Scamp 16 - Dometic AC Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: 2011 - Scamp 16
Texas
Scamp 16 - Dometic AC Help

Howdy!
I am new to Scamp trailers. I have admired them for many years! Finally... after years of dreaming and saving, I was blessed with my first scamp trailer a few week ago. I am in Texas and many RV repair shops are not familiar with this brand, I need to replace the AC unit but I am concerned that during the installation they may damage the fiberglass trailer.

Also, I called scamp and they said I can purchase the Dometic unit anywhere here in Texas to avoid high shipping costs.

I would appreciate advice from all of you.

Many thanks,

Elizabeth
estackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #2

Name: Kirk and Jeannie
Trailer: Scamp 16 layout 6
Kansas
Registry
Scamp 16 - Dometic AC Help

Elizabeth - The AC on our 2012 Scamp16 died while on a trip. Camping World replaced it in just a few hours. The new Dometic AC works well and there are no leaks. The footprint of the AC is a little different, so I need to clean up some dirt of the roof, but otherwise the folks at Camping World had no problems installing the replacement. I hope that this helps.
mcclurekirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I wonder if Casita would be willing to do the install.. they are in Texas and the campers are very similar.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #4

Texas
Thank you very much, I appreciate your help!
Elizabeth
Old 08-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
What exactly is the problem with your air conditioner?

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #6

Texas
It just died - I tried to reset the breakers with no luck. The A.C. is original (2011) to the trailer.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #7

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by estackhouse View Post
It just died - I tried to reset the breakers with no luck. The A.C. is original (2011) to the trailer.
Mine is a 2008 Scamp and it did a similar thing. For me it turned out that my extension cord was not powerful enough. I bought a Camco 30amp extension cord and it turned back on again.

You'll need an adapter 30amp to 15amp to go to your house plug.

Adapter:
[/url]
Old 08-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #8

Texas
Ok. Let me check that - thank you!
Old 08-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #9

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Ok. Let me check that - thank you!
If you have a campground nearby, you can use your 30amp trailer plug and plug into the 30 amp receptacle at the campground, no need to get an extension cord...just to test it out.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Oh.. you probably dont need to replace it. likely just needs repair. The starter capacitor is one thing that can go bad. Its easy enough to check, and a cheap part.. but it will cost more to have a certified tech do it. Just tell the tech not to put his own weight on the roof.

I would start here.. https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/find-a-dealer
Old 08-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #11

Texas
Thank you ----- so much to learn! Elizabeth
Old 08-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #12

Texas
Update on my Scamp AC Issue

Howdy everyone!
First, I want to say thank you - you guys are better than my co-workers and discouraging family members.
I have learned so much thanks to your guidance and support. First, it turned out the AC was not dead, the breaker was not fully reset. Also, the brand is Coleman NOT Dometic - that is what the seller told me. Second, I did needed a better cable which I got with a power surge.

I think I am almost ready to take him camping. I have one more issue: I found a huge leak under the sink - it looks like the prior owner attempt to fix something because I can see a homemade fiberglass patch.

I was hoping that if I post a picture maybe you all can continue on guiding me? All the feedback has been so helpful!

Many thanks,

Elizabeth
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2619.jpg   IMG_2620.jpg  

Old 08-31-2020, 06:15 PM   #13

North Carolina
All those fittings with yellowish rings are the push on type, like Shark Bite brand. I never did have much faith in them. Its even possible that they are not for use with PEX (the white pipe on top in the first photo).. But IDK about that. Is the leak a problem now? Where is the water leaking?

The other fittings, and all the original ones no doubt, are Uponor Expansion style. Thats not a common system but you can use the much more common and standard PEX crimp or cinch rings with the appropriate fittings. Its a learning curve so hiring a plumber is a good option if you dont want to take it on yourself, and rent or buy the required tools. The biggest problem is usually gaining access to the work area.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:12 PM   #14

Texas
Thank you for your prompt reply!
That makes sense... every time I turn on the kitchen faucet the leak comes alive and it is quite a bit of water because it runs to the ground under the scamp.
I will follow your advice in getting a plumber - Perhaps I can learn how to fix it it the right way just in case it happens again somewhere else in the trailer.

Many thanks!

Elizabeth
Old 09-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If I am seeing that picture right the fiberglass patch seems to be on the wheel well. probably a repair from a blow out tire. before taking a big trip please check the date code of your tires and spare tire.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...of-your-tires#
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #16

Texas
Scamp - School :)

Oh MY GOODNESS!!! I am so glad you mentioned that...
At the beginning I was thinking it was mold but is not. I took the trailer to the tire shop and indeed, as you pointed out the tires look good in appearance but they were very old.

Thank you again... you guys are awesome!!!!

Please keep the feedback coming, I want to be safe.

Elizabeth
Old 09-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #17

Texas
Update on my Scamp learning Adventures

Hello Everyone!
I wanted to post an update on my Scamp adventures. I had a plumber checked the leak and the faucet had to be replaced...not too much trouble. Thank you again for your suggestions.
I am happy to inform that I was able to take the scamp on a trip during Labor Day weekend...it was great thanks to everyone's advice!!!

I continue to learn so much about the Scamp. Some learning experiences are not so great...but they become unforgettable. For instance, I was checking the tanks prior to leaving, as suggested in the forums, and I was under the impression that the prior owners surely had cleaned the tanks before selling it to me. So... I was in my driveway, and I opened the valve for the black tank out of curiosity and it turned out that the prior owners didn't empty the tanks!!!! Yes... your guess is correct...my entire driveway was suddenly covered with old feces...it was so gross!!! I said: "oh crap" and quickly reached for the water hose trying to hide the evidence in the grass before my neighbors found what had happened and report me to the HOA (Thank goodness for bleach).

I am sure this is will not be the last of my learning experiences.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Elizabeth
Old 09-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You should make a movie.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I bet you only make that mistake once. get someone to show you the sewer clean out plug for your house dump down there next time. just think next spring you grass will be tall and green in that spot and your neighbor will want to know your secret.
happy travels.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp