Play Pac Redo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Quote:
As promised. Pictures:

Play Pac As Purchased

The fiberglass is barely showing any oxidation or pitting. Now that I have it in my possession; I'm gonna start asking questions!

Bonnie

Before it got too hot today, I measured the PP and got a real feel for it's interior. One thing I noticed and would like comments on is that one portion of the ridge that makes up the roof shelf was thin enough to let a kind of orange gimmer glow through. It does not feel weak or look repaired. And I don't remember any such glimmer in yesterday's bright sunlight inspection. I haven't crawled up on a ladder yet, but there's no evidence of any leaks or anything. Vic had mentioned a roof repair, could this be a part of that, I wonder and do I need to add some fiberglass to the portion that's thin?

I tried to take a picture, but it didn't come out. That's how minimal the show through is.

Easier question #2. I would like to cover the running light wires. Would standard Lowes' variety conduit cover work?

Thanks for reading and helping.

Bonnie
Old 08-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
The stock wall covering of the PlayPac was a like a thick vinyl wallpaper. It looks like that's been removed from yours and the bare fiberglass painted. The walls are a little variable. They look like they were molded in a manner similar to most of the other eggs except that a thin foam insulation was incorporated during the molding process. In short: The mold would have been hit with gel coat, then fiberglass. Pink foam panels were then glassed into large portions of the flat areas of the walls/ceiling and then more glass shot on top of that so that the foam was totally encapsulated. You're likely seeing sunlight through one of the areas that didn't get the foam. Same was true of mine before I added the carpet.

Running light wires:
Any sort of cover would do - it's only 12V. I'd recommend some sort of wall covering over the glass (vinyl, carpet, headliner etc) and the wires can just go under that.

Wall coverings: Another option I originally wanted to use on the PlayPac but didn't do was wood paneling. Since the trailer is so squarish, it wouldn't be TOO hard to cut paneling or thin plywood to fit the walls. I DID use that approach in the baby toy hauler I'm working on (It's got a fiberglass body... it counts. ) I glued furring strips to the walls and then screwed luan plywood to the furring strips. A bit on the heavy side - but very pretty.

That one wheel though... I'd be very worried about that. The PlayPac takes a very commonly available wheel however. I bought a spare for mine at the local small-town tire shop and they had them laying around in stock.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Wall coverings: Another option I originally wanted to use on the PlayPac but didn't do was wood paneling. Since the trailer is so squarish, it wouldn't be TOO hard to cut paneling or thin plywood to fit the walls. I DID use that approach in the baby toy hauler I'm working on (It's got a fiberglass body... it counts. ) I glued furring strips to the walls and then screwed luan plywood to the furring strips. A bit on the heavy side - but very pretty.
Mike
Thanks for the reply. I will be replacing the one rim and probably all three tires. They are in good shape, but since I'm going to have to have the brakes checked and hooked up; I might as well have that done too.

About the walls, I'm thinking going the paneling route. There's some 1/8 - 1/4 'decorative' wall panels at Lowes I liked. Furring and that would dress the inside up nicely. Would I need to allow some sort of access to the running light wiring, do you think? Or just cover it up.

Then there's the roof. It would need something. I wonder if ceiling paint would stick well enough to use?

Planning well underway.

Bonnie
Old 08-05-2007, 11:28 PM   #4

The curves in the ceiling DO make the paneling idea awkward up there. I'm sure that paint would stick well enough.

One idea I had (but didn't do obviously) was to push the overhead storage cabinets all the way out to that curve in the ceiling. That way the curve was inside the cabinet (I left the walls bare inside most of the storage areas, carpet in some). With the curves covered up, paneling could be stuck on the top too.

Access to wiring:
In the PlayPac, I just glued up my carpet over any wiring that wasn't running inside cabinets.

In the baby toy hauler it's behind the wood paneling. The panels are held up with screws so I CAN pull them to fiddle with wiring if need be. Shouldn't be neccessary all that often however. (I hope)

I've been really lax about documenting the construction of the toy hauler conversion. I'll try to snap a couple shots of the interior as it currently is and post them. Should let you see what it looks like generally. The main difference is that my trailer is going to end up being mostly open space with very little dedicated spaces. Part of the cost of accomodating the bike. I COULD have done more than I have - but I wanted to retain the option of turning it into a 2-bike hauler in future so I avoided too much internal works. Won't look nearly as nice as the PlayPac ended up - but it'll still be functional.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A quick note on wiring. I would use wire manufactured to SAE (Society of Automobile Engineers) specifications. The insulation is teflon type that take a lot of heat to burn. Standard wire you'd get at your local hardware store is probably has vinyl insulation, which burns quite easily. Also the SAE specifications require abrasive resistance, not too much a problem inside fiberglass trailers, but could be for the brake wiring.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I'm still looking at options, but I really like the idea of panels. I'm an allergy sufferer and I think hard walls would be easier to deal with. Especially when Daisy the wonder dog, goes with me.

Bryon, thanks for the warning. I was aware of the differing types of casing. I'm not very electrically inclined, so the Play Pac will be going into the shop this week for that work to be done.

Bonnie
Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
I'm an allergy sufferer and I think hard walls would be easier to deal with. Especially when Daisy the wonder dog, goes with me.
At Bullards, I had a couple friends come down from Portland to stay with me a couple of days. One of them is allergic to... oh, air and everything else...(you know the type)

He was able to spend much time in my Burro without breaking out into whatever he does when he does... and I made no special accommodation for him.. the dogs had been in the trailer for a week prior to his arrival.

I attribute this to the smooth walls 100%.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #8

Smooth walls and allergies:

I hadn't considered it that way - but I've no doubt that's true. They're also easier to clean.

On a similar note: I personally like the old-style ensolite wall coverings MUCH better than the carpet-type-stuff that's been used for the last 20 years. There's just nothing you can do to fix the carpet or rat fur. With the ensolite, you can scrub it down with some very serious cleaners, reglue with relative ease, paint it etc etc.

Mike
Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #9

I emailed one of the ensolite companies for info and samples. Just so happens they are in St. Louis!

Dumb sort of question, but I haven't ever looked closely at an egg -- is the ensolite put all over the walls, i.e. even behind cabinets? Wondering if that would be easier/cheaper than panels?

On the tray ceiling, I thought I might put el lights in the recessed areas. They probably wouldn't put out enough light for primary lighting, but they would be neat and set off the ceiling nicely.

Bonnie
Old 08-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
I'll try to snap a couple shots of the interior as it currently is and post them. Should let you see what it looks like generally. The main difference is that my trailer is going to end up being mostly open space with very little dedicated spaces.
I'd love to see pictures.

Bonnie
Old 08-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #11

Update. The PP is home and my wallet's lighter.

Had done:

A New Battery, box and 7 pin connection.
2 new tires and rims
New brake pads, etc. and hooked up.
Replaced door handle
Brake controller for the Jeep

Here's a couple of pics:

New battery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hpim0666.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	9444

New Tires with racing stripped rims. They are 14" rims and the folks at Camper Exchange said the ones on the trailer were actually car tires. These won't bang the inside of the wheel well so much.

Name:	hpim0668.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	9445

Brake controller is a Tekonsha Primus 90155, proportional braking system. Box says it can control up to 3 braking axles, has a braking sensor, continual diagnostics to check the connection, a large digital readout, detachable power cord and quick release mounting system. 15 year warrenty. Under $100 and has a $20 rebate right now. Works great.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Glad to see its coming together for you.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #13

My first outing with the PP, that's not to an RV dealer ( ) is Labor Day weekend.

In honor of the occasion, I now have a kitchen.

It has a stainless steel sink and drain area, which I really like. The whole thing is too long for the inside of the camper, so I removed the right shelf and will store it. Someday I plan to use this outside the trailer, when I get the interior redone.

Eventually, I'm going to remove the water inlet plug for a water hose and I'll have inside running water. Just thought about it and I'll hook everything up outside the PP first, just to make sure there's no leaks.
With the Porta Potti and the Colman battery shower, I'm pretty much set -- a PPB&B.

Bonnie
Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #14

I can now say I've driven and towed in sub-freezing weather.

Picked up the PP on Saturday and the 120 volt wiring redo is great. I did take pictures, but haven't resized them yet. I'll post them later. I brought the rig home and ran an extension cord out there and hooked up my little space heater. Viola! The egg warmed up pretty well. Enough in 17 degree F. weather to take off my coat. It actually got up to about 58 degrees within about 45 minutes.

'Course the insides are still naked as a jay bird, so there wasn't all that much to heat.

I eventually took it over to the local Fiberglass wizards to have them look at the one window that leaks and will most probably need replaced. They aren't open on Sat or Sun, so I will drop in on my way home and get things rolling.

Got the camping itch again. Won't be long until I can get back to putting innards into the PP.

Bonni
Old 03-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #15

Just thought I'd throw an update out there. Over the winter, I spent $$$ getting various supplies for the Egg Krate. In no particular order:

Water Inlet valve. All in one thing from West Marine.
30 Watt Solar Panel and controller.
Fused switch box with volt meter and 12 volt plug
Wall table (2)
Two wall scone type lamps
Back up camera and 2.5" TV (This may or may not work)
Various racks, hangers and other stuff.
Fabric for curtains and cushions.

Matter of fact, if I don't start putting this stuff in the PP, I'm going to run out of room in the house.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My house is like that

At least I have a first in first out system. I am afraid I will run out of space before I find the time. Ugh!

So, where are the pictures?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #17

I'm dedicating most of this weekend to working on the egg. I hope to have the bed in place and take some pictures of the other stuffs. My first camping trip is mid-May, so I need to get cracking. Not having the Egg here at the house has slowed down progress considerably.

Well, in construction anyhow. I still seem to be able to spend $$$. :

Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
I'm dedicating most of this weekend to working on the egg. I hope to have the bed in place and take some pictures of the other stuffs. My first camping trip is mid-May, so I need to get cracking. Not having the Egg here at the house has slowed down progress considerably.

Well, in construction anyhow. I still seem to be able to spend $$$. :
Bonnie
I know what you mean about the money!
I moved the Scamp back home last week to prevent it from needing boat plates instead of just trailer plates and with the way the weather has been today and is forecast I am not moving it back to storage too fast.

I had it down between Fenton and Arnold in Jefferson County and though the Meremec and the creek are back in their banks now,they look like they are having second thoughts after today.

In the last two weeks we have had every kind of weather there is and now there are severe storm warnings.
Hope it goes well this weekend,I may give you a call.

Oh yeah,having it back at home has had me inside it every night even if I am just sitting there thinking of spending money.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #19

I'm very glad I'm not alone.

I didn't get much done, but I did get most of the rest of the 12volt electric stuff. Including a 12" neon tube. My local Car Parts store put all their car lights on clearance. Good time to visit. Didn't have hardly anything in white though.

I have rather largish collection of electrical do dads now. Some switches, inline fuses, liquid tape, battery disconnect, marine terminals, #10 wiring in red and black and a windshield washer pump.

Name:   HPIM0749.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  26.9 KB

got the Marine West switched fuse box out and I'm kinda confused. Here's the front:

Name:	HPIM0741.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	12361

Here's the back. There's only a connector for the + side. The directions weren't helpful. I guess, I'm supposed to know what I'm doing.

Name:   HPIM0740.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  20.8 KB

Got to look at it some more. ...

Old 03-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #20

I also decided, finally, on the flooring. I went with a one part epoxy and the shaker flakes. The picture doesn't show it, but the shaker has a med and light tan and white. It's called sand. It will go with the fabric I have for cushions and such. Here's a glimpse.

Name:   HPIM0731.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  31.0 KB

I will post how that great adventure goes. The 1--part can be tinted, so I went with a med tan (country oak) to compliment the other colors. I also hope it won't show the dirt so much.

Here's two shots of the fabric. The 2nd one is for roll up shades and valances. There's also a solid brown for accents.

Name:   HPIM0742.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  22.7 KB
Attached Images

Tags
play–pac