New Escape 21' model - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #41

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I just got mine with the double pane windows, spray foam underneath on the tanks, 12v heat pads on two tanks ( the third is located interior), Atwood low draw 1.8 a/h furnace, foil backed insulation underneath and vinyl covered topside, heat strip in the a/c, solar panel. All of these will help winter time use below freezing and with a heated water hose, your stay limit will depend on your tank capacity, not the weather. Even the door has double pane glass. The optional small window in the bath/kitchen are not dual pane but they can easily be covered with reflectix.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #42

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Jim, the features you describe sounds like Escape is basically offering a four-season trailer. The only difference I could see was that Bigfoot heats the tanks by circulating furnace-heated air as opposed to electric heat pads.

The added width on a Bigfoot is a double-edged sword. That extra 16" or so really does help the elbow room. But it also drastically reduces visibility behind the trailer when towing and backing into a space. It also produces much more wind drag. I would like to go back to a narrower trailer if I could find the right floor plan.

I guess the next thing to find out will be a price comparison between 21 foot Escapes and Bigfoots.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #43

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
I will be picking up my 19ft Escape end of next week, I started looking at used 21 ft bigfoot trailers ( not knowing about Escape ) and used newer ones were not not far from the price of a new 19 ft Escape that I got to have built how I wanted it, Not to mention that I actually prefer the lay out of the 19 ft Escape over the 21 ft Bigfoot for our needs. For me the narower and lighter Escape for ease of towing is a bennefit. Not saying the Escape is better than the Escape just that it suits what I want better and for similar money I am getting a new trailer how i want it over a used trailer. I am very gald i found out about the Escape before i bought a bigfoot.
DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #44

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would depend where you are camping to be able to qualify an Escape as a true 4 season trailer. Adding the insulation and heating for the tanks will extend its use, but I would not want to go out with it in -20°C temps. Bigfoot is definitely more of a 4 season trailer, but you pay for this will a lot of added weight for the size.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #45

Alberta
I agree fully with Jim, I guess I don't view the escape as a true four season trailer. I don't ever plan to camp in the middle of winter. I just wanted to be able to extend the season a bit. I talked to Tammy @ Escape about this very topic when I ordered our trailer and they do not advertise the Escape as a 4 season trailer. Just that the dual pane windows and insulation packages are to "extend" the seasons
Old 07-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #46

Pennsylvania
Registry
As long as I have electric here in the states I think I can camp down to 15-20F. Now -20c equates to -4 F which seldom happens here in Pennsylvania. I figure I'm good down to 15F or -10C, after that it becomes dangerous. In Canada you guys are used to it.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #47

Alberta
I supose 4 season is relative to where you live. the 4th season for some means you just don't need a/c.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I think you could easily go that low Jim, though not much lower, without fear of freezing. I have camped in fringe seasons with weather dropping to -5°C (23°F) a few times with no problems with freezing of my water. It did warm up not too bad during the day though.

One of the problems getting any lower, even with the extra insulation and dual glazed windows, is that there still is a lot of heat loss, resulting in the furnace running lots, and condensation forming on the cooler surfaces.

Up here, we get to turn the heat off for a few months of the year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #49

Pennsylvania
Registry
All my other trailers (except for NestEgg) had aluminum in the walls and in the winter one could see condensation attaching to the aluminum studs all inside the trailer. The metal was bringing the outside cold inside the trailer. Escape will not do that.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #50

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Thanks, all, for the perspective on whether the Escape is truly a four-season trailer. We don't generally camp all winter here in northern Wyoming, but the fall hunting seasons generally have sub-freezing nights. We previously had a Scamp, then a Casita, while living in Alaska. We had to winterize the plumbing by October 1st usually. At the present, I don't really need a serious four season trailer. But one that would tolerate moderate cold would be a real plus. One thing I noticed with the Casita was its lack of ability to hold heat, causing constant cycling of the furnace. The Bigfoot is obviously better insulated. It might be good to find out the R-value of the walls in a Bigfoot vs an Escape.

I am very intrigued by the Escape being lighter, less wind drag and less expensive when new than a Bigfoot. I had to buy a used Bigfoot because the sticker price was really extreme. The Bigfoot factory is also barely in production after the recent bankruptcy. Unlike Escape, I don't know if personal customizing is even an option since Bigfoot works through dealerships. When I get serious about buying again, I think Escape will get a really good look.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #51

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oregon has four seasons:
rain, cold rain, crunchy rain, and construction
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #52

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oregon has four seasons:
rain, cold rain, crunchy rain, and construction
Southern California also has 4 seasons:
$nowbird, June Gloom, Touri$t, and Fire!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #53

Alberta
I have camped in our old aluminum framed hardwalled 25 ft trailer at about -5 C over night, the trailer was already winterized and dry. and the furnace ran pretty much 50% duty cycle and i was only barley warm enough. I am hoping that in the Escape trailer this will be better. I don't realy see us camping in much colder than that. Summers are so short here that being able to be comfortable while streching the season will be nice.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #54

Name: Janet
Trailer: expecting our 19' Escape November 23, 2012
British Columbia
I wonder if a 21' fifth wheel is also on the drawing board..hmmmm I wonder if we should wait before taking that commitment step.....just sayin'
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #55

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face Don't hold your breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet W View Post
I wonder if a 21' fifth wheel is also on the drawing board..hmmmm

I understand that design certification and mold creation is a significant investment. Reace & Tammy have their hands full doing due diligence on the one they're working on now from market research feedback. You might contact them and ask directly...
Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The Escape 21 will require a larger tow vehicle. It fits into a different market that Escape is missing. Bigfoot is making limited production 21FB. The B21FB had tongue weight issues. The old Bigfoot offered a 500# front weight. The bathroom and waste tanks were in the back of the trailer. With Escapes side bath they won't have weight issues. Escape builds a well planned trailer.
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #57

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We were just starting out on our vacation trip (first picture),thinking we had enough room to manage... when,rounding a corner, we were struck green with envy, seeing that someone had a trailer with even more room!(second picture)... So we just went home in shame and decided to go hiking instead (third picture)
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #58

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
When we were researching we decided that a Bigfoot 21RB would be perfect but we stumbled upon and purchased a used 25RQ. I'm not versed on the projected Escape 21, except for this thread, but I hope it comes with a dry bath. I too prefer to have the bed in the back and a couch looking into the camper (subsequently out the back window).

IMHO, the molded fiberglass companies are really missing out by not having a 24-25ft fifth wheel. I'm thinking something like a modified version of the previous Bigfoot 24SL Class C. Throw in some descent basement storage with common high end features like heated enclosed tanks, dual pane windows, solid one piece shower... nice!

As for 4 season campers, I'd like to add that the dual pane windows and well insulated walls are beneficial during the sweltering summer months. Additionally, the extra width our Bigfoot has makes a tremendous difference.

I think it's great that Escape is venturing into a slightly larger unit for those of us who want them. I'm by no means an advocate for bigger is better but expanding their potential clientele is good business.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #59

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
Additionally, the extra width our Bigfoot has makes a tremendous difference. -John
John I believe it has been one of Escapes goals to try and keep the width of their trailers down. If the trailer is wider than the tow it can impact the wind drag/gas mileage.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
....the extra width our Bigfoot has makes a tremendous difference....-John
My somewhat claustrophobic wife would agree with you - she even feels cramped in the 19' Escape. The 88" width and open plan of our EggCamper makes it the only molded fiberglass camper in which she feels comfortable, (she hasn't been in the Bigfoot, however).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape