19 vs. 21 Escape...? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
Did any of you struggle with choosing a specific Escape size? What are the cons to the 21’? Is there more storage, less, or about equal? Please give me all your thoughts and opinions! Thanks!
Ramona,

We owned a Casita FD17 and wanted to upsize. We spent a great deal of time and thought analyzing and reviewing our options, informed by our experience with the Casita. It was very clear that it is was going to be a choice between the 19 and the 5.0 TA.

We then visited the showroom in Chilliwack and quickly determined that the 21 best suited us. We liked the bed arrangement in the 5.0 TA but thought it somewhat short on storage as compared to the 21. Both the 5.0 and the 21 have nice counterspace. While some other people travel and live in even smaller trailers, the 19 just didn't seem to suit our vision for longer travels.

So much of this will be up to you to determine what sort of travel you have in mind, what sort of tow vehicle you have or will acquire, and what suits you personally. I agree with the suggestions to see and compare anything you want to consider. I don't think that doing a comparison on paper (or on the Internet) provides the same appreciation as seeing them in person.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #42

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Many items that are optional on an Escape are standard on the Casita so for an outsider it may be confusing when trying to compare pricing ( IE Air Conditioner, Bath Window ,Dual fuel water heater Etc )
If one took the base price of an Escape and added 30 to 40% for options one would be close to the actual price. ( Reading build / option sheets on Escape website)
Escape is a fine trailer and I can understand why they are popular but in my book , just like Oliver and Bigfoot they are expensive.
A 21 ft Escape costs twice as much as I paid for my first home.
Escape owner appear to be in that 1% they always talk about on the news , I am in the other 99%
Maybe I am a victim of class envy but that doesn't make FG trailers cheap or affordable.
Wow 😱 I get to be a 1%er cause I own an Escape 🤯 Seems like quite an “assumption” 🤔 30-40% over base price, another assumption? Got mine the way I wanted it for 15% over base. Just saying😎
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #43

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As I write this, the exchange rate for CDN is 76 cents to $1 USD. That's like buying a $30,000 trailer for $22,800 for US buyers!
What happened to your avatar? I miss that wonderful flower hat!

And what about the other copy cats?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
What happened to your avatar? I miss that wonderful flower hat!

And what about the other copy cats?
Oh I'll be back eventually. We're all going to the fabulous 50th Boler Anniversary Event and Caravan!!!

JOIN US, IT'S GOING TO BE A TON OF FUN!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #45

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The op has not mentioned her tow vehicle which may be a limiting factor. I owned a 2012 Escape 19, up graded to an Escape 21 in 2014 and then went back to a 2016 Escape 19. Reason, we did not need the extra space and weight. The 19 weighs approximately 10% less than the 21 or about 400 pounds. The 19 is narrower and depending on your tow mirrors, no extensions are needed whereas with the 21 I had to clip on mirror extensions to see down the trailer sides. I currently avg 14-15 mpg towing the 19. Also the 19 has windows on all sides whereas the 21 does not have a window in the front. You can make the front dinette into a permanent bed for a solo camper and the rear into a lounge area, the best of both worlds. I never used my oven in my 21 as we cooked outside or used a crock pot. Just my observations from someone who has had both models and decided one was better suited than the other. I high recommend the thermal frameless awning windows offered as well as the extra insulation package, makes for a quiet and cozy unit.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh I'll be back eventually. We're all going to the fabulous 50th Boler Anniversary Event and Caravan!!!

JOIN US, IT'S GOING TO BE A TON OF FUN!
Maybe put the logo in your signature instead?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #47

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The op has not mentioned her tow vehicle which may be a limiting factor. I owned a 2012 Escape 19, up graded to an Escape 21 in 2014 and then went back to a 2016 Escape 19. Reason, we did not need the extra space and weight. The 19 weighs approximately 10% less than the 21 or about 400 pounds. The 19 is narrower and depending on your tow mirrors, no extensions are needed whereas with the 21 I had to clip on mirror extensions to see down the trailer sides. I currently avg 14-15 mpg towing the 19. Also the 19 has windows on all sides whereas the 21 does not have a window in the front. You can make the front dinette into a permanent bed for a solo camper and the rear into a lounge area, the best of both worlds. I never used my oven in my 21 as we cooked outside or used a crock pot. Just my observations from someone who has had both models and decided one was better suited than the other. I high recommend the thermal frameless awning windows offered as well as the extra insulation package, makes for a quiet and cozy unit.
Am I the “op”? Does that stand for operator? Just a guess on my part- I’m not hip to the lingo here

My tow vehicle is a 2017 Chevy express extended body V8 with the door sticker stating I can tow 8,500. I’m not sure exactly how wide the van is, but easy enough to check. The 21’ is 4” wider than the 19’ IIRC, so not sure if I would need clip on mirror extensions or not. I don’t think I would use the oven a lot if I did option it, but I do love to bake... I’m sure you know you can also option a front window on the 21’? I’ve been van dwelling since October 2017, and I happen to enjoy the den-like experience of sleeping without a window right up beside the bed. It’s very womb like, not that I remember, but you get me? Maybe I’m part dog and like a cozy, dim den for a bed!

I think all that additional insulation is a smart option to add.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #48

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Am I the “op”? Does that stand for operator? Just a guess on my part- I’m not hip to the lingo here .
OP is an abbreviation for "original poster" or "originally posted". That's you because you started the thread.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #49

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
OP is an abbreviation for "original poster" or "originally posted". That's you because you started the thread.
10-4, good buddy 😊
Old 03-19-2018, 01:30 AM   #50

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
me, I was a 5%er before I retired last year... now? hah, 0% ? no wait. 50%? heck if I know.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:22 AM   #51

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Also the 19 has windows on all sides whereas the 21 does not have a window in the front.
actually, a front window is an option on the E21, one I wish we didn't have. the window is covered by a flap so it doesn't get destroyed by road debris, and it means you don't get a shelf above the bed so there's nothing within reach to put your glasses and ebook
Old 03-19-2018, 03:12 AM   #52

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Am I the “op”? Does that stand for operator? Just a guess on my part- I’m not hip to the lingo here
yeah, OP == Original Poster, eg, the one who asked the innocent question that all us armchair experts will expound upon endlessly.

Quote:
My tow vehicle is a 2017 Chevy express extended body V8 with the door sticker stating I can tow 8,500. I’m not sure exactly how wide the van is, but easy enough to check. The 21’ is 4” wider than the 19’ IIRC, so not sure if I would need clip on mirror extensions or not. I don’t think I would use the oven a lot if I did option it, but I do love to bake...
my 2008 (gen 2) tacoma is considerably narrower than your Express van, and I only barely needed mirror extenders, in fact, I just used a driver side extender part of the way driving my 'new' E21 home the 1800 miles from dallas to santa cruz via reno... your Van will do just fine pulling most *any* fiberglass van, but if its a 1500, do watch your payload, a well optioned 1500 has less net payload than you might think. but an extended body van is probably a 3500, so sky is the limit. hah.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #53

Colorado
Quote:
10-4, good buddy 😊
Now I am confused, sorry.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #54

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
John where do you live in ca. I know cool some areas

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #55

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Then we'll catch you on the flip flop!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #56

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
John where do you live in ca. I know cool some areas

bob
I've lived in Santa Cruz proper the last 25 years, south Santa Cruz county for about 6 years before that, and previously, Monterey/Pacific Grove, and before that in the early 70s, Marin County... SF in the 1960s as a kidlet to teen.

I've been pretty much all over the central and northern parts of the state, as well as the deserts of Death Valley and Mojave... I've mostly avoided LA and San Diego except for a few trips for business or family or fun.

and there's still 1000s of cool places I've not seen.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #57

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
radio slang, 10-4 is 'acknowledged' or 'message received'. widely adopted by CB radio users in the 70s, but dates back to police radio in the 1930s.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #58

Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, OP == Original Poster, eg, the one who asked the innocent question that all us armchair experts will expound upon endlessly.

my 2008 (gen 2) tacoma is considerably narrower than your Express van, and I only barely needed mirror extenders, in fact, I just used a driver side extender part of the way driving my 'new' E21 home the 1800 miles from dallas to santa cruz via reno... your Van will do just fine pulling most *any* fiberglass van, but if its a 1500, do watch your payload, a well optioned 1500 has less net payload than you might think. but an extended body van is probably a 3500, so sky is the limit. hah.
Mine is a 2500. They no longer manufacture the 1500’s. I’m happy towing just about half the recommended max, so I’m good😊
Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #59

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
radio slang, 10-4 is 'acknowledged' or 'message received'. widely adopted by CB radio users in the 70s, but dates back to police radio in the 1930s.
Thanks, John. I should have paid more attention when this was on the car radio -
a few decades ago.

Fighting off nostalgia...
Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #60

Florida
Quote:
Thanks, John. I should have paid more attention when this was on the car radio -
a few decades ago.

Fighting off nostalgia...
Love this! My dad was a chicago fire fighter and local trucker on his days off at the fire dept. Back in the 70’s when I was a young whippersnapper we went on one of our annual family road trips out west when I watched in amazement as my dad spoke another lingo on the CB! Great fun and wonderful memories. And a belated thanks to all the truckers who honked their very loud horns for myself and my neotjer😊

Tags
escape