Basics 12 vt with converter and 110 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
12 vt/120 Clarified

Question on Electrics. Trillium 1300 with converter. When plugged into shore power (15amp at current campground) with the 7 pin into the Trailer battery; shouldn't the shore power charge the Trailer battery? For whatever reason say with the radio on and and switch on 12 vt light, the system shuts down. This is of course with the converer running. (Previous owner put in on/off switch) Not sure where to troubleshoot first. I did hookup a smart charger to the battery and it was down to 10.5 amps. It's one of those things where I thought by plugging in shore power, that all the 12 vt systems would work regardless of battery as it is a 'pass through."? Senior moment has confused me. Thanks in advance for education.
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:09 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
And how old is your converter? They do not last forever. The original ones were known battery boilers. 10.5 volts on battery it could be a goner regardless and not charge.

No, hooking up to shore power is not enough, power does not pass through. Instead, the power center has a converter that makes 12V DC power. AC doesn't just pass through and come out as 12V DC.

Not all old Trilliums had a power center, it was an option.

See if your battery successfully charges first with your smart charger. In fact, you might want to take the battery to a nearby auto parts store and get it tested. Usually thats free as it helps them sell batteries. 10.5V is in the killed the battery range. How old is the battery?

Too many unknowns in your posting. Do you have a power center? If so, what model? Do you have 12V lighting? If the lighting is working, then your converter is generating 12V DC. The old PD6911 did not have a smart charger to it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #3

Trailer: in market
New Hampshire
Thank you Thrifty Bill.
The converter came with trailer which I have owned for a few months so I have to assume its at least 5 years old. It is a WFCO WF 8725 converter with panel.

I might agree that the battery could be toast. The smart charger was flashing with the 'empty' icon last night, stating 10.5 vts. I have 12 vt lighting and a radio/cassette player. As I said, the radio was working but when I would turn on a 12vt light, all went dead. Shut off light, radio back on.

Does the A/C coming into the trailer ALSO charge the coach battery?
I do know my TV is 4 wire (going into seven on trailer) and not charging the battery.

I will go to parts store to test battery. It might make sense to get a new battery, any suggestions on sizing and type?
Attached Thumbnails
WFCO WF 8725.jpg  
Mirror lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
How are you connecting the 7 pin to shore power? If that’s really what you’re doing, that’s meant for 12v. I think it goes straight to the battery, no converter.

And of course if your battery is that low it’s dead. It won’t take a charge.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #5

Trailer: in market
New Hampshire
Trillium

Hi Zacho
The 7 pin FROM THE TRAILER is connected TO THE BATTERY DIRECTLY
and the RV Cord is going from a 15 amp campground circuit directly into the Trillium.
Mirror lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Ok that makes sense. It sounded like you were saying you plugged the 7 pin into a wall outlet somehow

With a dead battery, all bets are off. Once you've got a new battery (get the highest amp hour rating you can fit in the compartment is my advice), then see what works.

You've owned the trailer for a few months. Is this your first time using it? Or just your first time plugging in? So did everything work fine on just battery power, but this problem started happening when you plugged in to shore power? Or what?
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
The WFCO can charge the battery when hooked to shore power but I Suggest getting a dedicated battery charger and a quality deep cycle battery.

The 12v wire in the 7-pin will maintain a battery in tow with some loads attached to it but does not do well with recharging a battery. If you are towing with a full battery with no loads on it, the extra charge from the 7-pin could be cooking the battery. This is why they make 12v-to-12v chargers.

I manage my battery system with a CTEK ds250
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
Ongoing 12 vt Converter

Where to troubleshoot? Trillium Battery charges just fine to 14.5vts with dedicated smart charger (good investment at $35 from Harbor Freight). Hooked up to shore power from house to Camper and after 24 hrs no 12 vt systems. I did not check the vlts on 'dead battery' but will charge it when back up at camper. The converter is WFCO WF 8725. The converter obviously works to convert 115 to 12 vt as the house lights and radio work fine. Fuses fine. Where might I start the goblin search? Calling WFCO is also an option.
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
one thought would be:
1) unplug from shore power
2) put meter on Battery and read voltage
3) plug in shore power and see if voltage goes up, it should
4) make sure there is not a relay that switches between shore and 12v battery that has failed
5) call a friend. ( just kidding, Canadian attempt at tv humor, google cash cab)
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
How do you know battery is charged up to 14.5V? Did you disconnect charger first? Otherwise, you are just reading charger output, not battery. I am not buying battery was 14.5 volts, as that exceeds fully charged for a lead acid battery.

Pull the battery, take it to the nearest auto parts shop, and have them test the battery for you. Thats the first troubleshooting step, since you mentioned battery was down to 10 volts, which is goner level for battery. RV batteries often do not last very long.

WFCO power centers have a poor quality record FWIW. But again, step 1: have your battery tested.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium