Roof Escape Screen Handle - How Do I fix? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Roof Escape Screen Handle - How Do I fix?

The escape hatch handle assembly came apart when I was trying to take out 2 screws & re-insert a round metal piece so it would crank open & shut. Do I have to get on top of Scamp to fix?
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Barry
You should be able to repair it from inside the trailer. If the gear box and arm is messed up try this to remove it. Remove knob or crank handle, remove the two screws, unlock the screen escape latch. (Big red pull latch.) Lift the screen and the top by hand. As you raise them the lift arm will slide to a opening in the slide track and the lift arm mechnism shoud be free. Then you can buy a new matching lift arm and gear box. You will need to match up with what you currently have.
Eddie
Pictures of your issue would help.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

Registry
Thank you Eddie!! do you think I would need to contact Scamp for that lift arm & gear box or would a hardware shop etc have it?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Barry
I think Scamp will only sell you a complete vent assy. You can buy the vent operators on line but you need to make sure it will fit since there are several mfg. (Jensen,Elixr) I would first go to a RV parts store and try to match up what you have. If you can't find one locally find one on line but call to verify measurements. You really need to figure out who made your escape vent.
Eddie
Jensen RV Vent Operator Metal Replacement Vent Arm motorhome with Crank and Scre | eBay
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #5

Registry
Holy Cow Batman I fixed it ! I just fed the long metal piece with the gears through the hole.. lined up the holes.. inserted the round tube shape metal piece & put in 2 screws.

Thanks Eddie for the replies...

Tags
escape