1974 Boler 13 New to Me - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Ontario
1974 Boler 13 New to Me

Hello to the group
I am the new owner of a 1974 Boler 13 and would like some ideas/suggestions on my trailer. I live in Ontario. Canada

My Boler has been painted at one time probably using a roller and brush, underneath the paint is the outline of a wide stripe and possibly one or two small stripes, I am not able to remove any paint to see the underlying colour, the stripes may have been removed but the backing was left behind.
Has anyone seen a Boler 13 with stripes and would you have pictures, I want to repaint the Boler some time and would be interested in returning it to original paint scheme. It appears to be white top over a yellow bottom. The stripes were just above the waist line.

Secondly, I am considering mounting a flexible solar panel to the roof, I see in the comments on various panels that heat and de-lamination are a problem, what are your experiences and how might I space the panel off the roof without drilling holes in the fiberglass, I would prefer something like 3m tape if possible.

Thank You for any suggestions
Kevin
Kevin_Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #2

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
here's a common colour stripe on a 77' 17' Boler
Attached Thumbnails
Side View Aug 2016.jpg   Front View Aug2016.jpg  

daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #3

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Roof mounted solar panels generate an enormous amount of discussion on this site with opinions ranging from tape to bolting on. Personally, if I was mounting my solar panel, I would go rigid panel and fibreglass the mounts to the roof for security, airflow and maintenance (tape is good but the tug on the tape weakens it over time if you are doing any service or repairs).
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #4

Ontario
Thank you for the pictures.
The stripes on my Boler are both above the belly band, the lowest one is about 2 1/2" wide and the second about 1 1/2" wide and about an inch above the first. I haven't been able to discover their colors yet.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #5

Ontario
Hi Niicolas, thank you for the answer, I would really not want to put holes in the roof of my trailer, to me its the same as putting holes in the bottom of my boat .
I also don't want to mount a flat panel on the roof because I don't want to drastically change the outline of the trailer. I may just stay with my fixed panel on an external mount.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #6

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Lemon View Post
Hi Niicolas, thank you for the answer, I would really not want to put holes in the roof of my trailer, to me its the same as putting holes in the bottom of my boat .
I also don't want to mount a flat panel on the roof because I don't want to drastically change the outline of the trailer. I may just stay with my fixed panel on an external mount.

One of the wonders of fibreglass is its ability to be repaired and bonded together. My suggestion comes from the Gougeon Brothers’ Fibreglass Repair manuals. They recommend determining where you want your mounts to go; rough the area with sandpaper; mix a fibreglass bonding paste; apply to the roughed area; stick the mounting into the paste; allow to dry; finish the base of the mount with more paste and then with fairing compound. As you can see, there are no holes and therefore no risk of making the roof like the bottom of your boat.
However, like your decision to not change the outline of your trailer, I too went with a flat panel which is external and well chained to my Boler since apart from the aesthetics, I am limited height-wise by a garage door.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler