Scamp Door Seal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 05:53 AM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Scamp Door Seal

I finally ordered the replacement door seal that Scamp sells. My foam was not in good shape. While cleaning off the old tape is never fun, both the cleaning and the installation went better than expected. I was happy with the results. The door does close slightly harder, but it is not objectionable.
Attached Thumbnails
Door Seal.jpg  
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
solution for keeping the latch lubed

We did the same with similar good results. The original foam never worked well, always twisting out of place. Getting the old tape off is the hardest job.

I wish I had a solution for keeping the latch lubed. I spray on silicone and the door closed great for two or three days and then becomes difficult again.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Wait a minute! Scamp doors seal? When did this happen? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Seriously I am in the market for door seal replacement and if Scamp sells a rubber replacement how does one order? Don't see it on the scamp store web site. Just the foam and that does not work all that well.

Might want to try some lock-ease type lubricant. Teflon & graphite spray product.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #4

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Wait a minute! Scamp doors seal? When did this happen? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Seriously I am in the market for door seal replacement and if Scamp sells a rubber replacement how does one order? Don't see it on the scamp store web site. Just the foam and that does not work all that well.
This is the great thing about this site and the people on it. You are correct and I did not find it on their website either but I saw it here on this site. I saw a post months ago and made note of it. When it warmed up in Michigan, I just called the Scamp phone number and asked for the parts department and he knew exactly what I wanted.

In case it is not obvious or you didn't see the previous post, it is rubber seal (sort of similar to an automotive door seal) that has adhesive tape on the back that I put down right where the previous foam tape had been.

I hope it works well for you too!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

Michigan
I think I found the link where someone posted about it before. I hope it helps.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ues-62811.html
Old 04-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #6

Michigan
I had that thread bookmarked but had not noticed that the seal pictured came from Scamp. Pretty bad since my post on the damaged door was the one above the picture.

CRS (can't remember stuff) strikes again, thanks for the reminder Eric.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #7

Massachusetts
[QUOTE=RogerDat;455110]Wait a minute! Scamp doors seal? When did this happen? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Seriously I am in the market for door seal replacement and if Scamp sells a rubber replacement how does one order? Don't see it on the scamp store web site. Just the foam and that does not work all that well.QUOTE]

I think it is best to call Scamp rather than use the internet. Several people on this site have said as much to others who found Scamp to be unresponsive to email or internet ordering. The item you want is a black rubber tube, which is flat on one side, where the two-way tape is installed.

I got mine when I complained to the owner about the foam on my year-old 5er.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
More on the door seal....

I too replaced my door seal. I was VERY upset when I pulled my Scamp 13 brand new from the factory and had to literally ring water out of the door's "ratfur"! Later I called Kent Eveland and he sent what I needed for free but asked if I would wait 3 months before installing it. I waited 6. (To make sure the new fg door was fully cured).

I can also say to the gentleman that installed it and says it's a little harder to shut that it will eventually "seat". I installed a new FIC doorlatch on my Scamp and I can shut the door and it will latch without me having to pull open the handle first! I love that!

Below is a link to the "D" tube Scamp sent me. I hear you can also order the same stuff from JC Whitney and probably cheaper. But here's a photo of a cutaway showing the dimensions:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...7626474795019/

Hope this helps some...
Darral

Quote:
The item you want is a black rubber tube, which is flat on one side, where the two-way tape is installed.

I got mine when I complained to the owner about the foam on my year-old 5er.
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #9

Michigan
I suggest calling because if you call and it's not a large item they may ship it US Postal which is a whole lot cheaper than FedEx or UPS. Shipping from the web store is killer, especially if you just want a bag of snap caps and some rivets.

On the other hand I figure out what I'm going to order on the web store so if it's not there.... would have no clue if not for the folks here.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #10

Massachusetts
FIC doorlatch info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral View Post
I too replaced my door seal. I was VERY upset when I pulled my Scamp 13 brand new from the factory and had to literally ring water out of the door's "ratfur"! Later I called Kent Eveland and he sent what I needed for free but asked if I would wait 3 months before installing it. I waited 6. (To make sure the new fg door was fully cured).

I can also say to the gentleman that installed it and says it's a little harder to shut that it will eventually "seat". I installed a new FIC doorlatch on my Scamp and I can shut the door and it will latch without me having to pull open the handle first! I love that!

Hope this helps some...
Darral
Could you send info on the FIC doorlatch that you used.

Thanks,

David
Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #11

FIC Door Latch info

David...hope we're not hijacking the door seal topic but actually this is related as the doors to me needs this latch as much as the seal!

Here's some photos of my installation.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...7643963773193/

The FIC (brand name) door latch I got from Amazon because it was about $17 (before tax) cheaper than Camping World. I think maybe the company I got it from (Boxrud RV on Amazon) has gone up a bit. This is a very common latch used on many RV's. Here's a link but this one is black and I chose chrome which I REALLY like...didnt know if I would since most mods have been "white". You can see how the chrome looks on my Flickr photos.
Amazon.com: AP Products 013-520: Automotive

Darral
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #12

Massachusetts
Thanks Darral

Thanks so much for sharing your mod and great depiction of it. I'll need to give it a bit of thought as we have the refrigerator instead a closet beside the entry door.

David
Old 04-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #13

You're more than welcome. You can use a simpler "strike plate" shaped as an "L" that will bolt to the side of your closet (may need a ply backer). But this mod is well worth it. IF you decide to do it and want more info or if I can be of more help, private msg. me and I will respond.

Darral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
Thanks so much for sharing your mod and great depiction of it. I'll need to give it a bit of thought as we have the refrigerator instead a closet beside the entry door.

David
Old 11-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #14

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Scamp door seal

For a year I fought to close my door after Scamp replaced the seal on my 2013. I read on this site that one solution to is to take the handle off and put a spacer in to adjust the latch. I think I used a hard piece of plastic to shim it. After that quick and easy repair job latching the door from the inside or outside was amazing! I wish I would have seen that post a year earlier. I want to thank whoever posted it.
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp