I was sure I was done buying Trilliums for Now - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #41

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Given the amount of FG work required to put a new top on I'd be tempted to rebuild what is there, at least a fair bit of it is intact and aligned. $2500 can go a far ways in the rebuild if not used for the top.
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
Given the amount of FG work required to put a new top on I'd be tempted to rebuild what is there, at least a fair bit of it is intact and aligned. $2500 can go a far ways in the rebuild if not used for the top.
I dont see how going with an all new top half shell would involve more fiberglass work than fixing the old one? Would think that going the new top half route would be a whole lot less fiberglass work. Yes the windows and vents etc would all needed to switched over to the new top shell but I am assuming that they are going to be all pulled and reset either way. Am I wrong? What am I missing regarding the fiberglass work? May be a mute point regardless as the OP does like doing fiberglass work
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #43

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Guess we just see things differently then Carol
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #44

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Smile

David, I am truly impressed. You have extreme abilities...I am wishing you all the best and I know you can do it. I agree with Dave L., if it matters, $2,500 would go a long ways on the rebuild. Although I know your work has a value as well. We are all watching and glad you are reviving the little camper!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
Guess we just see things differently then Carol
Well that may be very true! reading Men are from Mars Women are from Venus suggests its a common problem

What I see is a badly damaged fiberglass trailer that is built with two shell parts (upper and lower) joined in the middle that can be taken apart. I see a heck of a lot of fiberglass work & time going into repairing the originally damaged upper half.

I also can see a new upper half with all the fiberglass work already done going on top of the older lower half - as its been confirmed the newer shell is using the same mould it should fit nicely. Its been done by others before for such a major repair.

What I dont see is all the fiberglass work alluded to in regards to using the new top half....Yes fiberglass work would be required at the point the two half meet but I seem to recall the OP has done that type of work before if I am not mistaken and as such may not view it as a big job. I also see the cabinets having to be fiberglassed back into the new shell but again based on the OP's experience I suspect its not enough to be a deal breaker either.

I also see a big cheque being written in order to avoid all the fiberglass work needed to repair the original top half but then its up to the OP as to what they think their time is worth

So I have to ask what is it that you suggest I see differently from others?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #46

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The work and cost to restore the damage vs the cost of replacing with known solid replacement top. Hmmm Either way major investment so I would lean toward purchasing the replacement and knowing my work and expense yielded a "good as new" trailer.

Academic for me really, if I brought that home as another project DW would probably either tell me to move into it or take the scamp on a long trip to dispose of my body where it would not be found. :-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
The work and cost to restore the damage vs the cost of replacing with known solid replacement top. Hmmm Either way major investment so I would lean toward purchasing the replacement and knowing my work and expense yielded a "good as new" trailer.
Good point! Also wondered if perhaps a new upper half with all that shiny gelcoat making the trailer look years newer than it is rather than a painted job that will need to take place if the old top is repaired might result in a bit higher resale price... would think painting a nice band around the joints (much as Trillium does) would be all it needed in the way of new paint.

Lots to consider and calculate out one way or another.

Good luck David either way looking forward to seeing the end result! Keep the photos rolling in!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #48

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Carol,

I've never known you to make a mute point before.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Carol,

I've never known you to make a mute point before.
come out to a rally here on the West coast John if you get a chance..... some might suggested I am famous for them!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #50

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I see your point Carol.
I think the repairs on a Trillium are more complex than on a boler / Scamp because the cabinets are all glassed in. That makes what appears to be a simple repair, much more complex. I didn't realize that at first when Phil 4500 posted about his trailers damage.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ama-39012.html
Having worked on my Trillium since then, I understand the difficulty. Then there is the factor of ensolite. It is hard to remove and virtually impossible to replace (due to availability) when compared to reflectix and rat fur.

Dave, let me know if you want me to grab that piece of ensolite you posted the other day.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #51

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Didn't somebody have a spare Trillium "A/C roof" they were not using? Randy Bishop perhaps? I remember reading it posted somewhere some time ago. That might be able to be used for repair components as well.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #52

Registry
Roy your right about the glassing in of the cabinets and did mention that I could "see" that but if I am not mistaken David has indicated that he needs a number of new cabinets as well (suspect the ones in it are damaged?) so it sounds like at least some of the cabinet glass work in that regard may be another push as far as additional work required.

Yup did "see" and think about the ensolite as well (just didn't mention it as it was the more glass work comment to put in a new top I was puzzled by )and totally agree that is one BIG job that I know I might be trying to avoid if at all possible... not even sure I would be happy about redoing the reflectix/rat fur - gezzz how many times have we seen folks here pull out the rat fur the first week they own a Scamp because they dont like the look - only to find they dug themselves into a big hole much deeper than they probable would had they had any idea as to where they were heading
Old 10-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #53

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Didn't somebody have a spare Trillium "A/C roof" they were not using? Randy Bishop perhaps? I remember reading it posted somewhere some time ago. That might be able to be used for repair components as well.
I believe you are correct, it was Randy Bishop.

Spanke
Old 10-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #54

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Wow, such a heated debate. Imagine how I feel. The factors to consider:

New top:
High price
Ensolite, (might be able to transfer, but doubt it)
Color, (new top, and cupboard would be White)
Joining to to bottom, (doable, but not easy)

Repair:
Low cost
Lots of time
Might not be as smooth of a job, (sagging and misshaped)
Color will be mostly matched, but painting will still be required
Ensolite can likely be saved

As a rough estimate, I am looking at about 20 to 30 feet of cracks to repair. Similar to what is involved in a belly band. Probably more. The temporary supports and forms will take some time.

I am still leaning towards repairing the existing roof. I don't plan to build trailers from new, and the skills I would acquire, from putting on a new top half, would be less useful to me then what I learn from the repair.

After I get a look under the Ensolite, I will have a much better idea of how I am going to proceed. I am sure it will be gross.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #55

Registry
Yup Randy it was but that was almost a year ago and no takers so he throw them away!!

Free A/C roof parts.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #56

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
I believe you are correct, it was Randy Bishop.

Spanke
He tossed it.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #57

Alberta
Registry
Besides the opourtunity to learn more about fibreglass repair, here is why I will do the work myself, and not pay $2500 for a new top:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-61500.html
Old 10-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #58

Alberta
Registry
Yah, so clearly I am unsure of the road forward. I went to Trillium / Out Back for lunch. I talked to Joe this time. It was Reese who gave me the $2500 price tag for the top half. I told Joe I wanted from the top of the windows up only. He said he could do it for $1000. Like I said, he owes me a solid.

Now I am leaning towards a new top.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #59

Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Yah, so clearly I am unsure of the road forward. I went to Trillium / Out Back for lunch. I talked to Joe this time. It was Reese who gave me the $2500 price tag for the top half. I told Joe I wanted from the top of the windows up only. He said he could do it for $1000. Like I said, he owes me a solid.

Now I am leaning towards a new top.
$1000 seems like a deal. You would have to satisfy yourself that there will be an exact match between the new top and the bottom of your existing trailer. Could be like trying to wear a hat that is much too large or too small.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #60

Alberta
Registry
Actually, since I would buy a piece that goes from the window tops, up the size might not be so critical. Some expansion, or contraction could be taken up by where the joins are between the windows. This could conceivably make the window openings either flare, or shrink at the top. Shrinking would be easy to cut larger, flaring might be a bit more difficult.

But, I actually believe that since Joe uses the original Trillium mold, from before they got rid of the line under the logo, it should fit perfect.

Tags
trillium