Opening a Burro light fixture - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

Name: tony
Trailer: Toyota
Oregon
Exclamation Opening a Burro light fixture

Hello, I have owned an 81 Burro for about a year and have just decided to replace the interior light bulbs with LEDs. The only problem is I can't figure out how to get into the light fixture. I have owned many trailers and Toyota motor homes. Usually you just squeeze the lens cover or push a tab to hinge the cover out of the way. I can't see any way that the cover releases or hinges on my Burro. The entire light is mounted in place with 4 screws into the fiberglass and is held very tight. Does anyone know the correct way to open the fixture without destroying it in the process? Thanks for any help.
schmitty33pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #2

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Do you mean the battery driven lights on either end of the upper sink/stovetop cupboard? If so we have struggled with that. The outside is tan plastic on ours. The clear part is in dark brown plastic. The dark brown plastic has two tabs at the top and bottom that snap into the tan plastic outside shell. Greg pulls the top and bottom tan plastic apart a bit to get the brown out. It is not easy - and we have been afraid of breaking it every time we open it. Good luck!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Can you post a picture.

Many of the standard RV fixtures have a flexible lens with tabs that hold it in place. On some your would swear the thing was going to break if you flex it any more. That's about the time it comes loose.

If the lens is oblong it should compress on the long side. No, you will still think you're going to break it. I think the good ones are Lexan and can take a lot of flexing
Old 09-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

Name: tony
Trailer: Toyota
Oregon
Smile Thanks for the Information

Thank you for the help. I was able to get the lens cover off. I did succeed in breaking the surround at the top of the light. A little super glue will soon fix that. It turned out that the tabs were oriented to the sides of the fixture. You were right in that it felt like it was going to break it took much less effort on the side tabs.
I will be aware of what to look for on the other two fixtures.
schmitty33pop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, light