Trillium Window and use of plumbers foam tape? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #1

Name: Dino
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
ON
Trillium Window and use of plumbers foam tape?

Hello,
I can't seem to locate a thread where someone explained to used something like plumbers foam tape inside the interior aluminum frame to help eliminate condensation on the inside of the aluminum windows when using the trailer in the cold. Can anyone point me with a link to any discussion like that?
Thanks
Dino C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:25 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Condensation occurs when warmer moist air contacts a cold surface like the metal frame on your window. A foam tape will cover the cold metal surface and prevent contact with the moist air. You may still get some condensation as the exposed surface of the tape cools.
Condensation is an indication that the air inside your unit is too moist for the temperature, maybe from using your stove or other sources.
Opening doors and windows briefly to "air out" the unit and get rid of this overly moist air often helps. Increasing the temperature inside the unit may also help.
Otherwise you will likely continue to get condensation on cold surfaces like window panes, metal surfaces etc. You may also notice your clothes, bedding etc may feel damp.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:43 PM   #3

ON
Thanks.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #4

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Dino, where are you thinking of using the plumbers tape ? Anything spacing the aluminum frame from the body inside or outside WILL NOT stop the aluminum and glass from getting cold. The condensation of moisture on these surfaces can't be stopped. I drilled 3/32" small holes in the aluminum frame to allow the accumulated water, (running down into the bottom channel) to run outside the the trailer. My windows fog and are wet; I can squeegee the water down into the frame, out it goes. The manufacturer of the windows did not engineer a way for the water to evacuate the frame. On my sisters boler it just runs down the interior walls, or they sop it up with a cloth rag.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:52 AM   #5

ON
Hey Kenny,
Thanks. I don't recall where the original post was in regards to using foam, so I was trying to follow it up to understand what that person meant. I gather it's just the way these windows are. Might you have a picture that shows the locations of the weep holes that you say you drilled?
Thanks

Tags
trillium