Boler Front and rear windows sealing questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

Name: Cesar
Trailer: Boler American
Oregon
Boler Front and rear windows sealing questions

Hello again!

I am having some issues getting my front and rear windows to seal.

Background:
-1972 Boler American which i got mid-resto from last owner
-I have done a lot of searching using the trusty "keyword site:fiberglassrv.com"
-I have read lots and watched quite a few videos of how to install.
-We are using the plexi windows that came with the trailer (they seem old, but we cleaned them and buffed them to an acceptable state)
-I purchased Trim Lok part number LK987 (single piece locking).

Install:
-The install went rather easy, i am certain that the seal is well seated to the shell including around the bends.
-Installing the window into seal was also fairly easy with 1 person helping me.
-The locking flap required more coercing but it wasn't deadly difficult. we used a soapy solution and a couple of plastic bike tire levers
-The rear window seemed to go into the seal way too easy, and there was basically a tiny gap at one of the corners.
-We tested them by spraying some water over the top of the shell (no direct presure into the gasket) and the gasket leaked quickly and profusely at both places (shell-to-gasket and window-to gasket)
-Note: This is all installed on a "bare shell" no insulation inside, but i dont believe this should make a difference

This leads me to believe that the windows i have are too small for the shell openings. Here are my two questions:

1) Just to 100% clarify, there is no goop or butyl or any other sealant necessary for a water proof seal, correct? I believe the "pressure" in the seal/shell/window is what keeps things sealed...

2) What is the "gap" between the window and the opening supposed to be? from the image below, i think its as simple as the opening size minus 0.53" (2x 0.265). I just want to verify this as well.

We are probably going to buy new windows, but we would hate to have the wrong sizes cut...

Cesar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, windows