Refurbishing Trillium 1300 Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Refurbishing Trillium 1300 Questions

Hi all,

My parents have an old Trillium 1300 that has been sitting in the place for about 30 years. It's in decent condition - no obvious body problems - and my wife and I are considering refurbishing it now that we have twins and our backpacking life has slowed down... considerably.

A few questions for wise trailer owners:

1. Propane vs Electrical vs Both?

We will need to redo the electrical and/or propane lines. Getting them done by someone who is qualified is expensive, so we're wondering if we really need both. Propane seems easy to get rid of; we could just use a portable propane stove or induction burner when we're connected to the grid. There isn't currently a propane furnace, but we don't really know that it's necessary.

Electrical: it'd be nice to have an outlet or two to charge phones & computers, and a few LED lights through the trailer for nighttime.

The thing I can't wrap my mind around is the fridge. We'd like to install a small fridge, but for the life of me I can't figure out if there's a boon docking solution for electrical that will allow it to run for extended period of times on solar, or if that's just an unrealistic use of solar on a relatively small trailer. A 3-way solution seems best, but then we have to have both propane & electrical re-installed... Apparently you can run the fridge off the electrical connection to the car? Can someone help de-mystify this for me?

2. Sink vs No Sink & Carrying water vs Not Carrying Water

How do folks feel about the utility of carrying water/having a sink, etc? In campsites, there's usually potable water within easy walking distance, so carrying a jug around isn't too hard. There is such limited counter space that I was thinking the sink might not be too useful. Plus, I think the gray water just drains out onto the ground under the trailer, and I'm fairly certain that's not allowed? I don't think the sink is large enough to actually do dishes, so I wonder what the utility of the sink actually is. Advice on this?

3. Lastly, a puzzle! Twin Infants in a Trillium 1300

We have 4mo twin infants. They'd be roughly 6mo when we head out for a few weeks of camping, theoretically. Has anyone figured out a double crib situation? I'm thinking something custom in the bottom bunk is the best idea, but I'm curious if anyone has done something like this. Surely we can't be the only parents of twins also interested in vintage, fibreglass trailers, right?

Many thanks for your wisdom!
mcfarlanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
For the fridge, you can get a 12-volt compression fridge. A number of them use less than 2.5 amps on 12-volt when running which makes them easy for boon docking with Solar. I currently have a Dometic portable that uses 7.7 amps running but If I have full sun my two 100 watt panels have no trouble keeping the battery full during the day. If for some reason you need more charge capability, you can always connect jumper cables to your tow vehicle and to the trailer battery and charge it that way.

As far as the sink goes, you can make a cover that will give you more counter space when not using the sink. When it comes to drainage, I have the parts needed to hook up the grey water outlet to a standard RV hookup drain using 5/8 inch hose from the outlet on the side of the trailer to a sewer adapter with a 5/8 inch hose inlet which is then connected to a sewer hose seal for the RV sewer inlet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If boondocking, you could get one or more of those portable grey water tanks. You're going to have to do something with the grey water whether you have a sink or not. Although I haven't been able to find one, a guy at an event with no hookups last year had a device that would evaporate the grey water. You hooked up a garden hose to it and somehow the grey water would slowly evaporate. Not sure how it worked. Kicking myself for not having talked to the guy about it in detail.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Boondocking plans = don't get rid of propane. Boondocking also means no available water.

Everything you remove is one less capability you will have in your camper. Where I typically camp (state and national parks), I rarely have any hookups.

No, you are not going to be able to run a traditional RV refrigerator off your car. and certainly not once you are camping. I just pulled the 120V wiring on my 1977 Trillium, scary stuff, got a "good" jolt off of it too. (Is there such a thing as a good jolt? I am not sure....)

Modern boondockers are moving towards 12V truck compressor refrigerators that can be run off solar, plus a battery of course.

Old Trilliums have several known issues: body to frame bolts, frame recall/cracking, windows leaking (wood rotting), door hinges wearing out and wood where hinges attach rotting, belly band leaks, old power centers that need to be replaced or no power centers at all.

Click on the manufacturers tab, choose Trillium, and read the myriad of threads that cover all of these and more.

So before I dealt with electrical, propane or water, I would address body to frame bolts, windows leaking and belly band.

The second wave on repairs I would focus on your 120V AC and 12V DC systems, power center, and interior lighting.

I am just now dealing with propane issues: broken lines, bad regulator, rotten hose, etc. I pretty much finished the first two lists.

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #4

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarlanea View Post
... now that we have twins
Congrats on the twins. Got twin girls here, 4 months old.

Have fun and good luck with the camper work.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #5

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-NS27 View Post
Congrats on the twins. Got twin girls here, 4 months old.
Have you thought about how to take them in a trailer? Any ideas for how to squish two cribs or a twin crib-like situation into a 13' trailer?
mcfarlanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #6

Name: Lucille
Trailer: 13 ft trillium
Ontario
Registry
When I purchased my 1300 1975 Trillium the previous owner had installed a Koolatron fridge and it works great. I use my generator when hydro is not available or just plug in with hydro. Great option for now
hygenie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
If its just been sitting and nothing touched, chances are all it will need is a new regulator on the front and a hose to the main propane line, it might be worth taking it and having a pressure test done, go from there
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #8

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Hey Aaron - some very good questions. We're in the same boat - just bought a 1973 Trillium 1300 a few weeks ago, have 2 kids (2 month old and 2 yr old) and had similar questions. Here are my thoughts so far:

1. Propane vs Electrical vs Both? We tow (at least for now) with a Honda Element so the tongue can't be more than 150#. With a 50# 12V deep cycle battery, 15# spare tire and 32# propane tank currently all mounted on the tongue (>260# total - maxed out our IKEA bathroom scale, placed on a milk crate and some bricks to get to tongue height, as we learned that putting the scale under the tongue jack showed 40# which I knew wasn't right!), we were wondering if we could get rid of 12v or LP. I read somewhere (probably on here) that "1 lb of propane contains 300 times more energy than one lb of battery" so to us it made sense to do without the battery (or at least not have on tongue for transport). Obviously different constraint than you (having to refurbish both systems), but for what it's worth, we'll probably forgo 12V and use some battery powered LED lights for inside. Plus our LP system was recently inspected and regulator replaced, so we're happy to use LP for the fridge when camped, and with the 7-way plug, I think (from reading a variety of posts) it'll work from the car power when driving (after pre-cooling with 110VAC). We don't plan to cook inside, and might get a 10 or 25ft propane extension to use our camping stove on the picnic table (although those are damn pricey), rather than the 5# tank we used to take car camping. The furnace was taken out prior to our purchase due to LP leak, but similarly to you, we don't expect to need heat. If we do down the road, I was looking into 12V heaters, but learned it's near impossible to heat w 12V so would look into a Mr buddy heater or similar (and crack a window while using, also with a CO detector or two - "they're cheap" I remember reading.

If we forego 12V we'll just use our USB battery packs for charging phones overnight, etc. as we have done with tent camping. And our backpacking headlamps should be fine Would be nice to have 12v white noise, but can just use a phone app as we did in the tent.

2. Sink vs No Sink & Carrying water vs Not Carrying Water - we're not planning on taking water and probably won't use the sink, for the same reasons you list. Too small, no other counter space, greywater needs to go somewhere, we already have a 10L jug and camp sink for the SUV if we boondock... and if we're generally cooking outside, why bring everything inside just to wash?

3. Sleeping w little ones - We've got a variety of things that we used for camping with our 1st: baby delight snuggle nest (https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Delight-.../dp/B01LZRRLTA), Summer infant by your side sleeper (https://www.amazon.ca/Summer-Infant-.../dp/B01BTULLU2) and I think either of those would work until maybe 8-10 months (depending how tall your twins are). You could just put those on the bottom or top bunk (assume you have bunks?) - I'd lean toward bottom bunk to be safe, although I'm sure you could secure them somehow either way. Once ours grew out of those we used the Lotus travel crib https://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Travel-.../dp/B00AKKDSNG and this year hopefully she'll finally be ok going in the KidCo PeaPod we got her last year https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kidco-p.../6000193792686. I'm not a fan of amazon, those were just the first links I found.

No idea when we'll finally be ok with her being able to 'get out of bed' (she's thankfully still in her crib at home), but putting her on top bunk hopefully prolongs that a bit We're looking into a railing for either the bottom or top bunk for our toddler, and will likely put her on the top bunk w me on the bottom, and mommy and baby (in one of the above-mentioned cots) on the double bed, or see what else works. Haven't tried it yet so can let you know how the test runs go this spring.

May not answer all your questions but hopefully a bit of help/another perspective. Cheers, Alex
Alex T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:47 PM   #9

Name: Nathan
Trailer: In the Market
South Carolina
Hi Alex,
You fit that lotus travel crib in your 13' Trillium? Where does it go?
Thanks for any help- I'm also trying to figure out where to put a (12month old) kid in our soon to be delivered Trillium.
Thanks for any help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex T View Post
Hey Aaron - some very good questions. We're in the same boat - just bought a 1973 Trillium 1300 a few weeks ago, have 2 kids (2 month old and 2 yr old) and had similar questions. Here are my thoughts so far:

3. Sleeping w little ones - We've got a variety of things that we used for camping with our 1st: baby delight snuggle nest (https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Delight-.../dp/B01LZRRLTA), Summer infant by your side sleeper (https://www.amazon.ca/Summer-Infant-.../dp/B01BTULLU2) and I think either of those would work until maybe 8-10 months (depending how tall your twins are). You could just put those on the bottom or top bunk (assume you have bunks?) - I'd lean toward bottom bunk to be safe, although I'm sure you could secure them somehow either way. Once ours grew out of those we used the Lotus travel crib https://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Travel-.../dp/B00AKKDSNG and this year hopefully she'll finally be ok going in the KidCo PeaPod we got her last year https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kidco-p.../6000193792686. I'm not a fan of amazon, those were just the first links I found.

No idea when we'll finally be ok with her being able to 'get out of bed' (she's thankfully still in her crib at home), but putting her on top bunk hopefully prolongs that a bit We're looking into a railing for either the bottom or top bunk for our toddler, and will likely put her on the top bunk w me on the bottom, and mommy and baby (in one of the above-mentioned cots) on the double bed, or see what else works. Haven't tried it yet so can let you know how the test runs go this spring.

May not answer all your questions but hopefully a bit of help/another perspective. Cheers, Alex
Oneforeachofyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
My Trillium 4500 off-grid setup:

- 12 volt AGM battery located inside near the axle
- single 20 lb/5 gallon propane tank runs fridge and stove
- Progressive Dynamics PD5000 power panel
- portable Renogy 100 watt solar panel + Victron SmartSolar 100V 20 amp Charge Controller

I recently removed the 42 year old 15 amp (?) AC to DC power supply. It didn't actually have capability to charge a battery, just a transformer power / battery power toggle switch. In its place I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD5000 power panel coupled with a smart battery charger. That's what fit in the tight spot where the old power supply was located. The Trillium 1300 power supply could be replaced with an all in one converter, e.g., PD 4135, due to more available space.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Aaron, What model of Trillium do you have? 1300, 4500, or 5500. The last one is unlikely.
Answers to your questions:
1. Both - Nothing provides heat like burning something. Though you don't currently have a furnace, they can be added. I'm very fond of the original Duo-Therm furnaces that Trillium used. They require no electricity, and using Peltier generators, and heat sinks, it could actually generate a small amount of power:
https://www.amazon.ca/Thermoelectric.../dp/B07G59FK5N
As far as fridges go, it is more than possible to power a small 12VDC compressor fridge with solar.

2. I totally agree with Alex Adams, Make a cover that uses the sink to keep it stationary. Mine has a cross made of 1”x1” on the bottom that fits into the sink.

3. As the parent of twins, I feel for you, (mine are 23 now). The best solution I have seen for babies on a Trillium is this:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ium-63390.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #12

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneforeachofyou View Post
Hi Alex,
You fit that lotus travel crib in your 13' Trillium? Where does it go?
Thanks for any help- I'm also trying to figure out where to put a (12month old) kid in our soon to be delivered Trillium.
Thanks for any help!
Sorry - that's what we used when we tent camped last summer - haven't sorted out where we'll put the 2 year old yet. The crib might fit on the back half of the double bed, but haven't tried it yet. More likely I'll build some sort of a railing on the top bunk, but I haven't got to that yet If anyone's got any tips on those, I found a few pics online, but nothing I'd call a fail-safe solution yet!
Alex T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium