Trillium 4500 Axle/Brakes Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2022, 11:20 AM   #1

Name: Dino
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
ON
Trillium 4500 Axle/Brakes Question

Hello,

I was considering purchasing a 70s era 4500. In a photo, the wheels looked like the trailer was riding at an appropriate height, and I suspect the axle might still be ok. The owner said that the trailer didn't have brakes. When I go look at it, I'll see if it in fact has electric brakes, but they just don't work, or if it in fact doesn't have brakes. The trailer interestingly only has a 4 pin connector.

My question is, if I decide to replace the axle to a new one and one with electric brakes, what should I be looking at as a replacement. I intend to take the trailer onto forestry roads, occasionally.

I am Canada.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Dino C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:53 PM   #2

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
[QUOTE=Dino C;835074]Hello,

I was considering purchasing a 70s era 4500. In a photo, the wheels looked like the trailer was riding at an appropriate height, and I suspect the axle might still be ok. The owner said that the trailer didn't have brakes. When I go look at it, I'll see if it in fact has electric brakes, but they just don't work, or if it in fact doesn't have brakes. The trailer interestingly only has a 4 pin connector.

My question is, if I decide to replace the axle to a new one and one with electric brakes, what should I be looking at as a replacement. I intend to take the trailer onto forestry roads, occasionally.

I am Canada.

Cheers

Hi Dino, this question and answer is more complex than you have opened up. The T4500 is at the borderline of requiring electric brakes. It depends on loaded weight, highway speeds, tow vehicle capability and a few other things. This trailer is probably around 50 years old and the whole frame, brakes, tires and axle should probably be inspected. The springs probably also need upgrading/replacing. This may already all have been done by the previous owner and he/she should be able to tell you the details. I did most of this with my T4500 trailer about 8 years ago and could tell you what I did, but would have to find the bills. I am in the GTA and would be willing to let you know what I did at the time. George
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:00 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Dino, Axle ride height is not a good criteria for evaluating an axle. Torsion axles use rubber for their spring. In time the rubber either disintegrates from heavy use which causes the axle to sag, or it hardens due to time which causes the axle to have no spring. The point is, if the axle is original, then it will need to be replaced. I recommend one with brakes.

Not that it matters, if you are going to replace the axles, but Trillium frequently put a mounting plate for brakes, but no brakes. The four pin connector is a good indication that there are no brakes.

As for possible replacement axles. You could get a Flex Ride, which allows you to take off the swing arm and mount it at a lower angle, for additional ride height in an off road situation. Or a Dexter, which has a fixed swing arm, that is longer than the Flex Ride. This gives more suspension travel. The Dexter axle can be ordered with the arm at a lower angle for more ground clearance, and more travel, before the tire hits the top of the wheel well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #4

ON
Thank you for the reply.
Where in Ontario is the best place to go and get my axle/brake issue done?
I don't think this will be a DIY. situation for me.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’ve read a lot of positive reviews of the Flexi-ride. Good quality in addition to the adjustable ride height. Because the swing arms are shorter, mounting location on the frame will be different.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #6

ON
Thank you. I'll have to try and find out who can do this type of work in Ontario. Thanks
Old 02-14-2022, 03:09 PM   #7

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino C View Post
Thank you for the reply.
Where in Ontario is the best place to go and get my axle/brake issue done?
I don't think this will be a DIY. situation for me.
I ordered an axle for my Scamp 13' from https://canadianaxle.com/ which is in Inverary, ON

They were AWESOME and the exchange rate with the US made my purchase a great deal financially.

I don't think they do removal and reinstallation, but maybe they can suggest a local welding company near you in Canada.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:11 PM   #8

ON
Interesting. I called them today, and they mentioned they won't have any for any time soon due to supply chain issues. Otherwise, from what i read on their web site, it seems like a good axle. Thanks
Old 02-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I used Online Trailer Parts | Axle Manufacturer | Cerka Canada for my replacement, they're in Milton. mind you, I had leaf springs.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #10

ON
Hey Joe,
Thanks for the reply. I was considering going the route of installing an axle on leaf springs rather than a torsion axle, with the notion of putting on larger tires. Would you happen to know the pros and cons of such an idea?
Thanks
Old 02-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
you should be able to upsize by one , like 13-14 or 14-15, even if you stick with the same axle as what you have now, the biggest gain is in getting the original height back under the trailer. I started with a 1300, and it was fine on most of the bush trails I took, as long as I took my time. I had a minivan, and anywhere it could go the trillium could.
I like the leaf springs, but that can be a lot of work to install correctly. do you have any pictures of the running gear?
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #12

ON
Thanks for the reply.
This is the only picture I have for now.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #13

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino C View Post
Hello,

I am Canada.

Cheers.
As long as it is rated for the load, and fits the width, any utility trailer axle will be fine, you can order any size and max load, most big cities have an axle builder.
You should have brakes, in BC I believe anything over 1500 lbs must have them.
Suggest you avoid Princess and do not get a tubular axle, they bend too easily and go our of alignment, (ask me how I know)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:00 PM   #14

Name: Mindy
Trailer: 13’ Boler
Ontario
Trillium brakes?

If you are in SW Ontario you should call Paul at
A1 Auto Refinishing Paul Neumeister
345 Huron Rd, Sebringville, ON N0K 1X0
519-393-6410Primary

He’s a great fiberglass trailer person. He did my first Boler axle and all the wiring in my second 9ne. Great guy.
Gmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:02 PM   #15

ON
Yep. I'm likely to go there. Thanks

Tags
axle, brakes, trillium