks as our fearless leader says.

This new rig looks great for those who want it, and they still make a small one for those who want it, sounds like good business.

On the escape forum they even hinted at a larger 5th wheel model. Wooohoo, let the creativity begin.

Looks like a great product, but I do hope they offer a couple (2) different floor plans with bed in front or rear.
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
I don't know Jane, weren't Bigfoot sold wholesale through traditional dealer retail network. Where Escape trailer is paid in full before it leaves their door. One is only built if paid for so I don't see having too many trailers. I am looking forward to seeing how this one looks. It's going to be nice.
Quote:
Needing a more powerful tug I think many already have those.
I like the idea of the 21 foot and would go to the 21 Bigfoot if money were not an issue but I'm alone most of the time when out so my 17 foot works great.
One of the worst decisions Bigfoot made was to go into the C class line.
I like the extra width of the Bigfoot it just takes more gas to pull.
Escape makes a fine product, I would like to see a different layout in that 21 foot.
Ken, I've read lots of opinions regarding what went wrong with Bigfoot. And the truth is it's not my industry, so I probably should not have commented. But I did state that the Escape folks do know their business and are apparently successful. So, I must assume that they are making the right decision.

@Daniel A.: I am alone much of the time, so the 19' works really well for me. I, too, like the width. The fuel costs is a bummer. But the trailer really satisfies my needs. I'd love a queen size bed for when my husband joins me. But we do mangage. The Escape is setting the gold standard, and it's great that they are listening to their clientele.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #34

Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
The stories of "what really happened at Bigfoot" are legion. And, since they are so contradictory, there is very high odds that nearly all the stories are not 100% accurate!

All I know is that they were at the top of their game when they made my 21 footer

Now if Escape made a 25 or bigger..... and
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Escape 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Here's a couple of bigger pictures and you do know... the picture of the trailer is a Photoshop rendering!
Attachment 49330

Check out the size of the refrigerator!!

Attachment 49331
Reace just posted today on the escape forum this trailer will 21ft hitch to bumper.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I just looked at the Escape website and see that they have lowered their prices and are even offering sales of up to $2000 dollars. I hope this is because of economy of volume and not because of decreasing sales.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #37

Name: Nick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Vermont
Hi Folks,

Anyone also on escapeforum.org? I am having trouble registering and the error message tells me to contact the administrator but there is no mechanism to do so without registering! (catch 22) Could someone send me the email address of the administrator over there.

Nick Branch
(looking at an escape 15)
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #38

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
here is the Escape forum's administrator's email
zajas@zimodecast.com
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #39

Ray, N,
It's to Keep their employees with a paycheck during the winter months. It was last last year too. Tammy mentioned it in an interview or somewhere.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #40

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I think it's great news whenever a FG trailer manufacturer offers a new model. My ten year old Bigfoot 21 will need replacing at some point and I want some choices out there. We were in Banff National Park 10 days ago and saw an Escape 17 up close and thought it was beautiful. That said, if we eventually replace the Bigfoot with an Escape we will have the trade-off of narrower width (8'4" vs 7') and lack of some of the 4-season features on a Bigfoot. But that may not be a deal-breaker if we love some of the other features. We hope someone on this forum buys an Escape 21 soon and shares some knowledge on this forum. We have heard that Escape offers double pane windows as an option. What other winter camping features are available?
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape