Bought a Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

Name: Rita
Trailer: Burro13
Wisconsin
Bought a Burro

Hi everyone! We are seniors with an '82, 13' Burro, hopefully ready for an extended trip real soon. We've had it out on it's first trial run for 2 nights and found we were too cramped so have added a portable mattress and are hoping that does the trick. Hubby is desperately wanting an air conditioner for the summer. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good rv place that can sell and install reasonably in the northern WI area or near Duluth, MN? I'm sure we'll have tons of questions for seasoned retro mini trailer owners soon.
Rita D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Rita and hubby. We have a bunch of members that are Burro owners, I bet you'll be hearing from them shortly.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome to fiberglassrv. We are former Burro owners.
Lots of people have added air conditioning in the closet. We cut a hole in the back wall and built a platform that supported it on the bumper. However, that cramps the bed further, so probably not the remedy for you.

If you search, you will find lots of mods. We built the front couch into a dinette with swivel captain's chairs.

I hope you like your trailer as much as we did ours. We are not Burro owners anymore, because we wanted a bathroom, so we bought a 16' Uhaul that looks like a Burro but has a bathroom.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I can't help you with anything to do with air conditioning, but welcome to the Burro world!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
If you're cramped sleeping in the double bed due to the curved walls, you might want to consider using the front dinette/bench seats as a single bed. You should be able to lower the front table and use the front cushions to make a nice single. One sleeps up front... one sleeps in the back. We added a screen house for outside the trailer to add more space, too. We just slept in the trailer and used our screen house as another, open-air room. By placing it right up against the trailer, bugs seem to stay out (not smart enough to come around to the back, I guess). Just make sure it is set so that your door operates underneath the screen house frame. I've attached a picture of our UHaul with the screenhouse.

As to the AC, the roof of the Burro is not really supported to handle a roof AC. You can add additional supports (that take up interior space), try to build in the AC at the bottom of a closet or under the front table, or put a small AC through the back sliding window. Most folks find the window route easiest, since they can remove the AC while traveling and reinstall at the campsite. Some even build them in permanently with supports added exterior to the trailer, connected to the back bumper. Lots of choices, but probably not on the roof! (I've attached two pictures showing the AC unit through the back wall of the trailer - one open for use and the other one covered with a Coleman cooler made to cover it while traveling. As you can see, it's supported by braces attached to the bumper. AC strip insulation is used around the hole in the fiberglass to insulate and seal the opening. I took a deep breath before making that cut in the shell!)
Attached Thumbnails
Burro with AC.jpg   Burro with AC Covered.jpg  

UHaul with Screenhouse.jpg  
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita D View Post
Hi everyone! We are seniors with an '82, 13' Burro, hopefully ready for an extended trip real soon. We've had it out on it's first trial run for 2 nights and found we were too cramped so have added a portable mattress and are hoping that does the trick. Hubby is desperately wanting an air conditioner for the summer. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good rv place that can sell and install reasonably in the northern WI area or near Duluth, MN? I'm sure we'll have tons of questions for seasoned retro mini trailer owners soon.
Hi Rita & hubby! I too, have a 13ft. 82 Burro (Burrito) that I've had since 89 or 90..I lived in Wausau, Wi & Grand Rapids, Mn, (love Duluth!you're talking about when you say you'd like AC...Other members may be able to tell you better, but when I inquired re:AC, a trailer company told me because the Burro is double hulled, the top is not strong enough to support the weight. You'll love being a part of FGRV & especially the campouts! Tremendous bunch of people who are a wealth of knowledge.
Welcome!!! Karen L.
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #7

Registry
Rita:

Check out how Panoz77 installed his air conditioner: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-45934.html

CindyL
Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Hi Donna,
I was really happily surprised to see how quickly responses to my little note came in. I'm hoping to find a good rv place though for ac installation that is not too far away as we just aren't that "handy". I'm so glad I found this site!
Rita
Old 06-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #9

Registry
Talking

Rita,
We are worried though that you will not find an RV place that understands small fiberglass trailers. They might just put it on the roof without adding supports. The roof is likely to sag. Our Burro had a sagging roof, so they do do this. Maybe you can find images of how you want it done on this site and take them into the RV place or a willing boat repair place, they will see how to do the job. You could have an RV place add a MaxAire fan too.

CindyL
Old 06-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Hi Cindy,
Thanks for the advice.We know about the weak roof problem and won't be considering that option at all. One of the things we were considering would possibly be a portable unit but there again we're in no hurry and will get all of our ducks in a row first before purchasing anything. Hubby would like a bigger unit and if that is going to be a possibility we certainly don't want to put much extra expense into this only to sell it. I haven't heard of MaxAire so that's another thing to look up.
Rita D
Old 06-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Thanks Kevin. We are intrigued by the pictures of your very nice setup. Our interior is a little weird and a second bed in the front would not work for us. The unit we have has built in shelves on both sides of that area and it functions as a short bench seat for us. Unless it were a major overhaul done there, only a small child could sleep there. Both ends of the Burro also have a weird upper shelf which I suppose is good for soft storage while traveling. We don't have the knowledge or energy to redo much. We are so grateful for all of your suggestions and input.
Rita D
Old 06-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

Best of luck! Hopefully we'll run into you at a fiberglass rally sometime in the future. We used to get up to the Bayfield area when we lived just south of Menomonie, WI and I taught at UW-Stout. Beautiful area!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #13

Trailer: Teardrop
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita D View Post
Both ends of the Burro also have a weird upper shelf which I suppose is good for soft storage while traveling. Rita D
Do you have any pictures of the shelves?
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #14

Wisconsin
Jim,
i posted a couple of pictures under the trailer registry.
Rita D
Old 06-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #15

Registry
Rita,

Are the cupboards on the front end or the rear end? We put a similar shelf in our UHaul at the back, no cupboards. I would suggest taking them out, but you said that you were not so talented, and they look like shelves and cupboards that others would like to have.

Depending on your situation, you could look into a larger camper. Many of us do that. We loved our Burro but wanted a bathroom so got our Uhaul.

Good luck!

CindyL
Old 06-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #16

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Rita, see the posting I just did under the thread for AC in a U-Haul... I meant to post it here where it's more appropriate.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Hi Froggie,
Thanks for the input. We are just gathering all the info we can and then will decide if it's worth the effort. More than likely though, if we can't find a dealer to do the work, we'll have to live without it.
Rita D
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #18

Wisconsin
Hi Cindy,
We have a shelf the width of the Burro on both ends and built in cabinets below on both sides of the front only. They're kind of hard to explain. They don't look bad and maybe we'll just learn to appreciate them. We would just rather have sleeping room there instead but I guess it's not to be.
Rita D
Old 08-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #19

Name: Gary & Debbie
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Registry
Rita our a/c is at the front window supported by steel framing. This is a great place for it without putting stress on the fiberglass!
Gj in texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #20

Gary, thanks for your advice, but this thread was last active 7 years ago. Hopefully Rita found a way to handle the AC!

Tags
burro