Towing Issues with a Mazda CX-5, - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2021, 08:39 PM   #41

Name: Vicki
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Whew! You all have given me much to think about. I see it's not just the weight you have to consider. I can see how the wide Scamp might not be the best match for the CX-9 (or maybe even the Highlander?)
I'll look at both owner's manuals and see.
I'm not set on what vehicle and am checking out which might best match my needs.
So....given the wide girth of a Scamp, do any of the mid-size SUV's fit the bill or do you have to go bigger.?
I will be using the vehicle mostly for daily driving, but we will be out camping some too. I soon will retire, so I'm playing it by ear and would like to get a vehicle that gives me flexibility no matter what I decide.
AlohaVicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:09 PM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp is not wide. It’s about the same width as typical 3-row crossovers. It’s a bit taller, that’s all. It will not be a problem. Many people tow 13’ Scamps with even smaller vehicles like a Subaru Outback or a Ford Escape.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #43

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
In the SUV class, Highlanders are popular tow vehicles as are Pilots. I’d put the CX9 in that group. I’ve been considering a Telluride, no rush since we aren’t traveling. The 13 footers can be towed with some of the smaller SUVs.

Since I’m a truck guy, my F150 always stands ready for tow duty. But on trips where we set up camp in one spot for a while, an SUV would be handier.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #44

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Camper speed limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
The 13” class C tires that come with the Scamp are only rated for 55mph. I would not drive above 60mph.
They make ST radial tires. have them on our trailers. Was told some states set a 55mph limit on all camping trailers regardless and in some provinces was told it is a limit of 90kph while towing a camper. They do not enforce it in Canada unless you have an accident.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:50 PM   #45

Ontario
Registry
TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Scamp is not wide. Its about the same width as typical mud-sized crossovers. It’s a bit taller, that’s all. It will not be a problem. Many people tow 13’ Scamps with even smaller vehicles like a Subaru Outback or a Ford Escape.
Subaru Outback; check its towing capacity, it is actually 2700 lbs
Old 01-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #46

Ontario
Registry
Transaxle cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertherr View Post
Automatic transmission cars have used the engine's radiator as a heat exchanger for many years. A transmission oil cooler is an additional item. It looks like the 2017 CX-5 does have transmission coolant lines:

https://www.carid.com/2017-mazda-cx-...ml?view=107373
Mr Transmission sells a sweet little transaxle cooler
Old 01-23-2021, 11:20 PM   #47

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaVicki View Post
Whew! You all have given me much to think about. I see it's not just the weight you have to consider. I can see how the wide Scamp might not be the best match for the CX-9 (or maybe even the Highlander?)
I'll look at both owner's manuals and see.
I'm not set on what vehicle and am checking out which might best match my needs.
So....given the wide girth of a Scamp, do any of the mid-size SUV's fit the bill or do you have to go bigger.?
I will be using the vehicle mostly for daily driving, but we will be out camping some too. I soon will retire, so I'm playing it by ear and would like to get a vehicle that gives me flexibility no matter what I decide.
Many are towing an Escape 21 with the Highlander without issue
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:35 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Many are towing an Escape 21 with the Highlander without issue

I towed my Escape 17B with my RAV4 Sport V6 for twelve years. Just bought a Highlander XLE, which is more than sufficient as a tow.
Be wary of too assertive posts, like "only tow at half the rating".
Old 01-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #49

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Subaru Outback; check its towing capacity, it is actually 2700 lbs
It's gotten a little confusing since this thread took a detour back in post #22 to discuss the CX-9, which is Mazda’s mid-size, 3-row crossover, rated for 3500#. The CX-5 that started the thread is a compact, 2-row crossover rated to tow 2000#.

I was referencing the CX-9 when I described the Outback as a smaller vehicle. I am aware of the Outback’s rating, and it’s a fine tow vehicle for most 13’ Scamps, limited somewhat by a low tongue weight rating on older versions. The latest 2020 redesign made it even better, as it allows for higher tongue loads common on fully optioned 13' front bath models with dual LP tanks.

The CX-5 is adequate for lightly-optioned Scamp 13's, while the CX-9 is more than adequate for any 13'er and some 16'ers as well. The CX-5 has pretty consistently ranked near the top of its class for reliability. The CX-9’s record is somewhat mixed. That’s the only caution I’d offer.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #50

Ontario
Registry
2019 Mazda CX-5 with 2000 lbs add transaxle cooler and looks like a go; refer to original post. 13' boler so most likely under 1000 lbs we use a wd system to tow with fixes the tongue weight but at 100 lbs or less recommended for cars 8 to 9 percent do not think there is a problem. WD really is more for larger trailers but they must have one that light. At 1000 would need a tongue weight of only 80 to 90 with a car. The trailer would likely be under 1000 lbs.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:45 PM   #51

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
...13' boler so most likely under 1000 lbs ...The trailer would likely be under 1000 lbs.
Reality check from the "Trailer Weights in the Real World" database.
Weights are axle, tongue, total (pounds).

13' Boler Weights
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boler Weights.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	139111

13' Scamp Weights
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp Weights.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	139112

Admittedly small sample sizes, but none under 1000#. Not even close. Most exceed 200# on the tongue.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #52

North Carolina
Sorry to have sort of hijacked the OP's thread. I was piggy backing on his concern about towing the Scamp 13 with a CX-5. The CX-9 was on my list of possibilities for towing so I chimed in. After researching and reflection, I'm veering toward the Highlander now anyway. Lots to consider and learn on this adventure. Thanks for the input.

I haven't bought said trailer yet, so a bigger tow rating would be nice and offer some flexibility.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #53

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaVicki View Post
Sorry to have sort of hijacked the OP's thread. I was piggy backing on his concern about towing the Scamp 13 with a CX-5. The CX-9 was on my list of possibilities for towing so I chimed in. After researching and reflection, I'm veering toward the Highlander now anyway. Lots to consider and learn on this adventure. Thanks for the input.

I haven't bought said trailer yet, so a bigger tow rating would be nice and offer some flexibility.
Good thinking here. The Highlander gives you options and flexibility, and its a fine vehicle.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #54

Arizona
Registry
That’s certainly a solid choice. Good reliability and, at 5000# towing, a number of larger trailers are back on the table, now or in the future if your needs change.

The 5000# class is tow-tested with a minimum 40 sf box trailer.

Three-row crossovers are a crowded field, and you would do well to check out some of the competition. I have found Honda seats more supportive for all-day driving. Of course that’s a very personal call, but don’t underestimate its importance. Nothing worse than squirming all day trying to get comfortable and arriving with an aching back.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:34 AM   #55

North Carolina
Jon,
I thought the Pilot would be great but the new ones have an issue with the infotainment system-class action law suit etc. It kind of scared me away. The Highlander does too-that being with the transmission. Ugh. I am probably over-thinking this. It seems almost any brand will have problems in some area.

The Mazda was rated # 1 in reliability this year, but I'm not sure it's the best choice for towing. Highlander Hybrid is on my list and yes, still the Highlander gas and Pilot.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #56

Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the exciting world of vehicle-shopping! Thanks to the internet, we have more information about vehicles than ever before, but it can be hard to sort the facts from the noise.

Seems like you are putting together a solid short list. Whether to keep the CX-9 on it is your call. The lower tow rating means few trailer choices, but it will be fine with a 13-16’ trailer. With a 5000# rating, you can move into the 17-19’ class. The final purchase may well be influenced by driving impressions, cost and availability, and the “just-feels-right” factor.

I had heard about the Honda infotainment woes. I've always thought Honda could use some help with user interface. We've had three, and all had some oddly placed controls. Sad because they're otherwise solid vehicles.

Tags
scamp