Wood floor replacement on a 13 ft boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Surfside tm14
Alberta
Wood floor replacement on a 13 ft boler

So I have my frame out with only one small crack,now I want to replace the wood floor.is it best to leave the fiberglassed wood in place and just cut around the edge on like 30 degree angle and the same on the new piece? Or is there a better way.thanks form grande prairie ab
Rv tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv tech View Post
So I have my frame out with only one small crack,now I want to replace the wood floor.is it best to leave the fiberglassed wood in place and just cut around the edge on like 30 degree angle and the same on the new piece? Or is there a better way.thanks form grande prairie ab
Some Boler's have a completely glassed in floor (later models) mine a 1971 had wood exposed floors glassed in around the edges of the body on both the top and underside of the floor. I cut through the top layer of fiberglass right at the body with a dremel plunge cut tool and left the underside glass in tack and slowly pulled and pryed to wood off so that the glass on the underside left a lip for my new wood to rest on to assist in getting the new wood floor to line up in the same spot all the way around the body. The front upper floor came out easily, the upper dinette was a challenge and I had to take it out in 3 pieces (save them and use it as a template to cut the new wood). The sides we a little difficult to remove with the wheel wells...I have a few pictures on my thread, Our 1971 13' Boler Mods.

Leaving the lip is important as if the body doesn't line up to the wood floor exactly the same it can cause the body to buck or twist which can cause stress cracks in places or even cause fit problems with your door.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #3

Name: Marya
Trailer: '72 Boler
Ontario
Johnny M we are currently restoring our ‘72 Boler. We have the shell off the frame and are wanting to replace the floor. It also just has about a 3” lip of fiber glass on top and bottom of the plywood. We plan to cut through the top layer as you suggest and pry out the plywood, there is one section that is pretty rotted so it may be tough but we are hoping to keep as much of the bottom lip intact as best we can.
My questions is, when you installed the new plywood, did you refiberglass both the top and bottom lips to attach to the new plywood? I can’t find any suggestions as to how to position the Boler (or myself) to best apply to the underside fiber glass. I saw one YouTube video of someone flipping the whole Boler on its side to get good positioning, I’m hoping there is another way. Did you just lack it up high and work over head? Thank you for your help!!!
MaryaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:44 AM   #4

Name: Phil
Trailer: 1972 Boler
British Columbia
Reviving an old thread but I'm about to do the exact same. Curious to see how other people have done it.
PhilBeTheMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 10:59 AM   #5

Name: LouAnn
Trailer: 1972 American Boler
NY
New thread: Wood floor replacement

1972 Boler American has wood floor. I have a lot of questions. When I look under neath, I see plywood. How is that protected.
Loubec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler