Scamp 13 2012 Lift - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 2012 13'
Colorado
Scamp 13 2012 Lift

Howdy Y'all!

My little camper is just a little too close to the ground and I think a bit of a lift will do us a lot of good. Just wondering what the community thinks is enough to get us to where we want to go.

My little camper bottoms out at the tongue and tail too often when searching out those great parking spots. Usually it is a small creek crossing or empty gully that causes some stress for my wife and copilot when I drag some bumper in the dirt. We have not caused any non-cosmetic damage yet but it would be nice to avoid some of the scraping and grinding that happens.

My question to you is how many inches is enough and what kind of hardware is best?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04108-L.jpg  
MLWarshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:59 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Lift kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLWarshaw View Post
Howdy Y'all!

My question to you is how many inches is enough and what kind of hardware is best?
E-trailer sold me a 3.5 inch lift kit for my 16'. There are a couple of styles for the bolt on axles.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:01 AM   #3

Colorado
Was the 3.5 inches enough to eliminate most of the bumper drag problems?
Old 12-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:

Are you sure your axle isn’t in need of replacement
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That depends on where and how you drive. AC0GV has a 16’er with a higher stock axle and a longer rear overhang, so it has a different basic geometry.

On your 13’er I would think 3.5” would make a very significant difference, and it’s the low-hanging fruit. I’ve taken my stock ‘08 13’er down a couple of bad roads without hitting anything. It did require close attention to the task: keeping tires on the high ground and crossing dips, humps, and washouts at an angle. Another 3.5” would definitely make it easier.

Speaking of low-hanging fruit, have you swapped the protruding tongue jack for a swing-away?

The Cadillac solution might include replacing the factory axle with a Flexi-Ride torsion axle with adjustable start angle. Warning, though- it has shorter arms, so installation requires relocating the mounting brackets to keep the wheels centered in the wells. You could also do a direct bolt-in, fixed-angle axle swap, but if you’re going to that much expense, you might as well spend a little more for the Flexi-Ride. It’s a better axle all around, and it allows you to dial down the lift before a highway-only trip for better aerodynamics and handling. (It’s actually a little more complicated than a dial, but it can be done in your driveway in around an hour.)

For myself, I’d try the easy lift kit solution first.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
No problems dragging

Quote:
I did the lift to get 14" tires to clear, the only bumper drag problem I had was at some gas stations. That was OK if I drove in at an angle.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
I’m wondering if getting bigger wheels would work, is there room in the wheelwells for larger diameter tires? I’m on a budget, so that seems cheaper if it would work.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:46 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Not on my 16'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
I’m wondering if getting bigger wheels would work, is there room in the wheelwells for larger diameter tires? I’m on a budget, so that seems cheaper if it would work.
The two sides were not the same so I cut them to match and still had to put the lift in.
Attached Thumbnails
WHEEL R 1.jpg   WHEEL R 2.jpg  

Old 12-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
You’d have to go pretty high on the lift before larger wheels/tires will fit a 13’er. The tightest clearance is next to the door, and that can’t be trimmed.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #10
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Scamp 13 2012 lift

My Scamp 2020 wheels are within the wheel well and I was able to put my hands in to put wheel covers on so I thought 14” would fit.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Just remember that for every 1” larger diameter tire, you will only gain 1/2” in over all vehicle height. I had put a flexiride axle under our 13’scamp so I could adjust the ride height as needed, and it worked out very well. You can click on my name over our avatar picture and then on public profile....you can then view our photo albums (one for scamp and one for Lil Snoozy).
Good luck. Keep us posted with your progress.
Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:55 PM   #12

Colorado
In response to the new axle suggestion: No but it it is only 8 years old with less than 15,000 miles. I have been good about keeping it well greased but I certainly have been adventurous with our rig if it makes any difference.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:04 AM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
The cost of the lift kit and installation should be about $200. A set of 3 new rims and tires is going to be more expensive and a whole lot less of a lift.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
In response to the new axle suggestion: No but it it is only 8 years old with less than 15,000 miles. I have been good about keeping it well greased but I certainly have been adventurous with our rig if it makes any difference.
No reason it should need replacing, and in your photo the ride height looks about right for the older 22.5* up angle factory axle used in 2012. It should easily last 15-20 years. “Adventurous” use might diminish it a little, but at 8 years, you should have plenty of life left. Only caveat is if you happen to catch the axle tube on an obstacle and bend it, you’re done. They’re not considered repairable. At that point you can get one with a down angle to put the tube up out of harm’s way.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Scamp has quit using the 22.5° UP axle with 7" Brakes and now uses a
0° axle with 10" brakes.

My Scamp13D had the same height issues as yours from new.
We decided last summer to replace the original axle to get the additional clearance and better brakes.
I also went from weld-on to bolt-on.
I am very pleased with the results and no longer need to take extreme care when entering a driveway for a fuel stop or restaurant.
We have about 3" more clearance which is plenty.

You could just remove your axle and reinstall it with a 3" lift spacer.
Increasing tire/wheel size would not really help much and could actually exacerbate your problems.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #16

Name: Bridget
Maryland
Axle Replacement

Can the Scamp 13' axle be replaced with Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System?
BridgetMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetMills View Post
Can the Scamp 13' axle be replaced with Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System?
Yes, but it probably requires some reinforcement of the frame. How much depends on the intended use.

The Timbren axle-less suspension is typically used for serious off-road travel, something the factory frame isn’t really designed for. The one or two Scamps I’ve seen with this suspension got all-new, heavy-duty frames and lots of other upgrades for backcountry use.

What’s your goal for this project?
Old 12-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #18

Maryland
I want to Overland with the camper and was looking for a way to both increase clearance and improve suspension. The camper isn't old, so I don't need to replace the entire frame.

Using the existing axle, any suggestions on the best way to get lift?
Old 12-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetMills View Post
Using the existing axle, any suggestions on the best way to get lift?
See post #2. You could send AC0GV a private message if you'd like a link to the specific product.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #20

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
See post #2.

Tags
scamp