Hi, New (to me) Scamp 19 owner from Las Vegas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2020, 11:21 PM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Hi, New (to me) Scamp 19 owner from Las Vegas

Hello...

I belive I actually created an account here 7 or 8 years ago to do research on a fiberglass unit. Well life got in the way a little, but I finally got my rig.

I bought a 2001 Scamp 19. The hitch didn't come with it, but it arrived from Scamp yesterday. I guess Scamp modified the hitch since the only pics I could find show a different kind. This is just a modified 5th wheel setup.

I'll be pulling the (reported) 2,600lb trailer with a 2012 Ram 1500 with 5.7. It's rated at 8,600lb and the hitch is rated at 16,000. So I don't forsee and issues.

I am sure I will have lots of questions down the line, but I wanted to say 'Hi'
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:56 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Fifth wheel hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfleissner View Post
I guess Scamp modified the hitch since the only pics I could find show a different kind. This is just a modified 5th wheel setup.

I'll be pulling the (reported) 2,600lb trailer with a 2012 Ram 1500 with 5.7. It's rated at 8,600lb and the hitch is rated at 16,000. So I don't forsee and issues.
'
Welcome back! I think that hitch style is a recent change.

As soon as you get things set up, you will want to go to a Scale. I'm not sure how to get a hitch weight on a 19'. On my 16' I put the wheels on one scale platform and the hitch held up by a board on another platform. (3,000 lbs)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:07 AM   #3

Nevada
Thanks Kenneth.

Why do I want to weigh it? Even if the 'reported' weight is 50% wrong, it is still well under any of my limits.

And yes, the hitch style isn't even the same as it shows on Scamp's website. It is truly a 5th wheel (it even says so on one of the boxes) with a flat plate with a ball added.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:42 AM   #4

Wisconsin
Registry
I like to know what I'm towing

Quote:
Thanks Kenneth.

Why do I want to weigh it? Even if the 'reported' weight is 50% wrong, it is still well under any of my limits.

My paper work showed a shipping weight of 1,750 weight on the scale was 2,360 lbs. I would just like to know the weight of any trailer I towed.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:32 AM   #5

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
If nothing else, you'll be able to calculate the proper tongue weight. Being light in the tongue is bad no matter how beefy your tow vehicle is.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
If nothing else, you'll be able to calculate the proper tongue weight. Being light in the tongue is bad no matter how beefy your tow vehicle is.
Not much worry about that with a fifth wheel style.

Another good reason to know the actual weight is tires. At one time some S19's came with very marginally-rated tires from the factory. Even if they have been replaced with better ones, it's worth checking (dates, as well as weight rating). They're probably fine, but as the most failure prone component of the running gear, I like plenty of margin on tires.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
Speed rating also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not much worry about that with a fifth wheel style.

Another good reason to know the actual weight is tires. At one time some S19's came with very marginally-rated tires from the factory. Even if they have been replaced with better ones, it's worth checking (dates, as well as weight rating). They're probably fine, but as the most failure prone component of the running gear, I like plenty of margin on tires.
Most of the Scamps come with 60 MPH tires. I like sixty, I find it to be a comfortable speed, but on some highways you chance getting rear ended. I find 70 safer, I got 80 MPH tires so that I could prevent getting rear ended as hard. Also here is a guide for date codes.
Attached Thumbnails
date code.jpg  
Old 10-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Most of the Scamps come with 60 MPH tires. I like sixty, I find it to be a comfortable speed, but on some highways you chance getting rear ended. I find 70 safer, I got 80 MPH tires so that I could prevent getting rear ended as hard. Also here is a guide for date codes.
I meant weight rating, not speed rating. It's only recently that load range D has become widely available in smaller ST tires. Most originally came with load range C. A 2001 is unlikely to be riding on the factory rubber, but if they were replaced with the same size and weight rating, they could be marginal. Along with a date code, there is a weight rating in pounds and kilograms molded into the tire (per tire, so double for the axle, but remember that one side is often up to 10% heavier than the other).

Speed ratings have also generally increased (mine were originally 65 mph from the factory). I rarely go much faster than that, but I like ample margin on all aspects of a trailer tire.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #9

Nevada
I appreciate the information. I suspect that I will be upgrading and going to 15" tires soon as it looks like even on the lowest hitch setting, the truck will be 2-3" higher than the trailer
Old 10-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #10

Nebraska
Raise the Scamp or Lower the Tow Vehicle

Quote:
I appreciate the information. I suspect that I will be upgrading and going to 15" tires soon as it looks like even on the lowest hitch setting, the truck will be 2-3" higher than the trailer

With my 19' Scamp, my current tow vehicle is a mid size Chevy S10... even with my S10, I am on the lowest hitch setting, which is about right for level towing. I mentioned this to my mechanic as he and I were talking about me getting a new pickup... such as an F150 or Silverado. I was concerned that a new pickup would be too high for my Scamp...

Not to worry, he said. He told me about pickup lowering kits, which I hadn't known about, but didn't surprise me. There are such kits for the Ram 1500:

https://www.americantrucks.com/ram-lowering-kits.html
RaceEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:59 AM   #11

Nevada
Hey Jon,

Yea I know about lowering, leveling (because Rams come with about a 3 inch lift in the rear so that when towing it will be level or close to level) and raising.

It seems Ram owners aren't happy with the factory stance..

I think I will (at least) try going to a taller tire
Old 10-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceEasy View Post
With my 19' Scamp, my current tow vehicle is a mid size Chevy S10... even with my S10, I am on the lowest hitch setting, which is about right for level towing. I mentioned this to my mechanic as he and I were talking about me getting a new pickup... such as an F150 or Silverado. I was concerned that a new pickup would be too high for my Scamp...

Not to worry, he said. He told me about pickup lowering kits, which I hadn't known about, but didn't surprise me. There are such kits for the Ram 1500:

I only managed to get my Scamp 19 because a sale fell through, due to the tow truck being too high for it. The previous owner told me he almost had it sold. That was winter 2013. I still feel I was very lucky.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Registry
Towing 19' Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceEasy View Post
With my 19' Scamp, my current tow vehicle is a mid size Chevy S10... even with my S10,

The old Scamp video promoted towing with the OLD ford Ranger. Some 19s are lighter than my 16. The NEW rangers would do even better.
Attached Thumbnails
Ranger.jpg  
Old 10-31-2020, 01:32 AM   #14

Nevada
FYI...

Even on their website, Scamp shows the trailer being pulled by a full sized trailer. This is not to say that smaller trucks can't handle it.

And as soon as the hitch is installed, I'll take pics. It is a standard 5th wheel setup (even the boxes say 5th wheel) except for the ball instead of a plate. Rated at 16,000 pounds
Old 11-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #15

Name: Oly
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Washington
Quote:
Hello...

I belive I actually created an account here 7 or 8 years ago to do research on a fiberglass unit. Well life got in the way a little, but I finally got my rig.

I bought a 2001 Scamp 19. The hitch didn't come with it, but it arrived from Scamp yesterday. I guess Scamp modified the hitch since the only pics I could find show a different kind. This is just a modified 5th wheel setup.

I am sure I will have lots of questions down the line, but I wanted to say 'Hi'
Congratulations! We love our Scamp 19!
Rainier32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #16

Name: David
Michigan
Registry
I have had both the old & new Scamp 5th wheel hitches. While the new one is more expensive, it it much easier to live with because all but the 2 rails on the bed come out.
cyberbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #17

Nevada
Thanks folks... I got the hitch installed 2 days ago and brought the camper home. Immediate things to do are to see the easiest way to try and level it to the truck. I am thinking bigger tires. I also want to have an extension welded to the hitch setup as I would like the ball to sit about 4-5 inches back.

We were finally able to test all the systems and everything works well.

I do have a question. Is the fridge only thing that runs off the 12v (as well as the propane and 110)? I want to add some 12v LEDs as well as some USB ports. I assume that I can just find the 12v red & black wires and add (with inline fuses) as I would any 12v vehicle.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Furnace blower, water pump, power roof vent, bathroom vent, charging ports, and LP detector are other common 12V items.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #19

Nevada
Thank you Jon.

Tags
scamp